Cleaning Tips For First Time Caravan Owner

Hi my first caravan is arriving Saturday, she's been a bit neglected as of late and I'm dying to get cleaning inside and out. What can/can't I use? Can I use normal household cleaner? Also the omnivent looks a bit black, how should I clean it? Any advice/tips would be much aporeciated.

If the outside is bad, try Fenwick's caravan cleaner, you apply it either with a sponge, brush of spray it on working from the bottom up. Leave it to soak for a couple of minutes, but don't let it dry. I find washing down with a good car shampoo the a rinse works a treat. If you there are still black streaks in the paintwork, you could try a bit of T-Cut, but be gentle as caravan paint isn't very thick! Then either apply a wax polsh of something like Fenick's Bobby dazzler.

Think you can use the usual household cleaners on the inside. Found Cillit Bang Grease and Sparkle (purple and green bottle) really good at lifting grease. If you can get the omnivent parts down soak them in that and it should come up clean.

I was recommended to use autoglym car shampoo then autoglym super resin polish by Tourershine after they restored the paintwork on our van.

Inside just try not to use anything too harsh on your plastic shower or sink

Personally I would not take T-Cut anywhere near caravan paintwork except as a totally desperate measure. If using Fenwicks a 10% mixture in a small spray bottle will get rid of the black streaks.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Personally I would not take T-Cut anywhere near caravan paintwork except as a totally desperate measure. If using Fenwicks a 10% mixture in a small spray bottle will get rid of the black streaks.

I know waht you're saying, yes you're right you have to be careful with it as the paint is so thin. I use the T-Cut for metalic paint, it's finer than the standard one.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Initially I was sold on getting a caravan cover, however after reading posts on here I'm wondering if it's a waste of time? Seems like there are issues with mould/condensation, scratching etc. The van will be at the back of my house where there arre no trees, so will just be contending with rain, dust and bird poo!

Also is it worth joining a caravan club?

Opinions please. .. : )

Whether it is worth joining a caravan club depends on how many nights you wish to be away for and assumes that you don't want to keep using the same site. For me, whilst the re are some very good private sites the advantage of the two main clubs is that you know the standard you are likely to find before travelling and for many the fact that it gives access to many small (and usually cheaper) small 5 'van sites licensed by the two clubs. One attraction of the Caravan Club is that there is a good booking system, presently no minimum booking length and no deposits required. I have little idea about the Camping and Caravan Chub other than they are more variable in standard, allow tents whereas on many sites the CC doesn't, charge a deposit and have minimum booking length on some sites at some times of the year. A member will no doubt know more.

For me if you wish to get use out of a caravan the question should be 'which caravan should I join'.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Hi my first caravan is arriving Saturday, she's been a bit neglected as of late and I'm dying to get cleaning inside and out. What can/can't I use? Can I use normal household cleaner? Also the omnivent looks a bit black, how should I clean it? Any advice/tips would be much aporeciated.

On the inside you can unscrew the outer Omnivent cover and give it a good wash and then wipe the blades of the fan with a damp cloth. I suggest a regular vacuum of the Omnivent when cleaning the caravan. Use Pledge to spay polish onto woodwork and wipe down. leaves the caravan smelling nice and fresh. Also use Frebreeze on upholstery for that spring fresh smell. We careful of domestic cleaners in the toilet and preferable to use a recommended product.

Thank you for your help!

Can anyone tell me anything about the fold down tap in the kitchen? It seemed to me to be a bit loose - and I was wondering if I can tighten it up a bit myself?

I love this site, what a mine of information, just perfect for beginners like me : )