Avtex Aerial

chrisy

I'm coming to the conclusion that we should all go to the NEC next month and confront Avtex's rep (and Coachman et al) and say they're going to lose so much business unless they sort this out!

I did this last year,and the representative told me they were fed up as according to him it was the cheap internal cables and splitters and sockets that was causing the problem. He told me that one of there executives was having a meeting with someone from Elddis as it was effecting there reputation. I then went to speak to a Elddis representative. I was told the person who was dealing with it would be with me in 5 minutes. 25 minutes later no one turned up and being disabled and having nowhere to sit, I left.

I was told the person who was dealing with it would be with me in 5 minutes. 25 minutes later no one turned up and being disabled and having nowhere to sit, I left.

Yes sir, we're definitely going to sort it out. Yeah, this is business speak for 'f*** off, we aren't interested in your comments, we just want to sell vans.' Disgraceful, in any other industry they'd be long out of business.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Sadly Mal we have had to learn the hard way that your comments are spot on. They have well and truly kicked the enjoyment out of caravanning for ourselves,so much so we have cancelled our last break that we had booked in October as were fed up every time we go away something goes wrong. The van goes into the dealer again on Saturday for numerous fixes ( to many to put on here) . How the hell a company thinks that not having any quality control checks on there vans is good business is beyond me. But Elddis does. They know no matter what rubbish they throw out,it's going to be a hard long slog for the consumer to try and get the problems solved. Scoobz

• 3 months later...

Van went into dealer for many warranty items including Avtex aerial. Pleased to say we now have faultless TV reception (over a 10 day period) with the Avtex aerial much to my surprise. Required its amplifier being re-earthed with heavier guage cable. I remain gob smacked as I thought it would never work properly.

Van went into dealer for many warranty items including Avtex aerial. Pleased to say we now have faultless TV reception (over a 10 day period) with the Avtex aerial much to my surprise. Required its amplifier being re-earthed with heavier guage cable. I remain gob smacked as I thought it would never work properly.

Hi Crissy,

Is it now working in a location where it has failed previously or is it the first time you have tested it there?

Also which version of the antenna do you have?

One has an integral booster and one has a separate Svenson booster. I am just wondering if it was the earth to the integral booster or external

Svenson one which was changed.

I do find it hard to believe that changing the earth would fix everyone's issues but maybe you had a specific fault with the wiring. Either way it sounds like good news for you :-).

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Mark Exact location including the same pitch. When we went before we got reception on about 30% of attempts and gaps of a couple of days with no reception. This time 100% and able to view far more channels with a good signal. Like you I am surprised but it was perfect. Avtex had previously informed me that the usual problem is in the poor installation by Elddis. They had wanted to do all the installations themselves but Elddis would not agree to this. I think we have the older version with what looks like wire wrapped round in a spiral. I expected when we took it in to the dealers that it would be replaced by the newer version but dealer said not necessary and I can't argue as it is working fine now

Ok, thanks for the info that is interesting to know. Keep us posted on how it performs at other sites.

Mark.

Curious that there is no data, spec, or pictures of this antenna available on the Avtex web site?

• Like 1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Curious that there is no data, spec, or pictures of this antenna available on the Avtex web site?

The only reference to it is in an Avtex catalogue published in New Zealand (which incidently is where Elddis stated it had been tested).

http://www. apollotv. co. nz/pdfs/Catalogue. pdf

See page 17, ANT108 is the first version of the antenna fitted to all 2013 and some 2014 models.

Mark.

Edit: there is also an ANT105 listed directly on their website

http://www. apollotv. co. nz/ANT105. html

I assume this is an older version of same design antenna. I am not sure whether the 105 or 108 was fitted by Elddis though.

Edited by Markt1891

Clever idea, testing it in a country that hasn't yet gone digital, then saying it works fine!

• Like 1

Clever idea, testing it in a country that hasn't yet gone digital, then saying it works fine!

The digital TV rollout in NZ was completed in 2013, but wouldn't have been deployed 100% when the antenna was tested.

http://goingdigital. co. nz

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that Coachman are reading this thread about the Avtex aerial and its possible shortcomings. As someone who has a Coachman 'van on order, I'd like to see this problem solved before I take delivery of my Wandahome special edition in March!

John. :unsure:

• Like 1

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

I'd like to see this problem solved before I take delivery of my Wandahome special edition in March!

Don't hold your breath!

• Like 1

I hope that Coachman are reading this thread about the Avtex aerial and its possible shortcomings. As someone who has a Coachman 'van on order, I'd like to see this problem solved before I take delivery of my Wandahome special edition in March!

Hi John,

Have you seen the other threads (in the Coachman section I think). There is one member in the same position as you and Coachman have agreed to fit a status directional instead of the Avtex whip at the factory prior to delivery. You might want to speak to your dealer :-).

Mark.

Edited by Markt1891
  • Like 1

I'm in exactly the same position, a dealer special Coachman on order for delivery at the end of March and I'm now of the opinion, given what I've read, that the Avtex aerial is going to be complete rubbish.

• Like 1

Hi John,

Have you seen the other threads (in the Coachman section I think). There is one member in the same position as you and Coachman have agreed to fit a status directional instead of the Avtex whip at the factory prior to delivery. You might want to speak to your dealer :-).

Mark.

Can you point me in the direction of the post that says Coachman will fit a status at the factory. Thanks

Can you point me in the direction of the post that says Coachman will fit a status at the factory. Thanks

Post #25 in this thread. Not entirely sure now if it is Coachman or the dealer that is doing it.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/101536-2015-vans-and-avrex-twig-anntena/page-2

Mark.

Post #25 in this thread. Not entirely sure now if it is Coachman or the dealer that is doing it.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/101536-2015-vans-and-avrex-twig-anntena/page-2

Mark.

Yes I think it is the dealer who will fit the status 550.

The dealer might give a substantial discount on cos,t plus fitting, if asked nicely, it is the only way to go for Coachman owners.

The Avtex aerial isn't going to work to most people's satisfaction and life is too short to spend time trying to sort out that which can't be sorted out.

• Like 2

I've emailed my dealer now about the Avtex and the possibility of them fitting an alternative status directional before I collect. What annoys me is that the original product being fitted by Coachman just doesn't seem to be fit for purpose. I shouldn't have to be doing this on a £18k purchase.

• Like 1

I've emailed my dealer now about the Avtex and the possibility of them fitting an alternative status directional before I collect. What annoys me is that the original product being fitted by Coachman just doesn't seem to be fit for purpose. I shouldn't have to be doing this on a £18k purchase.

100% correct, you shouldn't. The only positive thing for you (and other Coachman owners) is that it seems Coachman are willing to accept that some owners would prefer a status directional and are willing to allow one to be fitted. Elddis owners (like myself) don't currently have this option. .. Elddis will not approve one to be fitted. We are stuck with the Avtex until such time that Elddis accept that it is not fit for purpose and allow their customers to retrofit a status directional.

Mark.

Has anyone got that in writing from Coachman?

• 2 months later...

I had my first weekend in my new Elddis Crusader Supercyclone and must also admit the failings of the tv reception.

Managed to tune into BBC1 and BBC2 and a few other remote channels but the picture kept pixelating s0 turned it off in disgust.

All my previous vans have been of Swift group with directional arials and although the reception on my seasonal pitch is not great, the dire4ctional arials were great.

If I put a pole up with a standard tv arial, where can I plug in the signal feed coax plug to relay good signals inside the van - or do I need to feed the coax through a window and connect direct ?

It is really disappointing that so many caravanners will be put off buying Elddis and Coachman just because of the ***** tv arial. Has I been aware of these issues I would have boight Swift again.

There is mention of Newport Caravans, which is where I bought my new Elddis from just before Christmas - Do you think they will try to help me or not.

They are already arranging to replace the shower because the shower tray has a long crack in it. And this was supplied direct from Elddis.

NOT GOOD !!!!

I had my first weekend in my new Elddis Crusader Supercyclone and must also admit the failings of the tv reception.

Managed to tune into BBC1 and BBC2 and a few other remote channels but the picture kept pixelating s0 turned it off in disgust.

All my previous vans have been of Swift group with directional arials and although the reception on my seasonal pitch is not great, the dire4ctional arials were great.

If I put a pole up with a standard tv arial, where can I plug in the signal feed coax plug to relay good signals inside the van - or do I need to feed the coax through a window and connect direct ?

It is really disappointing that so many caravanners will be put off buying Elddis and Coachman just because of the ****** tv arial. Has I been aware of these issues I would have boight Swift again.

There is mention of Newport Caravans, which is where I bought my new Elddis from just before Christmas - Do you think they will try to help me or not.

They are already arranging to replace the shower because the shower tray has a long crack in it. And this was supplied direct from Elddis.

NOT GOOD !!!!

First of all I would check all of the connections in the cabling and ensure you have a high quality fly lead to the TV. Whilst I suspect it is just down to the antenna it is worth checking things just in case.

You should have an aerial socket in your battery box. However quite often these are connected as an output not input. It seems a bit odd but I assume that Elddis think people are more likely to put a TV in their awning than they are connect an external antenna. If you trace the cables you should be able to swap it into the input socket on the splitter/booster depending on your setup. You will be disconnecting the output cable from the antenna and replacing it with the cable from the outside socket.

You can then connect an external antenna into the external socket rather than run it through an open window.

Mark.

Edited by Markt1891