Avtex Aerial

chrisy

Have got a new vehicle (Elddis) with Avtex aerial. Amazingly wherever we go we get superb reception. Watching TV today the picture went and the TV (L186DRS) suggested a re-tune. This didn't work and we still have no TV picture. I imagine the Aerial/Amplifier must have developed a fault. I have replaced the 5amp fuse but it still does not work. Has anyone had a similar problem or any suggestions please?

This aerial is the pits as receipt ion is so unpredictable I'm gonna go back to status directional never had a problem with it.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

Have got a new vehicle (Elddis) with Avtex aerial. Amazingly wherever we go we get superb reception. Watching TV today the picture went and the TV (L186DRS) suggested a re-tune. This didn't work and we still have no TV picture. I imagine the Aerial/Amplifier must have developed a fault. I have replaced the 5amp fuse but it still does not work. Has anyone had a similar problem or any suggestions please?

We're happy with TV reception in our Elddis too, but thre seem to be a lot of people who aren't. ... all very strange. Is the van still under warranty? I'd go back to the dealer if is, they can fix it FOC

I have made many posts regarding the performance of the Avtex aerial, ours was replaced last September and worked for several months. Recently it became hit and miss and last week in Pembrokeshire would not work at all.

I shall be making a new Warranty claim, last time it took several months for the Dealer to replace. We have given up on the Original Dealer and will use Newport Caravans who Elddis recommended to replace the back end of our Affinity 540.

Replacement may not clear up your problems with this inferior aerial. it is useless and not fit for purpose. I understand it is covered by a 3 year Warranty so we will keep claiming. I have considered fitting a Status but am not sure if the warranty would be affected.

As I have commented in the other thread there is now a new version of the antenna, some 2014 models may have it and some won't. If your antenna looks like it has wire wrapped around it, that is the old one. If it is smooth and you have a separate booster then that is the new one.

I am not sure if the new one is really any better but mine is being swapped to one on the 5th September.

Another Elddis owner has told me that he asked to have a status fitted and was told it would invalidate the ten year damp warranty. No idea if that is true, however if the new version of the antenna performs as badly as the current one then that is what I will be pushing for.

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

We have a 2014 Affinity 550 and its seems the 'old' type of whippy aerial as it has a spiral type finish, and it is USELESS.

We are on the Edinburgh CC site and no luck at all even thro the site bollard.

Out TV is a Cello approx 18 months old and worked perfectly well thro site satellite 2 weeks ago on CL in Segdefield, but now it skips quickly thro the return even after a factory reset.

The warden was most helpful and tried his own tv thro our vans booster & direct to the hook up with only limited success ie 5 channels.

Going to buy a new tv today to see if that helps.

Just a thought : we have the avtex aerial in a 2014 Coachman which also has a booster fitted. There is an aerial socket in the battery box. We always use the bollard if available and at one site we had reception but another none. Putting the lead through the window directly into the TV from the bollard gave us a perfect picture.

After much fiddling about we noticed ( or, actually, took time to read) a sticker next to the booster saying to swap the aerial lead if using an external aerial). There is a brown co ax lead hanging lose in the cupboard so I swapped it by unscrewing the avtex from the "in" socket and putting the brown one on. Resulting in a perfect picture. I've never had to so this before in a van with an aerial socket in the battery box but there we are. Presumably at the first site it was actually the Avtex giving us reception.

Jo

We are on the Edinburgh CC site and no luck at all even thro the site bollard.

If you were on the site bollard then you weren't using the aerial. You either have a wiring issue as per the previous post or the TV is faulty.

Tony

Just returned from Sussex. Day 1 Avtex perfect. Day 2-3 no reception. Day 4 morning only and so on for 10 days. Fortunately had sat dish. Avtex say it's the Elddis installation. Can't understand why perfect reception one day and nothing the next. Do weather conditions affect digital reception?

Do weather conditions affect digital reception?

Yes, weather affects all radio reception but it proves that your reception was right on the edge if it kept dropping out.

Yes, weather affects all radio reception but it proves that your reception was right on the edge if it kept dropping out.

Thanks Tony but I don't think it would explain why I could tune in 129 channels with perfect picture and no dropouts and the next time the set was switched on absolutely no signal zero channels. Then a few hours later back to 129 perfect channels all at the same location. The TV is fine and works perfectly at home. It surely must be the aerial/installation. What I can't fathom is why it works brilliantly and then the next time you switch on absolutely nothing.

Weather conditions as previously discussed. Unlike analogue TV digital is either on or off.

Let's take a hypothetical figure of 50% to get a reception. If your aerial was supplying 51% then you'd get all 129 channels. If the signal dropped to 49%, hardly any reduction, then you'd get no channels. This scenario describes exactly what you experienced.

Certainly your aerial installation sucks, I'm not suggesting otherwise.

Tony

Have used this useless stick from North Lancashire, North Wales, the midlands and now in the south east on Sheppey. Amazing how rain wipes out everything that suppose to come through it and how it can be perfect on HD and rubbish on 'normal' channel both at same time. We have set up record to hardrive when having perfect reception but when played back it is pixilated and breaking up and missus reckons it doesn't like the dark! We are en route to Spain right now but on return I want some answers from dealer and Avtex. Given the good name of Avtex it is amazing that they allow this piece of sh** to share it's good name. Rant over now for tunnel and journey through France :)

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

I can definitely add iPhones to the list of things that the Avtex doesn't like. .. I can get mine to pixelate at will by turning airplane mode on/off. We were recently on two different sites in Cornwall. .. one with 9 channels and the other with over 100. Luckily the one where we managed to tune in over 100 was where we were for 2 weeks. By turning on airplane mode we managed to get a perfect picture about 80% of the time.

Mine will be swapped for the new version on Sept 5th, I will provide an update after it's installed.

Mark.

PS - Enjoy your trip Agzy. .. :)

First trip out in our new Coachman VIP with the Avtec aerial and booster and the Avtec TV set that came with the caravan - the caravan is superb, why Coachman would risk their reputation installing expensive 3rd rate TV equipment from a manafacturer whose 'technical' explanation is "the system works better in some locations than others" - ( No s**t Sherlock) is beyond me. Our solution was to find a caravan accessory shop and buy a Status type aerial on a pole and clamp it to the A frame, not what I expected after parting with nearly £23 k ! We are waiting for a reply from Coachman (via the supplying dealer) whether having a directional Status aerial fitted will effect our warranty - We arent expecting the answer we want, but in the meantime Morrisons DVD selection is quiet reasonably priced.

I would have thought by now standard fit for all manufacturers would be a sat dish rather than Terrestrial aerial. chances of getting a sat reception are far greater in far more sites.

Ours worked perfectly at first, lot's of channels and no break up. Then it started breaking up with anything electrical switched on. Now nothing, just 'no channels found' on the telly screen. Have checked ariel to ensure not loose. Informed dealer and now awaiting next step.

I would have thought by now standard fit for all manufacturers would be a sat dish rather than Terrestrial aerial. chances of getting a sat reception are far greater in far more sites.

Not ones with lots of trees!

Edited by Jslocks

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

First trip out in our new Coachman VIP with the Avtec aerial and booster and the Avtec TV set that came with the caravan - the caravan is superb, why Coachman would risk their reputation installing expensive 3rd rate TV equipment from a manafacturer whose 'technical' explanation is "the system works better in some locations than others" - ( No s**t Sherlock) is beyond me. Our solution was to find a caravan accessory shop and buy a Status type aerial on a pole and clamp it to the A frame, not what I expected after parting with nearly £23 k ! We are waiting for a reply from Coachman (via the supplying dealer) whether having a directional Status aerial fitted will effect our warranty - We arent expecting the answer we want, but in the meantime Morrisons DVD selection is quiet reasonably priced.

If the status 550 is supplying dealer fitted it should not make any difference to your warranty.

It will just make a difference to your bank balance. :):)

Edited by SuperJock

Just returned from Sussex. Day 1 Avtex perfect. Day 2-3 no reception. Day 4 morning only and so on for 10 days. Fortunately had sat dish. Avtex say it's the Elddis installation. Can't understand why perfect reception one day and nothing the next. Do weather conditions affect digital reception?

Bear in mind that the Avtex is an omni-directional aerial (e. g. it receives channels from all directions).

With that in mind, on the South coast it's quite likely that on some days you will get co-channel interference from France under certain weather conditions.

With a directional aerial, of course, you can minimise this by pointing it to the required transmitter.

With an omni-directional you could be recieving strong signals from French digital TV at the same time as Freeview, which, to the TV set, is just a digital mush of noise which it can make no sense of.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

If the status 550 is supplying dealer fitted it should not make any difference to your warranty.

It will just make a difference to your bank balance. :):)

This is the bit we are not clear about. .. at least one Elddis owner I have spoken to on a site has been told that the ingress warranty would be invalidated if he asked his selling dealer to fit a status antenna. I have no idea if this is true or not, but if the new version of the antenna is no better then I may be about to find out :).

Mark.

This is the bit we are not clear about. .. at least one Elddis owner I have spoken to on a site has been told that the ingress warranty would be invalidated if he asked his selling dealer to fit a status antenna. I have no idea if this is true or not, but if the new version of the antenna is no better then I may be about to find out :).

Mark.

If the new aerial is fitted properly and doesn't cause damp then Elddis would have no reason to invalidate the warranty.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Mark.

That is why I said the supply dealer should fit the status.

It is the same as the supplying dealer fitting any extras to the van, sat dome, van mover, re-sealing doors etc.

I had a rear end replaced on one van, then a new toilet door, then a new wet box. The supplying dealer did the lot and warranty wasn't effected.

That is why I said the supply dealer should fit the status.

It is the same as the supplying dealer fitting any extras to the van, sat dome, van mover, re-sealing doors etc.

I had a rear end replaced on one van, then a new toilet door, then a new wet box. The supplying dealer did the lot and warranty wasn't effected.

I don't disagree with you, I am just passing on the info I was told. Whether it's accurate I have no idea. However it was the selling dealer that the owner had asked to fit the antenna and even that case he was told the warranty would be invalidated. As I said, if the new version of the antenna does not work then I will be finding out for sure myself.

Mark.

The fact that a mobile phone interferes with a TV signal indicates two things. Either a weak signal or that the aerial cable inside the van is not the modern type with copper foil as well as braid - often called satellite cable. My last van had tremendous problems with this until I discovered on one site that I could get a better signal with the aerial disconnected. Replaced all the cable with the correct stuff and Robert is your Uncle, as they say.

You can buy the cable in 25m length from Toolstation or Screwfix (former is usually slightly cheaper.) If going down that route I would change any Belling-Lee TV plugs (i. e. the standard type) with F-type connectors as they give a more secure connection.

Edited by Woodentop

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville