Towing Light Major Problem Please Help

rydogg

hi iv had my towbar fitted for about 2 years and has been fine upto about 3 months ago. all lights still worked except the left indicator but for some reason still beeped to say it was working when it wasn't. I thought it was the caravan so I changed bulb etc but still nothing so I hitched on 3 other caravans/trailers and all done the same. so I then checked everything was connected inside onto the van lights which it was. so then took apart the 7 pin socket and looked like new and all attached fine and clean. please help just dont know why it beeps when it doesn't work.

sorry where is the smart 7 relay? and ill plan to get it changed? thanks

do all vehicles have the smart 7 relay? as I dont think I have that box when fitting in the little bleeper thing?

do all vehicles have the smart 7 relay? as I dont think I have that box when fitting in the little bleeper thing?

No they don't. If they have dedicated wiring then you don't need a smart relay. Your problem is likely to be a poor or broken connection in the car. The left turn indicator supply is a yellow wire on pin 1 so look for a yellow wire an check the connections. .

Brian

i have checked all the connections to the rear lights they are connected using them snap on clip things. I reconnected to make sure. and also checked 7 pin socket connections mate. ..

Check the voltage on pin 1 on the socket on the car with the left indicator on. If everything is working correctly, then you should see a voltage going on and off. If, as seems to be the case, you get zero volts, then you can trace the wiring back. Scotchlocks are notorious for giving poor connections so this is the likely cause.

Brian

Check the voltage on pin 1 on the socket on the car with the left indicator on. If everything is working correctly, then you should see a voltage going on and off. If, as seems to be the case, you get zero volts, then you can trace the wiring back. Scotchlocks are notorious for giving poor connections so this is the likely cause.

Brian

As said I would check the pin and trace it back to the relay before spending out on a new relay .

Not all relays are the same and can depend on the vehicles electrics.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

ok thanks, so do I check voltage on the pin socket if so will it work without plug connected in? or will it work wen metal touches it. or you mean on the wiring connected to rear lights? sorry to sound dumb. thanks again

Start by checking the socket without the plug. If your car wiring is correct you should get an on/off voltage on pin 1 with the left indicator flashing.

Brian

It's possibly the beeper unit that's the problem.

I had this on my last car and it would beep but not pass any power to the 7 pin socket.

I was on holiday at the time, so I simply cut the two cables for the left hand indicator away from the beeper and joined them together in a chocolate block type connector.

The indicator then worked perfectly, although (not strictly legal) there was no beep on the LH indicator.

Once I got around to it ( a couple of months later) I swapped the beeper unit to become fully legal again.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

iv just tried that and still didnt work. power getting to 7 pin socket too! I hate electrics! dont know what to do next

only thing im mythed about is the right and left indicator seem to run off the same wire? but is that right? always used to work ok?

power getting to 7 pin socket too

Is the power on Pin1 going on and off in time with the car indicators? Pin1 is the feed to the left indicator - for the purposes of this fault you can, for now, ignore all other pins.

Tony

yes it is mate. but if its getting power why isnt it working :(

Then, based on the fact that it's the same on any van, it must be being pulled down when it has a load. This suggests a poor connection. Follow the wire back from pin 1 and remake the connection where it joins the car's wiring.

As previously noted, scotchlocks are notoriously unreliable.

Tony

You get power at pin 1 but when you plug the van in the indicator does not work but you do get a beep. I can only guess that there is a short in the van wiring, perhaps at the plug, which is fooling the beeper that there is resistance therefore it beeps, but the short is preventing the light working.

Try connecting pins 1 and 3 on the van plug to a 12 volt supply. This should light the indicator and demonstrate if the van wiring to that light is OK.

Have you looked into the back of the van plug? With continual use they can be troublesome, damp, fraying etc. and benefit from a rewire from time to time if there is enough length in the cable.

Edit. Sorry just read your post again and as you have tried other vans the fault must be car side. Same thing though, possible short on wire to pin 1. Look at connection in the back of the socket, they can give trouble nearly as bad as the van plug.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I did reuse the schotchlocks and redo it but do I need new ones? I will try it again one more time. checked everything possible all connections ok on van plug. i even touched the bare wires off the 2 together and still nothing. .. which is why im so baffled

Then, based on the fact that it's the same on any van, it must be being pulled down when it has a load. This suggests a poor connection. Follow the wire back from pin 1 and remake the connection where it joins the car's wiring.

As previously noted, scotchlocks are notoriously unreliable.

Tony

In the past I have used scotchlocks without problem.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

In the past I have used scotchlocks without problem.

Me too. I've also used them and had problems. These days I never use them, preferring proper crimped connections.

• 3 weeks later...

. please help just dont know why it beeps when it doesn't work.

Did you ever get this problem sorted out? Just curious since I've got an indicator fault with my own car/caravan.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com