13 Pin Or Stay With Double 7 Pin?

icepuffin

I have had a couple of problems with the 7 pin electrics on car, currently the centre pin on my white socket has bent making it difficult to connect. The caravan has a 13 pin socket and I have been using a 13 pin to 7 pin adapter.

I am taking it to my local garage to either replace the white socket and the adapter or should I just replace the two 7 pin on the car with a 13 pin socket.

Are there any issues people have had connecting the 13 pin to the car. ( I have sometimes had problems with the 7 pin connectors being very tight and having to wiggle them to free them out.)

Nissan X trail Dci 150 Sport - Bailey Ranger 520 /4

I'd say go with the 13pin over 7 pin replacement, fewer points to potentially cause a bad connection and less hastle with no adapters. Had our car changed to 13pin when we changed vans last year. No issues at all, infact because it's twist fit rather than just push in it feels more secure to me.

Another vote for the 13 pin system here!

John :)

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Another vote for the 13 pin system here!

John :)

:goodpost: +1

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

Definitely go for the 13 pin so much better! ;)

Ford Mondeo Estate Titaniuim TDCi mk4 (16v 140 BHP) (2008)

Towing Elddis Odyssey 544 (2008) Truma mover S towing at 98%

My web site caravanlife. updated 28/5/2017

Another vote for the 13 pin set up . ... so much easier to use.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

We swapped to the 13 pin setup when we changed the caravan. Much happier with it.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Definitely go for a 13 pin.

If you ever need to tow a trailer with a 7 pin plug then get a stubby adaptor to provide road legal lights http://www. screwfix. com/p/maypole-13-pin-vehicle-to-7-pin-trailer-adaptor-12v-x-55-x-92mm/48935

Land Rover is now back towing.

+ another for 13 pin. Make sure it is wired correctly. Mine wasn't.

Edited by Jslocks

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

I converted my caravan to 13 pins as the new car (to us) had a tow bar fitted with 13 pin, I agree it has a better feel twisting the plug home .

And it looks like a more waterproof connection .

Santa Fe cdx+ , fleetwood countryside 450-ek

Looks like it's settled then!

Thanks for the replies.

Nissan X trail Dci 150 Sport - Bailey Ranger 520 /4

JUST a point, I changed to the 13 pin when I changed my tow car and used a "two cables into one new 13 pin plug" on the caravan (its just a normal 13 pin plug but the grommet is made to accommodate 2 cables not one - bought off eBay).

One problem - I fitted a new 13pin plug "keeper" on the A frame to keep it all neat and tidy but unbeknown to me ( should have spotted it) the rainwater got through my rather old and tatty tow hitch cover and had run down the slight gap between the two cables (capillary action) and just sat in the "keep" gently corroding the pins over winter - come 1st outing pre-check - completely b****d plug!!

Solution - new plug and squirt sealer in the grommet - then re-position the "keep" UNDER THE "NEW" waterproof tow hitch cover.

Other than that I agree 13pin much easier and more positive with the "twist" action to lock it.

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

Yet another for 13 pin. Changed ours when I bought my current towcar in 2009 and not a single problem. An end to the wiggling and wobbling of the old 12s and N.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

If you get an adaptor for your 12n and S plugs then get one of these rather than the ones with short cables.

prodzoomimg7243.jpg

If you get an adaptor for your 12n and S plugs then get one of these rather than the ones with short cables.

prodzoomimg7243.jpg

I thought the OP was asking about changing his car tow electrics from twins, as the caravan already is 13 pin, so I think the above is not what is being asked for as this is to convert the tow car 13 pin to caravan twin

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

True, must have been JamesF talking about the twin cables. Anyway, always worth having one of these incase you have to tow something with the old 12n and 12s plugs.

Anyway, always worth having one of these in case you have to tow something with the old 12n and 12s plugs.

Too true, I must admit I have not seen one before only the 13 - 7 pin trailer adaptor.

I would hope that the caravan has a 13 pin PLUG and not socket as stated by the OP! ;-))

The problem with the middle pin (7) on a 12S is that it is the earth return for the fridge and will be carrying 10A or more. Corrosion on the pins will cause resistance which will make the pin warm up at that sort of current.

The simple answer, often done to overcome the problem, is to link pins 3 and 7 on the 12S both on the car socket and on the caravan plug. The current is then split across two pins which should help prevent warming.

Similarly pin 5 is unused in most 12S connections so that could be paralleled with pin 6 (fridge) to split the live current also.

But as my learned friends above have all said, 13 pin is much the better option. However do be aware that 13-pin cabling on the car is usually designed to connect directly into the car management system so converting from 12N and 12S to 13 may not be quite so simple as it seems.

[For the record 12N is Noir or black, and 12S is slate or grey.]

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

[For the record 12N is Noir or black, and 12S is slate or grey.]

When the system for 2 plugs was first introduced, I'm sure it was explained that 12N stood for Normal and 12S for Supplementary.

The 12N being the one normally used for the (then) older caravans and trailers and the 12S being used for supplementary circuits such as battery charging and the fridge, and reversing lights.

It was introduced, as much as anything, due to the requirement for new trailers to be fitted with fog rear lights.

This meant that the officially unallocated pin 2, which was unofficially usually used to provide 12V for the internal caravan systems, was designated as the fog light supply.

This of course lead to a need for additional supplementary connections.

Edited by bspks

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

There is only one thing to beware of with the 13 pin system, and that is the collar. The pins are locked into place by a rotating collar that engages with the socket. If by chance, the collar rotates when not engaged with the socket, the plug simply won't go in until you reset it to the correct position. There is a green cap that you can buy to reset it, or you can do what I do which is to get a pair of snipe-nose pliers and rotate the collar while using the pliers to stop the pins rotating too. I spent an increasingly irate hour in Norfolk a couple of years ago solving that little puzzle.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

True, must have been JamesF talking about the twin cables. Anyway, always worth having one of these incase you have to tow something with the old 12n and 12s plugs.

OOps!!! Sorry totally missed the fact that there were already 13pin electrics on the Caravan, wrapped up in the problems I had converting my Caravan to 13pin !!!

Still it's still a point for anyone else converting their Caravan to 13pin :)

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)