Twin Axle Tyres

SP1

Hi

any advice out there please.

looking to replace all four tyres on my TA. the manufacturer date of the tyres is week 40, 2010, however at a recent service i was told there was side wall cracking of two of the tyres.

the tyre sizes are 185/70R14 88T

now ideally i would like to increase the load capacity. but i cannot find any premium tyres above 88.

can any one help

thanks

How heavy is your caravan? An 88 tyre load rating is good for 560kg. Multiply that by 4 for a twin axle and you get 2240kg. I can't think of many caravans that weight that much. Even if you may wish to have an additional 10% margin that some sources recommend they would still be more than adequate for a 2000kg caravan.

How heavy is your caravan? An 88 tyre load rating is good for 560kg. Multiply that by 4 for a twin axle and you get 2240kg. I can't think of many caravans that weight that much. Even if you may wish to have an additional 10% margin that some sources recommend they would still be more than adequate for a 2000kg caravan.

thanks for replying Lutz. my van is 1900kg so 88 would be Ok with a bit to spare, i just thought that as i was replacing them i would go for a bit more load

Even an 88 load rating gives you an 18% margin. I would have thought that is more than adequate. The tyres on my 1800kg single axle caravan were fitted ex-works with tyres with a 106 load rating, giving only a 5% margin. There aren't any tyres of the size I need with a higher load rating on the market.

Even an 88 load rating gives you an 18% margin. I would have thought that is more than adequate. The tyres on my 1800kg single axle caravan were fitted ex-works with tyres with a 106 load rating, giving only a 5% margin. There aren't any tyres of the size I need with a higher load rating on the market.

thanks Lutz

There is already an additional safety margin as a tyre's maximum load rating is for its rated speed and caravans are legally restricted to speeds well below the lowest available tyre speed rating of N. .

My louisiana is sat on 4 x 185/65/14 91/93N, the old trailermax lasted over 5 years with no cracking so went for the same again.

Not sure if they do a 70 profile, can you use the 65 or does it have to be 70?

I guess the safety margin is up to personal preference, I thought having a slightly stronger tyre might help if one goes flat and all the weight goes on the remaining tyre until you stop?

If I remember they were c.£320 for all 5 including the local tyre man coming out to remove them,take them off to his workshop to fit and balance and bring them back to fit them, a round trip of 15 miles