Tunnel Or Ferry

We are off to Vendee West coast France next summer. I have been on the ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo /Cean on numerous occasions with just the car to travel to Alcadeisa southern Spain. But never used the tunnel.

There is relatively little difference in distance to Kent or Portsmouth from home.

Has anyone done both? and if so what are the pro's and con's, time saving and whether the roads from Calais down are OK . Doing a quick route guide on the RAC website there is around 200 miles difference driving in France

Personally I like going by Ferry few beers nice dinner and a good sleep but my wife is looking at reducing the number of days travelling.

As it would be my first time towing in France on the wrong side of the road I would ideally like to not make it an endurance trial.

When we went to the Vendee we certainly thought that the Portsmouth crossing was better than towing that extra 200 miles as we were in the same position that Portsmouth and Dover were the same distance. We have never used the tunnel with the caravan because I can't bring myself to pay the extra cost for covering the same distance and we don't use Tesco enough to pay by vouchers. The roads from Calais are ok but from Caen we did toll free all the way on main roads.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

We have travelled by both (Ferry for 4 years and 8 years for the tunnel) and would sooner use the tunnel every time, yes it means extra mileage but you get to see more of the country and you are on holiday. .

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

Tunnel is great and route down to Vendee is easy drive from there. Depending on where in Vendee guess it would be around 450 miles and past Caen all toll free if you go via Caen / Rennes / Nantes rather than Rouen / Le Man/ Angers and not a huge difference in timing.

Just get earlyish tunnel and head down past Caen and stop maybe between Caen and Rennes for a stopover, somewhere that has a little bar and does some food to keep it easy (like Camping le Puits in St Martin Besacces, i think its called)

Next morning up and and off having refueled without van on back so nice and easy and an easy 4 ish hour drive or so down onto Vendee coast area

Using St Malo means you will be on site same day as arriving St Malo as easy drive down from there so no real time saving as still travelling day before but less driving I guess (but more money for sure)

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Tunnel is great and route down to Vendee is easy drive from there. Depending on where in Vendee guess it would be around 450 miles and past Caen all toll free if you go via Caen / Rennes / Nantes rather than Rouen / Le Man/ Angers and not a huge difference in timing.

Just get earlyish tunnel and head down past Caen and stop maybe between Caen and Rennes for a stopover, somewhere that has a little bar and does some food to keep it easy (like Camping le Puits in St Martin Besacces, i think its called)

Next morning up and and off having refueled without van on back so nice and easy and an easy 4 ish hour drive or so down onto Vendee coast area

Using St Malo means you will be on site same day as arriving St Malo as easy drive down from there so no real time saving as still travelling day before but less driving I guess (but more money for sure)

We have used the tunnel many times and stopped at Le Puits too. Really recommend both. The tunnel is so easy with a lot less waiting time than the ferries. Own junction off the M20 straight to check in. Once we were on a moving train just 20 minutes after leaving the motorway. Campsite is easy to get to about 10 minutes from the motorway if I remember correctly.

http://www. lepuits. com/en/ this was the place and peter and fran are a lovely couple and peter loves to play his organ whilst serving you a lovely irish whisky or Irish coffee ;)

Would say about 5 minutes if that off A84 and certainly there is a garage near entrance for fuel

Edited by sunshinetours

http://www. lepuits. com/en/ this was the place and peter and fran are a lovely couple and peter loves to play his organ whilst serving you a lovely irish whisky or Irish coffee ;)

Would say about 5 minutes if that off A84 and certainly there is a garage near entrance for fuel

Looks like this is going to be on our list

Thanks

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

For us the ferry worked a treat. SWMBO worked until 4pm on the Friday, we then got the 8pm ferry (arriving 6. 45pm for checkin). Meant we were over in st Malo for 8. 15am and then on site in the vendee by 2. 45pm.

If we had done the tunnel, we would have had to drive through the night from a late night crossing to get to the vendee by the same time.

For us, it was either a 600 mile round trip to/from home using the ferry or 1200+ for the tunnel, and I wanted to enjoy my holiday plus get back from it refreshed, rather than have to worry myself over a 550-600 mile return journey before going back to work the day later.

Cost wise, we worked out that there was about £100 in it all in, comparing between the two.

All down to preferences, as the person next to us currently in France drives through the night every time, but he's only 40mins from the tunnel. ..

Hope that helps

I would say get your wife to share the driving. If she won't then she doesn't get a vote. We normally use the tunnel bought with club card vouchers which makes it much cheaper also if we go further south the savings in mileage is less. But if we were going to the vendee then a longer crossing would very tempting as a trip to Kent also includes a spin around the M25 always a joy. So basically I would choose which ever way you feel most comfortable with.

For us the ferry worked a treat. SWMBO worked until 4pm on the Friday, we then got the 8pm ferry (arriving 6. 45pm for checkin). Meant we were over in st Malo for 8. 15am and then on site in the vendee by 2. 45pm.

If we had done the tunnel, we would have had to drive through the night from a late night crossing to get to the vendee by the same time.

For us, it was either a 600 mile round trip to/from home using the ferry or 1200+ for the tunnel, and I wanted to enjoy my holiday plus get back from it refreshed, rather than have to worry myself over a 550-600 mile return journey before going back to work the day later.

Cost wise, we worked out that there was about £100 in it all in, comparing between the two.

All down to preferences, as the person next to us currently in France drives through the night every time, but he's only 40mins from the tunnel. ..

Hope that helps

Final bit is the main point - could work out pretty cost neutral and certainly a lot less driving miles if you have a long drive in UK to get to Dover area.

Perfect example of how it can work for some as it does for MM clearly :)

I like to go outward via the tunnel and back on the ship - a great fry up in the waiter service restaurant is a great way to round off a holiday!

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.