Swan Neck Tow Bars And Non-Alko Hitches

Caravanarfa

A question out of curiosity and for future reference. ...

Can a swan neck tow bar be used with a trailer without the AL-KO style stabiliser hitch? I've got no need to use a trailer at present but I'm just wondering in case I ever have to hire one or tow something for friends or family.

Thanks in anticipation

Edited by Caravanarfa

Yes you can tow any other trailer but make sure you clean the ball after as trailers can have grease on the hitch.

Dave.

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Yes you can tow any other trailer but make sure you clean the ball after as trailers can have grease on the hitch.

Dave.

Thanksfor the reply.

Would I also need to grease the ball for a non AL-KO hitch?

If you have a stabilizer type hich on your trailer, usually Alko or Winterhoff, these work by clamping the towball with friction pads inside the head of the hitch. These need a clean dry NON GREASED towball. If you are towing a trailer WITHOUT a stabilizer type hitch, the towball needs greasing.

Hope this helps, Mike.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

If you have a stabilizer type hich on your trailer, usually Alko or Winterhoff, these work by clamping the towball with friction pads inside the head of the hitch. These need a clean dry NON GREASED towball. If you are towing a trailer WITHOUT a stabilizer type hitch, the towball needs greasing.

Hope this helps, Mike.

Thanks- suspected as much.

So how practical is it to 'degrease' a greased towball when switching between hitch types.

To degrease:- Wipe the towball with a few sheets of kitchen towel to get the majority fo the grease off, then thoroughly clean it with methelyated spirit on a new piece of kitchen towel. I always give it a final wipe over with spray on brake/cluch cleaner before every trip. I've had the brake/clutch spray for about two years now so it's not that expensive to use.

Regards, Mike.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

To degrease:- Wipe the towball with a few sheets of kitchen towel to get the majority fo the grease off, then thoroughly clean it with methelyated spirit on a new piece of kitchen towel. I always give it a final wipe over with spray on brake/cluch cleaner before every trip. I've had the brake/clutch spray for about two years now so it's not that expensive to use.

Regards, Mike.

White spirit or petrol will clean grease from a tow ball and is much cheaper and, probably, safer than brake cleaner which is in the carbon tetrachloride family.

Brakcleen = Perchloroethylene/Tetrachloroethylene