I Now Know Polish Is Not Wax!

Hi there,

I decided to polish my van at the weekend as the one side had become decidedly weathered.

Unfortunately I did not appreciate that polish that works on motor vehicles does not have the same effect on caravans.

Whilst the waterproofing properties look like they have worked there is now a "dulled-down" look to the van.

Is there a way to get the shine back using some sort of wax product or do I just need to let the van weather again?

Thanks for any help or advice.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Used some black mark remover the other day ( Fenwick's) and I can honestly say the product smelt like it had a hydrochloric acid in it . ..very similar to alloy wheel cleaner. ..but boy does it work. The van looked terrific . ..so that may help to remove the polish.

Must admit I was surprised (Auto Glym Polish) - maybe it just needs a bit more elbow grease.

Thanks

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

The Auto Glym resin polish, gives me tennis elbow it takes so much effort!

I've used Autoglym super resin polish on both car and caravan for years and never experienced this.

I always find it goes on easy, and buffs off even easier. Never experienced the dullness that the OP is on about either.

I would definitely recommend Tourershine.

In the meantime, use Autoglym Caravan Cleaner - which Tourershine recommend.

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

Sadly an extremely common problem. My guess is that the side thats faded is the side thats constantly exposed to the sun?

You will be given loads of advice and told to use loads of different products, but through experience most will only give a 'reasonable' finish if it's now at the stage where it's faded. My advice is use a professional that has experience with caravans. The effected panel needs fully machine polishing with a certain compound to make it look like new again. Trying to do it by hand won't give it a consistent finish and will end up looking smeary and cloudy.

Yes, people recommend using us all the time, but we are not the only company with this kind of experience. A local company (if you have one) with knowledge and experience should charge around £100 to restore the finish. Anything less and it may not be done properly.

Paul

hi

I would definitely recommend paul/ paul from tourershine first class job

Sadly an extremely common problem. My guess is that the side thats faded is the side thats constantly exposed to the sun?

You will be given loads of advice and told to use loads of different products, but through experience most will only give a 'reasonable' finish if it's now at the stage where it's faded. My advice is use a professional that has experience with caravans. The effected panel needs fully machine polishing with a certain compound to make it look like new again. Trying to do it by hand won't give it a consistent finish and will end up looking smeary and cloudy.

Yes, people recommend using us all the time, but we are not the only company with this kind of experience. A local company (if you have one) with knowledge and experience should charge around £100 to restore the finish. Anything less and it may not be done properly.

Paul

I should have thought that you would be "a local company" to him since he is based in west midlands

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

Used some black mark remover the other day ( Fenwick's) and I can honestly say the product smelt like it had a hydrochloric acid in it . ..very similar to alloy wheel cleaner. ..but boy does it work. The van looked terrific . ..so that may help to remove the polish.

Hi, I think you should read the label, you will find that there isn't any harmful chemicals in Fenwick 's products-----and no X's

By the way Fenwicks Black streak remover is a very good Ali wheel cleaner was used on my S class for 8 years and still looked like new when I sold it last year. Cheers OMF