1970 Caravan Id Please

mandville

Could be older ? single glazed glass windows .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

It looks very similar to an old Lunar Clubman that was on the site we're on which was a 60's one but same sort of layout and wndows.

Compass Shadow 1988

If I can I'll post more pics later but I can describe a walk around !

Near side no Windows just door. Enter door and immediately right is the neccesarium with a bi folding door so you can expand the toilet space !

The a diner seat across back window that drops to make double bed.

Near side galley with fridge cooker etc to single seat with the bunk bed.

Off side no front window due to wardrobe and then a seat facing rear window with the drop down table.

Leisure battery is a bit rough and the external plug looks old house round pin .

Great project.

Yes glass windows.

I don't think it IS a Lunar but the same age as very similar decor and layout to the one on site. Nice caravan, keep us updated with your project! My curent caravan was a project, it's in the blogs section.

Compass Shadow 1988

Yep it is an A Line 1100 from about 1973 . ... parents friends had a slightly earlier 1500 Super as did our neighbours.

Would originally have had blue lower panels and possibly a blue roof, the blue roofs didn't last long as they faded/peeled.

A Line later produced models like the Rambler, they then morphed into Deanline before being absorbed into Elddis. The original company also produced statics.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

What a lovely old caravan. It appears to be in pretty good condition. If it is restored for use, will the glass be legal?

Ern

Knowsley and Fairholme are two different makers . ... or rather were!

What a lovely old caravan. It appears to be in pretty good condition. If it is restored for use, will the glass be legal?

As it is original kit then why would it not be?

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Thanks all. I as trying to find links or refernce to compare but assume till I can get to view the plate I won't have any idea.

As it is original kit then why would it not be?

Can you explain more on this ? Wonder if van screen covered by my car . ..

Double glazed windows came in towards the back of 1977. Or rather, acrylic single glazed but most people put in the d/g.

Thanks all. I as trying to find links or refernce to compare but assume till I can get to view the plate I won't have any idea.

Can you explain more on this ? Wonder if van screen covered by my car . ..

Ern was asking if the glass windows in the van were 'legal'. I was simply stating that whatever was original in the van would remain legal regardless of new legislations. Any damage to a caravan window during towing would be covered only by insurance on the caravan.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Ern was asking if the glass windows in the van were 'legal'. I was simply stating that whatever was original in the van would remain legal regardless of new legislations. Any damage to a caravan window during towing would be covered only by insurance on the caravan.

Thinking logically without any knowledge of the law, but applying the same rules as for things like seatbelts, the original glass would be road legal, but I suspect that if you had to replace it would come under current legislation, so you would have to fit safety glass or acrylic.

This is the problem they have had in rebuilding burnt piers, like Hastings, Weston and now Eastbourne. The floors were timber, which was fine, but to comply with current regs the new floors have to be concrete, which is too heavy for the iron supports

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

We have a new member this week who is keen and an expert on A lines. I'll try and find him and point him towards this thread. His username is. ..........Aline :)

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

My Parents had Aline, then a Static, at first glance i thought it was Thompson.

• 2 weeks later...

to close this topic off, i didnt get it. how do i say "not as described"

i think if i had pulled away the van would have stayed there and the a frame would have stayed with the car.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi yes this van is an A-line they always had the big top of an A edging stripe on the front of them, and with a fixed front window with the now rusting screws round the edges and the toilet window being fixed with a small opening at the top says early 70s. but this is i think the only model made by A-LINE that i was not keen on due to the style of the sides of the van i like flat alumin'lum sides and the fact it has no side windows just big ones at the front and rear,

No help on the make, but we have glass in our converted caravan (we sell ice cream from it at events) and we have put some sticky plastic over all of the windows so if a stone does hit them, we are not going to end up with glass everywhere.

"Mavis" 1992 Elddis Force 2 towed by 2011 Vauxhall Meriva 1. 7 CDTi - Just me and my dog

“Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big." Erica Jong