Alu-Tech Roof Paint Stripped

wiz2003

I cannot find this elsewhere - apologies if already covered. .

Whisl cleaning my Valencia V1 last week I decided to stick my head through the roof vents and clean around them. ..

There was a built up of crud where I was unable to reach with my extendable brush.

Using lots of water and a soft cloth I gently massaged the crud - only to find that the crud was coming off with the paint - leaving bare aluminium.

Perhaps I should have been doing this more frequently, but I was surprised to see bare metal.

Anybody else seen this?

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. ..

Bailey Unicorn Valencia v1 with MAX Upgrade + POWR HD mover with roller upgrade + ALDE 3010-246 + Al-Ko ATC Display
Seat Ateca 190PS TDI 4WD

I cannot find this elsewhere - apologies if already covered. .

Whisl cleaning my Valencia V1 last week I decided to stick my head through the roof vents and clean around them. ..

There was a built up of crud where I was unable to reach with my extendable brush.

Using lots of water and a soft cloth I gently massaged the crud - only to find that the crud was coming off with the paint - leaving bare aluminium.

Perhaps I should have been doing this more frequently, but I was surprised to see bare metal.

Anybody else seen this?

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. ..

Mine is the same and is going back to Bailey in november to be rectified. I afraid its another known iassue but most people don't look on the roof.

Is it still under warranty?

It is still under warranty. ..

Bailey Unicorn Valencia v1 with MAX Upgrade + POWR HD mover with roller upgrade + ALDE 3010-246 + Al-Ko ATC Display
Seat Ateca 190PS TDI 4WD

Straight back to dealer. Take LOTS of pics, even if you have to hire a scaffold to get the best shots. ..don't attempt any DIY repairs as this would invalidate your warranty. If the caravan has been purchased under a finance agreement then also notify the finance company. Best of luck

Mine is the same and is going back to Bailey in november to be rectified. I afraid its another known iassue but most people don't look on the roof.

I have a small "h" frame scaffold that I erect either side of van with boards spanning over the roof so I can give it a proper clean and polish at the start of the year and before it goes into indoor storage at the end of the season ( wussy fair weather type !!)

Pictures sent to dealer. ...post-39114-0-76068500-1407840760_thumb.jpgpost-39114-0-36177700-1407840773_thumb.jpg

Seat Ateca 190PS TDI 4WD

Pictures sent to dealer. ... IMG_0269_reduced. jpg IMG_0273 reduced. jpg

Looks as if a cleaner / solvent was used to pre clean the roof before applying the mastic or to clean off the mastic residue, braking down the structure of the paint over time. Unless you've used a wire brush to clean off the gunge. lol :(

Edited by Gaz40

Looks as if a cleaner / solvent was used to pre clean the roof before applying the mastic or to clean off the mastic residue, braking down the structure of the paint over time. Unless you've used a wire brush to clean off the gunge. lol :(

That sounds feasible - well the first bit - I suspect that I would have a lot of work to do to hide the damage to the aluminium caused by the brush. .... :)

Seat Ateca 190PS TDI 4WD

That sounds feasible - well the first bit - I suspect that I would have a lot of work to do to hide the damage to the aluminium caused by the brush. .... :)

You could always keep smut and sweep it under the carpet ! Only joking lol :)

Edited by Gaz40

You have to have a laugh - I agree. .......

Bit miffed, though. ....

Had loadsa questions from the dealer. ...

:D

Can you imagine how the public would react if this kind of thing happened to cars in this day and age?

Edited by wiz2003

Seat Ateca 190PS TDI 4WD

Mine goes into Bailey's on Monday - It has taken over a year for this to be resolved!

You have to have a laugh - I agree. .......

Bit miffed, though. ....

Had loadsa questions from the dealer. ...

:D

Can you imagine how the public would react if this kind of thing happened to cars in this day and age?

What type of questions ??

Mine goes into Bailey's on Monday - It has taken over a year for this to be resolved!

Why as it taken a year ?

I hate to rain on your parade, but the lower part of that image looks very much as though it has been scraped with something hard to remove the 'crud' that has also scraped off the paint. I'm not for a moment saying that is what happened, but you might consider how you would answer if the dealer suggested that.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Why as it taken a year ?

Thats how long our warranty claim took - 5 months for Bailey to agree for a new side wall which had bowed on our Valencia 1 + 7 month waiting list at the dealers - now been told the annual service picked up damp from failed door seal on the other side - 50% in places, so new door + surround and partial floor replacement - Think id better check the crud on the roof :-( and see iff the paints lifting

Landcruiser + Bailey Unicorn Valencia

My dealer accused me of using a scouring pad on my 2year old rimini, refused to do anything under warranty either, wont be going back there ever again as when I traded it in for a new van the dealer straight away contacted Bailey for a warranty claim, goes to show some dealers are a waste of space.

2016 Lunar Quasar 554, tugged by Honda CR-V.

The paint on these vans is very thin. We tried to clean surplus sealant from around the locker doors on our Pegasus and it didn't take much rubbing to hit the aluminium below. We quickly stopped and touched up the damage - no wonder dealers are loathe to remove the surplus! If you're working around the roof hatches you probably can't see the damage being done, so leave well alone and live with dirty sealant, I say.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Yet another dismal Bailey tale.

We have a 2011 model year Olympus - which is perfectly dry (including the front lockers under the trays), has no peeling paint, or any other defects that we've noticed.

Yet it's impossible to ignore the many, many, many accounts of faults that appear to plague so many newer Bailey caravans.

Due to a change in our own requirements we had given very serious consideration to swapping the Olympus for a different Bailey layout - probably something in the Pegasus range - but how on earth can we???

Geting a 'good' new van appears to be a lucky dip - you put your hand in the bag, and hope that the caravan you pull out will be properly sealed, properly painted, properly constructed.

Frankly, I'm loathe to start gambling - I don't want all the hassle that a faulty van entails. So, even though the layout is far from ideal in our current Olympus we'll simply keep it and free ourselves from all that potential grief.

When we bought our latest new car, variable build quality wasn't a consideration - we *knew* that it would be up to a ceratin VW standard - and that, if it wasn't, it would be rectified in double quick time.

We certainly don't feel that confident with a new Bailey - or, for that matter, any other caravan brand.

Of course - now that I've posted this, rain water will start gushing in tomorrow :D

Seriously, though, assuming that Bailey (and the others) *do* care about quality, surely it's time to start cracking the whip on those who actually build the things?

Warnings, closely followed by sackings, is the only way to ensure that the CAD ideal is translated into reality - all design and research is rendered worthless if the lad with the mastic gun can't be a*sed to use it!

The caravan industry needs quality control managers who are more concerned with delivering a properly built product, tthan with remaining on freindly terms with the assembly worlers.

Edited by Eddiewin88
  • Like 1

We have a 2011 model year Olympus - which is perfectly dry (including the front lockers under the trays), has no peeling paint, or any other defects that we've noticed.

Yet it's impossible to ignore the many, many, many accounts of faults that appear to plague so many newer Bailey caravans.

Due to a change in our own requirements we had given very serious consideration to swapping the Olympus for a different Bailey layout - probably something in the Pegasus range - but how on earth can we???

Geting a 'good' new van appears to be a lucky dip - you put your hand in the bag, and hope that the caravan you pull out will be properly sealed, properly painted, properly constructed.

Frankly, I'm loathe to start gambling - I don't want all the hassle that a faulty van entails. So, even though the layout is far from ideal in our current Olympus we'll simply keep it and free ourselves from all that potential grief.

When we bought our latest new car, variable build quality wasn't a consideration - we *knew* that it would be up to a ceratin VW standard - and that, if it wasn't, it would be rectified in double quick time.

We certainly don't feel that confident with a new Bailey - or, for that matter, any other caravan brand.

Of course - now that I've posted this, rain water will start gushing in tomorrow :D

Seriously, though, assuming that Bailey (and the others) *do* care about quality, surely it's time to start cracking the whip on those who actually build the things?

Warnings, closely followed by sackings, is the only way to ensure that the CAD ideal is translated into reality - all design and research is rendered worthless if the lad with the mastic gun can't be a*sed to use it!

The caravan industry needs quality control managers who are more concerned with delivering a properly built product, tthan with remaining on freindly terms with the assembly worlers.

Agree - our experience with new vans not limited to Bailey means we wont be buying a new van any more - £20k Lucky dips is not for us

Landcruiser + Bailey Unicorn Valencia

I hate to rain on your parade, but the lower part of that image looks very much as though it has been scraped with something hard to remove the 'crud' that has also scraped off the paint. I'm not for a moment saying that is what happened, but you might consider how you would answer if the dealer suggested that.

Hi,

I can honestly say that I have never used anything other than a soft cloth (or the extendable caravan washing brush that did not reach this), so IMHO no problem. ...

Geoff

Edited by wiz2003

Seat Ateca 190PS TDI 4WD

This was our first and new van, it will probably be our last new van.

In addition to cars, I cannot imagine any other consumer product where the customer enters a lottery as to the problems they may experience - especially considering the cost of purchase.

Imagine if these standards were present in the bus, lorry, train or aircraft industry?

• Like 1

Seat Ateca 190PS TDI 4WD

Why as it taken a year ?

Sample from another caravan was sent to Holland for investigation!

Bailey not that quick at responding to emails!

Wanted a summer holiday before the caravan went back to Bailey.

Hope that answers your query!

Sample from another caravan was sent to Holland for investigation!

Bailey not that quick at responding to emails!

Wanted a summer holiday before the caravan went back to Bailey.

Hope that answers your query!

Shucks !

12 months to analyse a bit of pre painted aluminium. :(

Was the Dutch company Euramax International ? From what I can understand the alloy skin used in caravan manufacturing is unrolled, pre painted then re rolled to be shipped out to the various manufactures (caravans and such) ^_^

I could be wrong though :rolleyes:

Edited by Gaz40

• 2 weeks later...

Well

More than two weeks have elapsed, I have been asked for more pictures, but my aluminium roof is still bare in places.

Anybody got a tin of primer, some Bailey coloured paint and a paintbrush.

I can tell you this, though, it is not going back to the factory again for 3 months as we have just got it back!

Edited by wiz2003

Seat Ateca 190PS TDI 4WD

Well

More than two weeks have elapsed, I have been asked for more pictures, but my aluminium roof is still bare in places.

Anybody got a tin of primer, some Bailey coloured paint and a paintbrush.

I can tell you this, though, it is not going back to the factory again for 3 months as we have just got it back!

Maybe easer to bite the bullet and get a quote from a decent body shop or an experience, recommended smart repairer . At the end of the day, that's all bailey will do. :mellow:

Edited by Gaz40