Sign in to follow this  
mark_blackpanther

Introduction To Caravans

Hi I've decided to start caravanning, I'm looking at a tow car, a mitsubishi asx 4
I have noticed that the newer model has less bhp but the same torque I have been told that this will not make any difference, can anyone please advise me?
Thanks

This is not answering your question but if you have not yet got the tow car yet it might be worth knowing which 'van you might be interested in. In our case, our preferred 'van lead us to a heavier tow car to get (close to) the recommended max of 85% for the Max Technically Permissible Laden Mass of van (MTPLM):tow car kerb weight ratio.

1) :welcome:

Depending on weight of caravan and also when did you pass your test will be the deciding factors on what car n caravan

I have got the van in mind

See attached pic I past my test in 96 so my licence is fine I believe.

Thanks for the reply

post-69228-0-33861300-1407787494_thumb.jpg

All the above posts are giving sound and with safety in mind advice, sort your caravan out first and then decide on what tow car will fit the bill.

Les

But buy a towcar which has some spare capacity weight-wise, regardless of which first caravan you plump for. You will most probably find that, once you have lived with your first van for a while, you will discover what you really want (which will always be bigger) :rolleyes:

Hi I've decided to start caravanning, I'm looking at a tow car, a mitsubishi asx 4

I have noticed that the newer model has less bhp but the same torque I have been told that this will not make any difference, can anyone please advise me?

Thanks

It really depends on the torque curve and gearing, along with the kerb weight.

The more modern diesels are now often fitted with twin turbo's, so provide a lot more torque low down.

This enables higher gearing which in turn means lower emission's. Some newer models have also lower kerb weights, so the power to weight ratio could be the same, even with slightly less power.

One thing for sure a powerful car with a 4wd system gives a very relaxed towing experience, a underpowered car with poor traction doesn't, that is my personal opinion.

The 85% ratio is only a guide for beginners, so I wouldn't dwell on it too much.

I've got the older ASX, with just shy of 150bhp, and have driven (solo) the newer model with 114bhp - didn't notice much difference but that may be different towing!

My caravan is a little heavier that yours at 1400kg, matching the rated towing capacity of the vehicle, but the ASX manages easily.

Thanks for all your answers, great place to ask all the questions I have!

I've gone for the asx just like the car as well and you don't see many around.

Thanks again