Caravan Radio Wont Work

Vulcan558

We have a 2014 Lunar Quasar 554 which we picked up in May. The radio display was on when we had our first 5 day break after pickup but 3 weeks later on our main break it was dead. I contacted our dealer and Lunar sent us a new radio under warranty within a week.

However this one doesn t work either so theres obviously a problem in the caravan. I have checked the connections which all seem intact and the multiplugs also seem good. The one thing Im not sure of and Im hoping someone here can tell me is, where on a Lunar Quasar is the radio wired into? Ive checked the blade fuses but all seem ok. Its the fact that the radio worked then suddenly nothing Im just wondering if I have missed something basic. Incidentally I do have to get a multimeter to ensure its getting power ok but the odd thing is that if I reset the radio it goes through the cycle for taking in and ejecting a cd so seems to have power but it shows nothing on the panel and doesnt play. The radio is a JVC/Kenwood KDC3057ur

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to avoid a trip to the dealer, however if it comes to that then so be it. Incidentally I've also checked the wiring behind the consumer unit for any loose connections but they all seem fine.

Thank you

This one just wont work at all Rita.

No issues with our radio (touch wood), but if a second one won't work then it suggests an issue with the van wiring rather than the radio. You say the CD loading drive works, but I'm assuming it doesn't actually play the CD or light up the front dial, or play the radio? From another post on here I understand you can find a menu that turns off the front lighting, but the radio and CD player should still play though.

I've had a dodgy connection on one of those lights by the radio and took the fitting apart and rebuilt it and the intermittent connection disappeared, maybe there's a loose connection in the radio harness somewhere. Certainly if the CD loading is working then surely it must be the output to the speakers that's u/s?

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Does it have one of the removable face plates, as in a security measure?

I've had one do the same as I'd not put it back on correctly.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

Yes Andy, if I unplug and reconnect the multiplug the cd drive whirrs and will take in a cd and eject it for a few times then it stops. At no time does the disc play nor does the front panel light up so I cant do anything at all with it.

I have tried a reset which has the same effect but it just doesnt want to work. I did trace through the wiring loom to check the security of the connections but its not easy as the wiring is like a pile of spaghetti. All connections however do seem to be secure. I did take out the spade terminals and clean them. The front panel is located properly too and this is the 2nd radio Ive had .

Does it have one of the removable face plates, as in a security measure?
I've had one do the same as I'd not put it back on correctly.

It does have a removable faceplate Mark but I have been careful to ensure it is located properly.

Niggling away at the back of my noggin is the thought that thec front faceplate might not be secured properly. If it's not lighting but the CD motor is working then that's got to be a possibility, especially as it's worked before.

Ok Andy, I'll give it another try in the morning and let you know how it goes. I've been trying it with the faceplate clipped in but havnt had the trim plate round the radio. Maybe i should locate it fully into its recess this time. The removable face is def secured though.

Tried it again and no luck. The CD player cycles for about 5 minutes if i press the eject button but doesnt play. The panel doesnt light up so it seems its another problem but whats changed I have no idea.

Its not that I use the radio /cd a lot but in a 2 month old caravan it annoys the hell out of me if anything doesnt work.

Incidentally the dealer is 200miles away so not an easy trip to fix what may be a simple fault. To theirs and Lunars credit they did send me a new radio immediately and without question when I reported it as we thought it must be a faulty radio.

For me a 400 mile round trip towing would take 16 gals of juice which would mean about £100 plus food and maybe an overnight stay. Can't be worth it but shows you may want to consider buying more locally next time, just in case.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

As original and replacement seem to have same fault I would guess at the issue not being with the head unit but elsewhere.

But before you explore elsewhere our Lexon, before we changed to MH, had a Radiomobile unit that could be temperamental if the connectors behind the removable face were dirty. Have you tried cleaning them with a cotton bud soaked in meths \ ethanol (vodka without the ice \ lemon \ etc)?

You could also switch the display off (I think) by pressing a button on the face.

You don't happen to have a spare car radio \ cd kicking about you could try plugging in to the caravan to see what happens?

We bought our Lunar from Sussex Caravans who are 219 miles south of us.

It's serviced by Leisure Sales, Sandbach, our nearest Lunar dealer, who are 12 miles away and they've been brilliant.

So I'd try to get a more local Lunar dealer to help if I were you, so will, some won't.

For me a 400 mile round trip towing would take 16 gals of juice which would mean about £100 plus food and maybe an overnight stay. Can't be worth it but shows you may want to consider buying more locally next time, just in case.

Theres only 2 Lunar dealers in Scotland both of which are a long distance from us. We buy Lunar because they do a 7ft 3ins width in the layout we want. We arnt completely stupid after 30 years of buying but need to get something that fits the drive. Thanks anyway.

We bought our Lunar from Sussex Caravans who are 219 miles south of us.

It's serviced by Leisure Sales, Sandbach, our nearest Lunar dealer, who are 12 miles away and they've been brilliant.

So I'd try to get a more local Lunar dealer to help if I were you, so will, some won't.

Thanks for your help Andy. As Ive said to wispman there was a reason for us buying as we did and in fact its not as bad ass it seems as we go to Southport and Blackpool fairly often and the dealer is very accommodating at looking at smaller things on a drop in basis if we say when we will be there. I'll let you know how I fair as we will be down there in 4 weeks time.

A new dealer in Lunar has started in Perth but even they are 100miles from us but I will probably use them next year for service.

Edited by Vulcan558

Could you try it with the aerial booster turned on, might sound daft but I wonder if it's an earth problem

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

As original and replacement seem to have same fault I would guess at the issue not being with the head unit but elsewhere.

But before you explore elsewhere our Lexon, before we changed to MH, had a Radiomobile unit that could be temperamental if the connectors behind the removable face were dirty. Have you tried cleaning them with a cotton bud soaked in meths \ ethanol (vodka without the ice \ lemon \ etc)?

You could also switch the display off (I think) by pressing a button on the face.

You don't happen to have a spare car radio \ cd kicking about you could try plugging in to the caravan to see what happens?

Hi Gellyneck and thanks I'll give it a try.

I can always lick the cotton buds when Im finished lol.

I have a panasonic from 2003 which, if I can find it, can try in it.

Could you try it with the aerial booster turned on, might sound daft but I wonder if it's an earth problem

Do you mean the Status booster Paul?

If you can't get a nearby Lunar dealer to help, then I'd get your supplying dealer to suggest a sensible alternative to sort out what will probably be a minor issue. Caravan dealers have customer thousands of miles away on holiday when they hit warranty issues and they sort them out.

We had a PSU burn out when staying at Burford CC site last year. Sussex Caravans agreed to a local mobile guy looking at it and confirming it was u/s. They then agreed I could source a replacement from a nearby caravan spares shop recommended by the mobile fitter and I fitted it. Sussex paid the bill when I sent the receipt and the call out charge for the mobile guy.

Excellent service when the alternative was a 250 miles round trip with the van in the middle of a holiday.

Do you mean the Status booster Paul?

Yes,

Like with the lights or indicators they sometimes earth through another unit if they don't have a good earth contact

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

If you still have the old radio and the wiring diagram, locate the connections for the positives ( I say positives plural as there will be two, one a permanent live and the other a switched, which for your testing purposes can be joined together) and the negative, put flying leads on them and connect to a car battery to see if it lights up. don't leave it on too long a I believe if you have no speakers attached it could damage your radio.

Sounds to me like one of the two positives isn't there, hence it whirs when power is connected, but won't power up properly.

A few minutes with a multimeter will quickly prove the issue.

2012 Lunar Quasar 546 towed by a 2008 Volvo XC90 D5.

Same radio, same issue here. Worked fine 3 weeks ago, this week dead as a dodo. Not even a flicker from the CD. Fuses all ok and connections look good. Don't have a meter so can't be certain.

Chris

Make sure the multiplug connector has not had one of the pins pushed through at the base. A common fault with these ISO connectors.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi