Swift/sterling 2013 Hot Water/shower Help

Pecksniff

Could anyone with a 2013 Swift or Sterling with the Truma water/heating help me with a query about the hot water? I'm trying to use the shower, but on a site with very low electric power. It can't keep the water continually hot enough to heat it as I shower so it's running cold after a minute, but I can't seem to use both gas and electric to power the hot water on summer setting. Can it be right that I have to switch the whole system onto winter setting to get a hot shower or am I missing something obvious?

Could anyone with a 2013 Swift or Sterling with the Truma water/heating help me with a query about the hot water? I'm trying to use the shower, but on a site with very low electric power. It can't keep the water continually hot enough to heat it as I shower so it's running cold after a minute, but I can't seem to use both gas and electric to power the hot water on summer setting. Can it be right that I have to switch the whole system onto winter setting to get a hot shower or am I missing something obvious?

I have a Sterling but a little older than yours, a 2007. I don't understand the winter/summer settings as I do not have that. If your electric supply is so bad forget trying to heat water, it's a wonder you have not tripped the supply.

Heat the water on gas only. I do not understand this switching over of the whole system.

Maybe someone with a newer caravan might be able to explane.

Presumably the Truma Combi 4 E with 10 litre boiler capacity. It is not an on-demand instantaneous water heater. You need to give it time for its internal 10 litre tank to get up to the set temperature. In summer mode (hot water only mode) the dual fuel setting only allows electric OR gas operation, not both. (With the CP Plus controller you can set both but it will only use the electric immersion heater.) It should work fine if you give it enough time to heat the contents of the tank (10 minutes or so depending on settings and ambient temp.). In winter mode (heating and hot water mode) you can use gas, electric or both.

I previously wrote a longer piece on a similar thread here:

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/92092-truma-combi-operation-query/

2014 Coachman Pastiche 520/4 | 2013 Freelander 2 HSE

Thank you both! Pete, yes, our old system was much more straightforward and you could shower almost indefinitely with the water heater set to both gas and electric - this one is allegedly smarter (and so far is proving very annoying!).

Rich and Jan - it had been on for a good three quarters of an hour, the weather's been warm and I don't shower slowly, but it started to run cold very quickly indeed. However, re-reading your post, I suspect what I may have done wrong is to turn the tap off to save water once I was ready to wield the shampoo - the tank perhaps then refilled with cold water . ... ? Neither of my previous caravans have struggled with this though - and my first van was 15 years old!

Heating on the 60 degree setting allows us to get two hot (38 deg?) showers from the 10 litre internal hot water store using the start/stop showering technique (or we would run out of hot for sure). Perhaps try just gas only to help narrow down the problem.

2014 Coachman Pastiche 520/4 | 2013 Freelander 2 HSE

On the 60 degree setting on electric and controlling shower temp with taps mixing we find no problem, but if you are only running at 40 degrees probably will not cope with the amount of water required.

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

Thanks both - yes, I will give it a try on the winter setting and hope for better things. I just couldn't quite believe that I had to go through the faff of resetting to winter before every shower and back to summer afterwards :-)