Caravan Corner Steady Pads Repair

bobdawkins

My corner steady pads have fibreglass rods to support them through my stands, they all broke so I went into my workshop, (shed) its actually an 20ft aluminium container, to see how to do a repair that isn't going to cost me anything, All I required was a bit of aluminium tube, (or anything similar will do) 4 nuts and bolts like you would have for the towbar sockets, I already had 6 spare ones to use, a drill with the right size drill bit, a vice, spanner, screwdriver, hacksaw or jigsaw to cut to right length,it worked so well that I took some photos to shown how I went through this task and was very satisfied with the end result,

http://s29. photobucket. com/user/bobdawkins/slideshow/Caravan%20Corner%20Steady%20Pad%20Repair

Edited by bobdawkins

2000 W reg Silver Vauxhall Frontera limited 2. 2 DTi Estate, LWB to tow my German T E C TravelKing 440 TE 4 Berth Caravan,

My Milenco pads already have a metal bar and only cost £11

MIL123728__1.jpg

Edited by SP1

These are only £5. 99

http://www. gooutdoors. co. uk/pennine-leisure-jackpad-set-caravanning-safety-feature-p116784

But a good bodge is always satisfying! :D

Edited by Wunny

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

I looked into this jack pad business and found that the

Milenco and circular Kampa pads were really strong,

as well as being part of a stacking packer system.

I used a piece of 6mm allthread with nuts on both ends.

I made aluminium pads with an aluminium bolt for attaching to leg, very secure :)

Then I went to a show and noticed a couple of the plastic big feet had snapped off as some caravans had hit the ramp :blink:

If mine had hit anything then the leg would have come off before the pad did.

Now I have plastic big feet with plastic pins, if they hit anything the pin snaps, I lose a big foot and it will cost me fiver for 4 more :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I broke two "feet pulling away from a sloping pitch without lifting my legs !!!

I had got some fibreglass rod I'd got from B&Q for another job but it was about the right size for the job - ,I cut off and then drilled the old "ends" of the broken bar to the correct diameter for an interference fit on the fibreglass rod - then pushed the rod through and THEN araldite'd the ends on

hey presto :)

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

What are the largest pads on the market?? On my last van they were gray in colour and seemed to be larger than the black ones fitted to present van.

Its good to see the range of different comments, I just fancied making my own, had the materials to do it, only took half an hour to do and the satifaction of seeing a job well done, well I think so anyway, and it didn't cost me anything either

These are only £5. 99

http://www. gooutdoors. co. uk/pennine-leisure-jackpad-set-caravanning-safety-feature-p116784

But a good bodge is always satisfying! :D

good bodge, I thought they where quite professionally done myself :(:angry::lol:

Edited by bobdawkins

2000 W reg Silver Vauxhall Frontera limited 2. 2 DTi Estate, LWB to tow my German T E C TravelKing 440 TE 4 Berth Caravan,

My Milenco pads already have a metal bar and only cost £11

I've got a set of those with the extra interlocking blocks. Bought new in March with the new caravan but managed to lose one coming off the ferry in July. Of course you can't buy just one, so had to buy another set - but at least I've got some spares now!

John M

Edited by millerhouse12

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

Its good to see the range of different comments, I just fancied making my own, had the materials to do it, only took half an hour to do and the satifaction of seeing a job well done, well I think so anyway, and it didn't cost me anything either

good bodge, I thought they where quite professionally done myself :(:angry::lol:

I agree - I get a great deal of satisfaction repairing something rather than throwing it away and buying another. Especially if I can use some odd bits and bobs I'd saved, which my OH had said "why are you keeping that rubbish" :) :)

Jim

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

Ours live in the front locker and get chucked to each corner when I get the winder out! The rods must have broken or never been used (they came with the second hand van).

Maybe that's not such a positive thing?

Which would be why he removed them and replaced with plastic, no?

Tie wraps for me, I have one on each corner steady pad just in case.

one of mine broke at the weekend. i think this is going to be my fix as well, including the three which haven't broken yet . ...

one of mine broke at the weekend. i think this is going to be my fix as well, including the three which haven't broken yet . ...

Same here, lost one pad some time ago, replacement & three remaining pads now all with original plastic bar + large cable tie applied loosely. .......... fingers crossed but so far OK.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Ah!! but aren't you adding unnecessary extra weight will all those added cable ties?

(only joking - off to add some on my van before we go away this weekend :))

put some on mine today. they look like they might be even better than the plastic bars !!!

What are the largest pads on the market?? On my last van they were gray in colour and seemed to be larger than the black ones fitted to present van.

Just seen these advertised and look like my original elephants feet.

Pyramid Attachapad Excel.---£7. 99dd for set of 4. on Amazing website.

I just bent a old wire coathanger thro mine :D:D :D

A man after my own heart, (cheap and easy!!) :D:D :D

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).