Acsi Camping Card

I have subscribed to ACSI camping for the first time and the two books/card arrived today. They have run out of English language versions and I had to go for the Dutch version.

The website is not bad and I have a fair idea how the system works ie its

essentially for low season discount camping, which suits us oldies down to the ground.

However, I should be grateful if anyone who is experienced in using ACSI campsites could give me the benefit of their experience. We are travelling down to just south of La Rochelle first week in September and Ciudad Quesada the last week in September. Many thanks.

Edited by maisiedad

Sometimes I sit and think. Sometimes I sit and listen. Sometimes I sit and watch. Most times I just sit.

We have also used the card out of season. One tip is to make sure the site you are going to takes the card. Many of the sites vary the times of the year they take them. Always worth a look in the book first. :)

Edited by Jslocks

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

We used it last year for the first time and made some really good savings. I tended to use the book in conjunction with the website so I could check the reviews for each site and we weren't disappointed or surprised with any site we had chosen and I think we used seven or eight over the space of six weeks. Slight downside was that it was very cold and wet at the start of our holiday so we used the heating and did get a couple of bills for electricity. After the first time we had found how expensive it was we used the gas for our heating. With normal weather you shouldn't run into this problem as the electricity allowance covers normal usage.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

The electricity thing depends on country I think. We have used our card several times and the electric is just included.

That was France.

It does pay to use the website as well as the book. Obviously the book only gets updated annually so lags behind reality.

This year we are currently in Slovenia and many of the sites we have used are not in the book but have 2014 inspection stickers.

Not much help at the moment as we out of ACSI season but worth noting.

Be aware that some ACSI discount sites, particularly in France, charge a small tourist tax per person, 'Taxe de Sejour'. This is allowed under the ACSI T&C's.

Others unaware of this have been known to cause a fuss!

It does pay to use the website as well as the book. Obviously the book only gets updated annually so lags behind reality.
This year we are currently in Slovenia and many of the sites we have used are not in the book but have 2014 inspection stickers.

That's because the ACSI Discount Scheme is different to the ACSI inspected network which is much larger.

Anyone requiring an English set of ACSI books with card, please look in Classified as I have 2 unused sets for sale. £10 a set including postage.

John

Many thanks folks what a friendly, helpful forum this is. Pity I didn't see your ad John 19 - I paid 14,95€ plus 8,25€ for the (double) Dutch version.

One aspect I wasn't too sure about was the ability to book in advance at ACSI participating sites and still get the discount.

Sometimes I sit and think. Sometimes I sit and listen. Sometimes I sit and watch. Most times I just sit.

Many thanks folks what a friendly, helpful forum this is. Pity I didn't see your ad John 19 - I paid 14,95€ plus 8,25€ for the (double) Dutch version. One aspect I wasn't too sure about was the ability to book in advance at ACSI participating sites and still get the discount.

I wouldn't worry too much about booking in advance as you are going out of season. We never have and I can't remember having a problem.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

You really don't need to book out of season. Caravanning over the water is totally different from the regimented book in advance culture in this country. I have booked the first night if staying near the ferry port before now but even that isn't necessary.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

If you are going on holiday soon then you probably have done the right thing buying now and will almost certainly recoup the cost however be aware that the books and the card expire at the end of this year and if you had bought second hand the price should have reflected that. Dont worry too much about booking the whole idea of low season discounts is to get custom and it is unlikely in the extreme to find a site full. In fact most dont want to be bothered with advance bookings and I have had ACSI refused when I had rung ahead to arrange a late arrival and the owner chose to regard that as booking puitting us outside the ACSI rate.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Many thanks it is comforting that its not necessary to book. On the way to Quesada the intention is to stop at three sites in France and one just north of Madrid for a couple of nights each and it will be great not be tied to bookings and have the flexibility to press on or stop early.

We used ACSI sites everytime bar 2 when we had our year away, Fance Spain, Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Germany, Luxembourg and The Netherlands and never booked in advance.

Many thanks folks what a friendly, helpful forum this is. Pity I didn't see your ad John 19 - I paid 14,95€ plus 8,25€ for the (double) Dutch version.

One aspect I wasn't too sure about was the ability to book in advance at ACSI participating sites and still get the discount.

If you find the scheme to your liking, if you become a subscriber the book(s) was €10. 95 +€2 this year and it is sent out automatically around Christmas time

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Thanks David. I think he scheme will suit us well as we will be doing most of our trips in low season. Is the IPAD app worthwhile?

Edited by maisiedad

We used it last year for the first time and made some really good savings. I tended to use the book in conjunction with the website so I could check the reviews for each site and we weren't disappointed or surprised with any site we had chosen and I think we used seven or eight over the space of six weeks. Slight downside was that it was very cold and wet at the start of our holiday so we used the heating and did get a couple of bills for electricity. After the first time we had found how expensive it was we used the gas for our heating. With normal weather you shouldn't run into this problem as the electricity allowance covers normal usage.

Not all campsites have metered electricity not even in Germany, we always use gas heating as it I much more efficient than rhe electric.

We have used ACSI since the first year it started 11 years ago and cannot fault it I have the app on iPad and find it very useful. We have never got a bad site through the scheme.

Snooks

Edited by snooks

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

Many thanks it is comforting that its not necessary to book. On the way to Quesada the intention is to stop at three sites in France and one just north of Madrid for a couple of nights each and it will be great not be tied to bookings and have the flexibility to press on or stop early.

Hi,

If you can manage south rather than north of Madrid have a look at Aranjuez, ACSI No 2402 It is a good site with a must visit town a short(ish) walk away.

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk

We have been to that site at Aranjuez twice when travelling back towards the ferry home. I agree it is a lovely town with a stunning palace. Its well worth a visit if in the area.

Russ

Thanks David. I think he scheme will suit us well as we will be doing most of our trips in low season. Is the IPAD app worthwhile?

You can actually enquire and possibly on some sites make a reservation via the ACSI web site

Thanks again all for your advice-much appreciated.

John

Hi,

If you can manage south rather than north of Madrid have a look at Aranjuez, ACSI No 2402 It is a good site with a must visit town a short(ish) walk away.

Steve

Just had a look at Aranjuez and it looks just what we are after and it leaves us a better number of miles to travel to Quesada Thanks Steve & Russ

The only issue with ACSI in Spain is sites can be full if you arrive at the many festival times and you may have to pay full rates, thirty six euros a night at Cabopino when we arrived on the Wednesday before Easter, only been on one site which had meters for Electricity. If you are staying long term it is often cheaper to have the sites discounted rate. Cabopino is certainly cheaper this way. ACSI is great value the sites coordinates for sat navs are super takes you to reception of sites.

Went to Aranjuez in may. Nice enough site and the town is good, but beware the mosquitoes. Site is alongside the river which is a bit like a stagnant canal, great for breeding mossies. We got badly bitten during the day, as well as at night.

Take plenty of repellent and use it all day.

Just had a look at Aranjuez and it looks just what we are after and it leaves us a better number of miles to travel to Quesada Thanks Steve & Russ

We love it there we are storing our van in Spain at tne moment, we always do a stopover there booked our favourite hotel last night for our trip down to Costa Del Sol in Sept. Well worth stopping a few nights . Good rail link to Madrid . When using the caravan park be aware that it can be very busy at festival times so try to get there as early as you can to get a pitch or avoid festival times as we try to, Lovely walk through a fine park by the river to the lovely town and the Palace and it ornate grounds and fountains. Edit noticed the post with regard to the mossys never noticed then any worse than any site near water. Have been there many times and the river IS NOT LIKE A STAGNENT CANAL people swim there canoes can be hired etc etc. Edited by mellyboy

We love it there we are storing our van in Spain at tne moment, we always do a stopover there booked our favourite hotel last night for our trip down to Costa Del Sol in Sept. Well worth stopping a few nights . Good rail link to Madrid . When using the caravan park be aware that it can be very busy at festival times so try to get there as early as you can to get a pitch or avoid festival times as we try to, Lovely walk through a fine park by the river to the lovely town and the Palace and it ornate grounds and fountains. Edit noticed the post with regard to the mossys never noticed then any worse than any site near water. Have been there many times and the river IS NOT LIKE A STAGNENT CANAL people swim there canoes can be hired etc etc.

We arrived at Aranjuez on a Saturday afternoon and must admit the place was heaving with lots, of youngsters running around in Flintstones fancy dress costumes and lots of adults sitting in groups making a great deal of noise as only partying Spanish can. We thought we were in for a very long night but not so, very early (by Spanish standards) all was peace and quiet.

We saw children and a couple of adults swimming in the river Sunday morning but did not encounter any mosquitoes but then it was November. I seem to remember that many of the stunning fountains are turned on at weekends only (¿in the winter?).

The two town road trains were stored in the site and campers could get a free ride to town when the train left to start the day each morning.

As I wrote earlier we, fortunately, did not encounter any mosses but with or without them this is still to my mind a "must see" town

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk