230V Hookup Problems

jbdl04793

:angry: Hi, has anyone had problems with the power supply to the Unicorn 2 Cadiz. Everything works apart from the Alde hot water system and the Fridge (when switched to 230V mains). This has happened on several occasions. Taken van back to dealers to be told that nothing is wrong. I am now getting to the stage of loosing confidence in my caravan. Is there an undervoltage switch somewhere that operates when supply voltage is low? If so, any idea what the figure is likely to be?

What makes you think the supply voltage is low/

It can be down to 216 in the UK and 207 in Europe and be legal so caravan equipment should still operate at these extremes.

(in fact those are the minimum voltages at the caravan site metering point, in theory they could go lower!)

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Hi

I do not have a wiring diagram for Cadiz

if the fridge and Alde are on the same MCB check the make :- if S&F Chinese then change it, as there was problems with earlier Bailey models

protec (city elec factors ) do an equivalent replacement

Dave

The current model service book shows the 16a MCB supplying the fridge, boiler and sockets. Check to see if your sockets are working. As Carabiker says, it's likely to be a faulty MCB. I have suffered from faulty F&S ones in the past tripping prematurely.

Don't think there is any undervoltage switch

Brian

Sounds daft but are you switching on the water heater switch after setting the temperature level on the control box I have forgot in the past and this has been the problem. The connection plug on the digi read out sometimes shows no connection plug. Stu.

Honda CRV 2. 2 CTDi with a Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Have a look at the CB connections, look for a loose wire, while your at it check all the connections.

Make sure the mains lead is pulled out.

The fault is certainty inside the PDU or supply to it as each socket in the Unicorn 1 is wired back separately to the CB, something I was taught as an apprentice never to do, although I've never understood why, I suspect its just to keep the dis board uncluttered.

But it makes fault location much easier.

:angry: Hi, has anyone had problems with the power supply to the Unicorn 2 Cadiz. Everything works apart from the Alde hot water system and the Fridge (when switched to 230V mains). This has happened on several occasions. Taken van back to dealers to be told that nothing is wrong. I am now getting to the stage of loosing confidence in my caravan. Is there an undervoltage switch somewhere that operates when supply voltage is low? If so, any idea what the figure is likely to be?

I had same with Cadiz 2, the problem was the plugs working loose under the cooker, try pushing them in and put some tape across to hold them in, it worked ok for me.

It does seem strange but they work with some sites and not with others!!!!! Stubean mentioned setting the temperature level on the control box and then switching on the water heater? In the owners manual it says that for 230v operation all you need do is switch on the water heater switch, mounted on the fwd bunk face opposite the electrical consumer box, and the temp will automatically be limited to 70degC.

There is no temperature control on electric, only on gas.

On electric there is a built in thermostat set to 70C.

Brian

There is no temperature control on electric, only on gas.

On electric there is a built in thermostat set to 70C.

Brian

There is still the 1/2/3 k setting for temp on the control panel both for electric and gas

There is still the 1/2/3 k setting for temp on the control panel both for electric and gas

Sorry, was thinking about the Truma heating not Alde.

Brian

I had same with Cadiz 2, the problem was the plugs working loose under the cooker, try pushing them in and put some tape across to hold them in, it worked ok for me.

That doesn't sound good, it takes a lot of vibration to work a plug head loose, I would be looking at having the wheels balanced or rebalanced

It does seem strange but they work with some sites and not with others!!!!! Stubean mentioned setting the temperature level on the control box and then switching on the water heater? In the owners manual it says that for 230v operation all you need do is switch on the water heater switch, mounted on the fwd bunk face opposite the electrical consumer box, and the temp will automatically be limited to 70degC.

The fridge element and Alde elements are rated I would think at 230 volts, so any voltage drop will result in a drop in power.

It would be worth checking the supply voltage to the caravan. Comparing sites were the problem is present and those where its not.

Don't forget to test for voltage under load, ie heating and fridge switched on.

I would appreciate any feedback on what the fault turns out to be.

Thanks to all for their advice. Hot water problem solved, the owners manual is a load of rubbish in this area, Stubean seems to be right all along, look on youtube on the Alde site and they have the proper explanation as to the hot water system. As far as the fridge goes the MCB has packed up and will not reset, hope this is the problem, certainly looking on internet it is made in China.

Thanks again to all

We had a problem with our fridge not working recently. Problem turned out to be caused by putting a pan away under the oven and hitting the fridge off switch. Caused me a lot of head scratching till Hairyspinner tipped me off!

That onboard fuse mcb board is only for the 12 volt system isn't it? In which case, unless I'm wrong lol, has nowt to do with the fridge.

Audi Q5 3. 0Tdi S Line

We had a problem with our fridge not working recently. Problem turned out to be caused by putting a pan away under the oven and hitting the fridge off switch. Caused me a lot of head scratching till Hairyspinner tipped me off!

I had the same problem recently. Moving around in France, a combination of fridge not making ice - switch to gas - fridge now making ice. Move to another site fridge on battery for the trip. Switch to mains on arrival at new site. After a while ice starts melting - switch to gas. On return to the UK van into dealers to sort out the problem.

I didn't really believe them when they said the switch under the oven was off but what can you do?

Went away for a weekend trip and exactly the same problem occurred. Looked under the oven and OOPS switch was off. Pans have now been moved to a new location and the space is empty.

Cheers,

Tanker.

VW Passat + Bailey Unicorn S4 Valencia.