Cassegrain Dish ?

Rob-T

Questions for Vin Blanc, or anyone else who uses a cassegrain satellite dish.

I had never heard of this till i read Vin Blanc's mention of it in another post, so I did a google search to see what I could find. It seems to be a sort of enclosed dish with the lnb under cover if I've got it right.

Would be interested to hear views and opinions on how it performs compared to the more usual type with lnb on extended arm. Is the elevation settings the same as other dishes or is it one of the type that is pointed centre to the satellite like the multimo.

Thanks

Rob

The "Multimo" is a cassegrain dish!

Mine is an "Arcon" Multi 57cm cassegrain dish and yes, it does point directly at the satellite unlike "off-set" dishes which reflect the signal on to the LNB at an angle.

See attachment below.

Vin Blanc

Dishrelative to satellite colour bit map. bmp

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

Thanks Vin. My google search came up with a Gilbertini cassegrain, which looks a little different from the arcon model but I'm guessing is just the same principle,only with a cover over the front of the dish?

Do you find it lives up to the hype of being comparable to an 80cm dish?

On my recent visit to France I was speaking with someone who had a rectangular shaped flat dish, no lnb visible, think it had some ceramic components to it. It was relatively small and again was supposed to be equivalent to an 80cm dish. I did take note of the makers name but managed to forget it by the next day. He said he had bought it from Maplins but I couldn't see any sign of it when I looked online.

Was this it? http://www. capitalstores. co. uk/snipe-satellite-tv-antenna?gclid=CLC2lPK4i8ACFbHMtAodtWYApw

Performs well I believe but oh! mega expensive - around £600.

I would be frightened of waking up one morning to find it had "gone walkies".

As good as an 80cm? - perhaps.

I have to admit that originally I had doubts about my Arcon dish performing as well as an 80cm (so claimed) so one fine day I erected both the 57cm Arcon and my 80cm off-set transparent dish in the garden. and connected each in turn to my Humax PVR.

I tuned in to the weakest signal I could find and compared the strength and quality readings for both.

I was pleasantly satisfied (if not a little surprised) to find that the Arcon actually showed a 5% stronger "quality" reading than the larger off-set dish although with hindsight, I am now inclined to suspect that the larger dish was not as accurately aimed as it might have been!

At the time I made a note of all the details (channel etc.) but unfortunately managed to lose them when I changed from XP to Windows 8. 1 earlier this year.

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Was this it? http://www. capitalstores. co. uk/snipe-satellite-tv-antenna?gclid=CLC2lPK4i8ACFbHMtAodtWYApw

Performs well I believe but oh! mega expensive - around £600.

I would be frightened of waking up one morning to find it had "gone walkies".

Vin Blanc

No, it wasn't that. Same sort of shape as the top part though. He said one of his family had bought it for him,someone who was really into satellite TV and technology but as far as he knew it was only slightly more expensive that an ordinary sat dish.

Thanks for the info. Just as an aside I've ordered an inclinometer thingy from amazon to try and make getting the correct elevation easier as per David Sullivan's website, believe that was your idea? Might be back on here asking more questions!

Rob

Might be back on here asking more questions!

Rob

No problem Rob, anything for a Lanarkshire man.

I was born in a nursing home on the banks of Lanark Loch! (many many many, years ago).

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

No problem Rob, anything for a Lanarkshire man.

I was born in a nursing home on the banks of Lanark Loch! (many many many, years ago).

Vin Blanc

Really? Lanark's my home town, I'm trying to think of what nursing homes there were in that area. The Lady Hozier or the Lockhart come to mind.

Really? Lanark's my home town, I'm trying to think of what nursing homes there were in that area. The Lady Hozier or the Lockhart come to mind.

Fairhaven, and as the doc said to my mum at the time, It'l be fair hell soon hen!

Vin Blanc