Buying First Caravan

ade555

Well we nearly there we had a look at some used vans and hopping we will win the next auction it comes with few nigles to sort out but should be set finger crossed, it abbey gts model from 1996 so not new but should give us few nice holidays and a bit of adventure, also got our secure parking sorted is well.

Please tell me your not buying off eBay. ...

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

why not buy off of ebay, there is plenty of honest sellers on there, if you are buying second hand then you take a chance where ever you buy

phil

There is no reason at all not to buy off eBay, you just have to use the same common sense that applies wherever you buy used goods from. I have bought 1 car and 2 motorbikes from eBay in the past without issue and would do the same again as many people now use it rather than Autotrader or other selling places.

The key is to buy local and go and have a look before you bid. A quick look on eBay found a caravan matching the OPs description which is located close to their location. There is time left before the auction ends, if you haven't already done so arrange to go and have a look. It will give you peace of mind or put you off and it will also let the seller know you are a serious buyer. If the seller is genuine, they will be glad to have you inspect it.

Whats wrong with E-BAY. ............ Do your homework, check feedback and keep local, i bought my Caravan 3 years ago off E-bay and same with me Ford F350 SuperDuty with has been near faultless in 7 years.

My work van too also off Ebay and that is a dream to drive 2005 Iveco daily with Geniune 27,000 miles ex council and that too has been faultless in 3 years.

Do make sure you look at the Caravan first before you bid and take someone who knows a caravan structure well .

Ste

Edited by kobelcokid

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

your a moderator and throwing out comments like this, your wrong ;)

phil

Am I wrong. .. I've reported 3 vans in the last week for not being genuine with sellers supposedly having 100% feedback. ... Ie 2014 Challenger Sport 586 on sale on eBay for £6,500. Same caravan selling at a dealership for over £19,000. ..

I' d of put that comment on even if not a moderator. ...

Unfortunately some don't do their homework. How many have come on here and given us the sob story they bought a lemon. . A fair few. ..

There are dishonest people in all walks, some of whom may even sell used vehicles for a living.

It is not about where you buy, it's how you buy

We bought ours off eBay last year & except for 1 bulb has been brilliant, only paid £750 but did lots of research & wasn't the first one we looked at. The first was in A1 condition but way too cheap & funnier enough as soon as auction finished so did the sellers account; wanted £500 via bank transfer as auction finished. Homework, research & more research.

I buy from eBay regularly and have no issues with doing so. Something like a car or caravan I would not consider buying blind. I think unless you know the type of caravan intimately and the layout I would also want to go and have a good look at whether or not it suits the way we envisaged using it and it is good condition or as the seller describes.

I always pay using PayPal irrespective of the value and offer to pay the fee's if the seller is reluctant to accept it as a method of payment then I feel there is something amiss and I walk away. Whilst it is never good to be ripped of it is part of the risk when buying on eBay and all you can do is protect yourself as much as possible.

! also buy regularly on E Bay and have bought 3 cars and one caravan over the years as well as countless smaller items. I can honestly say that I have never had a problem and never been disappointed. Use the same common sense as you would with any purchase from any source and I do not think that E Bay is any more risky than anywhere else to buy.

David and Barbara

Landrover Discovery with Hobby 495

Am I wrong. .. I've reported 3 vans in the last week for not being genuine with sellers supposedly having 100% feedback. ... Ie 2014 Challenger Sport 586 on sale on eBay for £6,500. Same caravan selling at a dealership for over £19,000. ..

Unfortunately some don't do their homework. How many have come on here and given us the sob story they bought a lemon. . A fair few. ..

but how do you know 100% these sellers are not genuine???????, have you been to look at the caravans??, do you know the sellers???? have you done checks on the caravans???, how do you know if someone might be short of cash and need a quick sale??? before reporting items on ebay you must have your facts correct, also to tell people not to buy off of ebay you must spend a lot of time on there yourself to report 3 items in the last week :lol:

phil

I buy quite a few items off eBay. When you see the same pictures on eBay as you do on a dealers site and the van is listed at a price no where near the dealers it sets alarm bells ringing. as for short of cash you don't sell a van £10 - 15,000 less than its worth. ..

Thanks for your reply, I went to have a look yesterday and the seller was honest what was wrong with it so will keep eye on this one but needs some work doing so, like he said 12v not working bit soggy floor in place and need general tlc.

I would keep well away if it has a soggy floor that isn't tlc its a major job.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

We bought or first 'van on eBay. We went to look at it first, checked it over and we're happy with it.

We've just traded it in with another ebay dealer (they have a sales yard nearby) and found a small leak on one of the rooflights. Called them up today and they're taking our back in tomorrow and are resealing the entire caravan as a precaution (we viewed it on the reason and it was bone dry).

I'd happily use eBay again, you just have to look at the caravan first and do a little homework before committing.

My lad bought a brand new motorbike from a reputable dealer, rode it for a week then came of it because half the bolts were loose (including the steering).

New and from a dealer doesn't always mean better!

Thanks for your reply, I went to have a look yesterday and the seller was honest what was wrong with it so will keep eye on this one but needs some work doing so, like he said 12v not working bit soggy floor in place and need general tlc.

I agree with Long Time Caravaner, leave it well alone. it's sounds like the floor has delaminated, also 12v system not working, all your light's and water system runs off 12v, sounds like you are buying a headache. I bought my caravan off Ebay and was happy with it but I did have a good look around it first and made sure it was all working correctly before I parted with my hard earned cash.

Just keep looking you will find one.

I bought my car on eBay - no problems delighted with it.

My daughter bought her car on eBay - no problems she is also delighted with it.

I went on an eBay course some years ago and at that time they said that if eBay was a country it would be the 14th biggest (population wise) in the world. Obviously there are going to be good and bad sellers but why on earth not buy on eBay?

Alan

Well after viewing so many recently and always finding something wrong we decided to actual get something very cheap as project and oh boy oh boy did find one this will keep me busy for most of the winter to get this sorted, hopping will get plenty advice from you, someone had a bit go at renovating this van but not to my liking so most staff will be coming out to restore it, it tows well is a tad old at 1991, floor feels solid and can't see/feel or smell any damp, had a wee bit of bump and poor repair and needs very good clean and service, new curtains which my mum and wife can sort it and the list goes on and on, some photos late me know what you all think just be polite please lol

First will start actually from cleaning so not sure what is best to use on this?

Anyone know any good breakers yard?

post-68932-0-40835800-1408296511_thumb.jpg

post-68932-0-35793000-1408296520_thumb.jpg

post-68932-0-86406700-1408296520_thumb.jpg

post-68932-0-52309200-1408296521_thumb.jpg

looks like a tidy van there ade555, I am sure you will make it your own, well done and welcome to caravanning. I hope you will keep us updated with your restoration.

Edited by Digger_07

Thanks Digger_07

Nothing will happen for 2 weeks as we going away next weekend and during week I just have no chance so will take me few months but the plan is

1- clean in and out

2- make sure everything is working first

3- service the van mainly gas and electrics are safe

then we take it from there

I went to look at a Caravan with a friend of mine that was on Ebay, listed as 12v not working. When we got there the battery charger was turned off, switched it on and has not missed a beat for over 2 years.

Genuine question: was the £6500 current bid or list price?

• 2 weeks later...

Well is been busy day as planned, caravan has been washed before we went on holiday so today was day for testing everything, Water is working fine apart from someone broken the drain plug so new on on order, made diy main hook up lead so I could connect 240v and 12v this works is well couldn't test the gas as I don't have bottle so looking for one locally, it looks like the fridge only works on 240 as when you switch to 12v the light don't come one at tall so there could be a problem somewhere but is not the end of the world also the fridge has been plug in for few hours and it don't seems cooling very quickly maybe because hasn't been used for long, looks very dry underneath so I'm happy, removed all wheels to check bearing etc. and I have one question to brakes they only applying brake force to wheels once the hitch is all the way pushed in should it be like that or it should start binding on brakes when is like 1/2 way pushed in? most likely only needs adjusting but I ask first, I had seized jockey wheel which is sorted now so saved me few ££, now I know it works we can concentrate on interior, looks like I need few things, new spot lights, timber need attention, few broken windows stays, needs new curtains and most likely reupholstered at later stage.

Roll on Sunday