Battery Problem

I think the answer to this is that I need a new battery but just in case Im missing something. I checked the van this morning after it had been parked up for a couple of months. The battery voltage was 7. 8' lights were dim and toilet flush slow. Nothing had been left on although the alarm and tracker were on. I hooked the towcar up and let the battery charge for 15 minutes. When i unhooked The voltage meter was at 10. 8. I switched two lights on and in the space of 5 mins it dropped to 8. 4

Knackered battery?

Btw I have a Bailey U2 Madrid and a numax 110 battery

Not necessarily. I had this once after some months storage, charged up the battery and a year later everything is still fine.

So charge it up and give it another chance.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

15 minutes on a car charging the battery will do next to nothing to recharge it.

Take the battery home and charge it with a smart charger for at least 36 hours.

Then leave it for a few hours and check the voltage, if it is still good it should be around 12. 8v

Thanks for the replies. I dont have a battery charger and my insurance is void if I dont have the alarm and tracker armed when its in storage so charging at home isnt an option. I'm away for the Bank holiday weekend it will get a good charge on the mains then so I will see how it is after that

Thanks for the replies. I dont have a battery charger and my insurance is void if I dont have the alarm and tracker armed when its in storage so charging at home isnt an option. I'm away for the Bank holiday weekend it will get a good charge on the mains then so I will see how it is after that

I would get a spare battery for the caravan and bring the caravan battery home to charge it, aldi lidl do charges for about £12.

A local garage should charge your battery in the mean time.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Tracker has its own battery which will keep it happy for at least a couple of weeks if not much more assuming said battery is healthy. If the alarm is any good it too will have its own support battery which should keep it happy for a week, so you should be able to take the battery home and bring it back to life. The chargers that Aldi and Lidl do are usually about 3. 8 max output so for a 110Ah battery it would take a couple of days to get it healthy.

However. Do be aware that these chargers, if it is like the one I have, need about 10V on the battery plates before they will charge. When my battery got down to about 6. 6V it decided it was a fully charged 6V battery and wouldn't go any further. You can get it to the start state by connecting it to your car battery with jump cables for about 30-60 minutes the applying the charger. If the engine is running so much the better but it isn't necessary.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

The problem with a battery which is severely discharged is that the plates start to sulphate, rendering the battery useless.

Your van charger will only charge to 80%, you really need a good smart charger with anti sulphation cycle to keep the battery in good condition and they should always be kept FULLY charged.

You would be well advised to invest in a solar panel of a minimum 80w to keep the battery topped up in storage or get a second battery and swap them over every couple of weeks.

I fitted a 40 watt panel to overcome the drain from tracker and alarm in storage, and have no problems with battery going flat.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Land Rover is now back towing.

Can anyone reccommend a charger for me please? I really dont know what I am looking for and wouldnt know a smart charger from a regular one.

The one's they sell in ALDI and LIDLE are brilliant ( and are smart ) trouble is they don't always have them in stock, you can get one off eBay or Halfords but they cost 2 or three times as much!

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

I think the answer to this is that I need a new battery but just in case Im missing something. I checked the van this morning after it had been parked up for a couple of months. The battery voltage was 7. 8' lights were dim and toilet flush slow. Nothing had been left on although the alarm and tracker were on. I hooked the towcar up and let the battery charge for 15 minutes. When i unhooked The voltage meter was at 10. 8. I switched two lights on and in the space of 5 mins it dropped to 8. 4

Knackered battery?

Btw I have a Bailey U2 Madrid and a numax 110 battery

This depends on which tracker you have, the Phantom trackers alarm when the voltage comes down to 10. 5V.

Modern caravan psu's boost the battery to 14. 4V for a short time every 24hrs on EHU.

I use a 10Watt solar panel, connected to the auxiliary terminals of a 100ah battery. This keeps the battery topped up to 12. 8V.

The solar panel fits under the Heki and no charge controller is needed.

Can anyone reccommend a charger for me please? I really dont know what I am looking for and wouldnt know a smart charger from a regular one.

Probably the best is a CTEK MXS 5. 0 but expect to pay about £55.

http://www. ctek. com/gb/en/chargers/MXS%205. 0

Land Rover is now back towing.

Agree entirely with the above, I have this permanently connected to my van, even throughout power cuts, we have lots, it continues as it says, fit and forget, amazing piece of kit.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.