Mitsubishi Shogun, Spare Wheel & Hitching Up

lornad

We've recently brought a Mitsubishi Shogun with a dealer fitted fixed tow bar. We have an Elddis caravan with a Winterhoff hitch. Do anyone know if the spare wheel will get in the way of hitching up and if so how do we get around this?

Thanks

Lorna

We have a shogun with the rear spare wheel and it is rather tight when hitching up. if you lift the winterhoff, which very similar to my alko hitch too high it will hit the spare wheel.

I usually have the hitch just above the height of the towball with the alko handle down. When I start to lower the hitch towards the ball I lift the alko handle so that I don't damage the alko pads in the hitch.

I can manage to reverse towards the van with the handle up, but not fully as it hits the spare wheel.

You get better with practice and its not that much hassle.

PS we have an alko towball and it is on the highest setting on a fixed towbar.

Nice tow car, even though a bit thirsty, but we knew that when we bought it.

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

On my Defender I have the rear door open during hitching as it stops anything getting in the way. .

When van is on and everything's in order I then close the rear door, everything in reverse to unhitch. .

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

On my Defender I have the rear door open during hitching as it stops anything getting in the way. .

When van is on and everything's in order I then close the rear door, everything in reverse to unhitch. .

If we had the back door open on the Shogun it would hit the van. Its only a short distance between the car and the van with a Bailey Unicorn.

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

Thanks.

The Waltons. ....I think if we leave the door open when hitching/unhitching, the dog might leg it, plus you loose use of the reversing camera. What MPG do you get?

I've read on other forums that you can fit spacers to avoid the hitching/spare wheel problem. Is this the case?

Thanks.

The Waltons. ....I think if we leave the door open when hitching/unhitching, the dog might leg it, plus you loose use of the reversing camera. What MPG do you get?

I've read on other forums that you can fit spacers to avoid the hitching/spare wheel problem. Is this the case?

we have a swb, no issue with hitching up. We tow an Adria Isonzo 1800kg and get 21mpg looking at getting an x5. ..

Shogun SWB, Adria Isonzo +Dwt Paradies 280 . ... 78% match. Pitchin next to you sometime. ..!!!!

Thanks.

On my 2012 shogun I had a 15mm spacer that was fitted to it when it came from Mitsubishi. The current 2014 we have did not. I took the spacer out on the first one because I had a Maxxraxx 4 bike carrier bracket in place of the spacer. I still have the bike carrier and caravan extension for it, like new if your interested, we never even got round to using it.

We got 16 mpg and a max of 20 with a tail wind on our 2500 miler to the South of France last month. Our van is a twin axle Unicorn, fully loaded, with a max upgrade to 1800kg. I must admit the Bailey is not the most aerodynamic caravan on the market. PS I have only got 5500 on the clock as well so its still a bit tight. I hope to get better figures as the mileage increases. Since coming home I am getting a better MPG running around at home.

I towed with a Pajero, (Japanese import version of the Shogun), for 3 years. Brilliant towcar, but Pajeros are famed for being VERY thirsty. 25mpg solo and about 16/17mpg when towing. That's why they've got a 100 litre fuel tank! Our caravan had an Alko stabilizer, and I bought one of their removable handles, but hardly used it. A bit of fiddling made it possible to lift the handle with the spare in place.

Hope this helps, Mike.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

On my 2012 shogun I had a 15mm spacer that was fitted to it when it came from Mitsubishi. The current 2014 we have did not. I took the spacer out on the first one because I had a Maxxraxx 4 bike carrier bracket in place of the spacer. I still have the bike carrier and caravan extension for it, like new if your interested, we never even got round to using it.

We got 16 mpg and a max of 20 with a tail wind on our 2500 miler to the South of France last month. Our van is a twin axle Unicorn, fully loaded, with a max upgrade to 1800kg. I must admit the Bailey is not the most aerodynamic caravan on the market. PS I have only got 5500 on the clock as well so its still a bit tight. I hope to get better figures as the mileage increases. Since coming home I am getting a better MPG running around at home.

best we got was on the A75 heading to the med, 22. 8 with cruise on doing 70 that's towing a 1800kg Adria we get a steady 23/24 when not towing. But it does have some bits missing from the exhaust.

Shogun SWB, Adria Isonzo +Dwt Paradies 280 . ... 78% match. Pitchin next to you sometime. ..!!!!