Cordless Drill

Have decided to spend more time touring this year and i'm thinking about getting a cordless drill to help with lowering and lifting the steadies ! well I shall be 50 this year.

Any suggestions where I can get a cheap reliable drill.

thanks

martin

Both Lidl and Aldi have good offers from time to time.

I got an excellent cordless drill from Lidl last year. It was about £30 and has performed very well. A spare battery was about £5 and well worth the investment.

If you get a 12V drill, often they can be charged from a car cigar lighter socket with a simple lead.

Guest john1215
Have decided to spend more time touring this year and i'm thinking about getting a cordless drill to help with lowering and lifting the steadies ! well I shall be 50 this year.

Any suggestions where I can get  a cheap reliable drill.

thanks

martin

6072[/snapback]

Lets here it for the fifties, same as me, my caravan dealer is selling a socket that fits the caravan steadies already welded to a long extension that will fit into a 3 eigths inch chuck!!

john1215

when you buy one of those sockets check that the actual socket is welded centrally to the extension, mine wasnt and its a dam nuiscance - so much so that when I go to the nec Im going to replace it. Hooray for the over 50s!!!

I have a B & D cordless one - it works really well. Think it cost me about £20. 00 from one of the DIY shops (had it a while so cannot remember which one I bought it from) - and the extension I have is one I have had for years and years - did look at the new ones in the caravan shop but decided that the one I had worked well enough

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

I've been using one for years. (Cost about £20 and you can use it at home.)

If you fully charge the battery before you set off it will easily last. After all you are only raising and lowering 4 legs at each site. (Assuming you are not touring for months at a time.)

Unless of course you are planning a little diy whilst on holiday.

Pete.

There are several types on the market, just make sure you get one powerfull enough.

I tried several different ones I had access to (off freinds and family etc) not all of them were man enough for the job.

The only one that we found suitable was an 18v cordless, anything below this struggled.

I was also told to check the chuck size, some of the cheaper models have a smaller chuck. You need something about 10mm.

Regards

Trevor

The old 12volt drill that I use was free,somebody was throwing it out. It has no problem as regards power,in fact the torque has to be turned down or it will jack the van up. It also holds its charge. The extended socket was made from the rubbish wheel brace supplied with the van. I straightened it and turned the end down to fit the drill. :)

Frank

B & Q have one on special at the moment.

£14. 68 18 volt and comes with 2 batteries. Brilliant for the price.

I have the B & Q Proline 12v drill and find it very usefull. Only charge it up about once a month. Not much point in buying two batteries now and then to keep one for later as the rechargeable batteries tend to lose their memory and after about two years may be useless even if only charged once or twice. At £14 you might as well chuck it once the battery goes and get another.

The important thing is to make sure it is REVERSIBLE, so you can raise and lower, although I think most of them are. Most of the major DIY stores do one in the range £15-£20. I used to use a rechargable screwdriver for the steadies, which was always a bit underpowered so I got a rechargeable drill on offer at Homebase for around £16. It also has a torque setting adjuster and works great.

Brian

Any idea of product number etc ???

6229[/snapback]

Hi Mavrik,

its a cordless hammer drill by "Performance power tools" ,and the number is - NLE18VD2B.

Iv'e only had it about a fortnight so can't comment on quality really, but it seems O. K.

Tom Brown