2014 Kampa Rally Air Pro 390 Improvements?

Orion 400 2

Just wanted to ask if anyone has had first hand experience of the awning mentioned. I'm considering the latest 2014 model as some improvements claimed over earlier models, e. g. bands across entry instead of having a step, Pro also suggested as thicker and more durable material. However! Do not want to rely on the gloss put out there about them rather your experiences in the field. Is the Rally Air Pro easy, quick, durable, okay for a weekend not just longer, is it easy to dry later if packed wet, pleasant to sit in and less of a hassle all round? Have the problems of earlier topics such as deflating awnings, leaking tubes and leaking valves been fully resolved with this later Pro model?

Could I have the steadies down, awning up, water on and kettle boiled within the hour or will I put the steadies down and decided I cannot be bothered with the awning again?

Please, if you have experience of such an awning let me know as I really want to get sorted so that erecting an awning is really quick and simple as a lifetime physically working for a living means I'm now left unable to struggle erecting awnings and money too hard won by to pay out easily.

Not knocking any product but just want to be able to honestly and factually appraise using your up to date knowledge. Many thanks in advance.

PS. Look out on classified as I may advertise the Isabella Coal 250 porch awning we purchased late last year and use twice for total of 3 weeks,

I have the original Kampa air. Not had any problems . I would say the awning is quick enough to put up for a weekend . Pegging down takes the most time but that's the same with any awning . I have the 390 and it takes between 15 to 20 mins to put up, that's feeding into the awning rail and pumping it up. Taking it once the pegs are out is about 5 mins .

Thanks for first reply purplemadboy. Hopefully will get your impressions expanded on and confirmed by others so I can decide on the awning. Really fed up with getting to CL and thinking do I really have the energy to put our existing awning up.

Thanks for first reply purplemadboy. Hopefully will get your impressions expanded on and confirmed by others so I can decide on the awning. Really fed up with getting to CL and thinking do I really have the energy to put our existing awning up.

No prob, just my experience with the awning . . As I said between 15 to 20 mins max putting it up . It's a heavy beast (2 person job) to feed it into the awning rail, after that it's a doddle. Pumping up about 10 mins.

I bought one and have used it twice since buying takes about 10-15minutes to put up. run it in the awning rail peg down the rear corners. Plug in your electric pump and 5 minutes later it is up and pegged down. Takes 10-15 minutes start to finish. Draught skirt is perhaps not that robust but it does the job. The material appears to very durable too no leaks during the thunderstorm and packs away just as quick as it goies up. Brilliant piece of kit plenty of room and the pro is I feel worth the extra few quid for the quality a seemingly very robust material.

Edited by Lee21

I forgot to mention we did modify ours slightly on the awning bead to allow us to have the length remaining in the rail to use our Isabella Shadow sunshade. We cut a notch in the bead pulled out 5mm of rubber on each side. Folded over, glued stitched the open ends. Installed a metal eye at the awning side of the notch to enable us to tie-wrap the two together such that the sunshade overlaps slightly.

They are brilliant, i had a rally pro 260, it was a doddle to put up, don't believe what kampa advertise about it only takes minutes to set up, even on grass it takes about 15 minutes from start to finish.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium Auto 2010 - Sterling Eccles Moonstone 2005 - Kampa Ace Air 300 2016

We have the 2014 390 pro and can confirm it has straps under doorways.

First time out we had it up a weekend and it was damp when we returned home so inflated it in back garden to dry no problem.

We've had it up 2 weeks this time and still rock solid.

I recommend the poles to keep it tight to caravan and to hold it up if you dry at home later. I bought the storm straps but starting to think they are a waste of time because the pro is so solid when inflated they don't appear to do anything.

It's very heavy and needs 2 to feed it through awning rail but feels top quality.

Have erected it on a level pitch and sloping site successfully so far.

Only had 1 day of rain so far and it leaked above middle flap and filled blind pocket but according to instructions this is normal and should now be waterproof.

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

We have the 2014 390 pro and can confirm it has straps under doorways.

First time out we had it up a weekend and it was damp when we returned home so inflated it in back garden to dry no problem.

We've had it up 2 weeks this time and still rock solid.

I recommend the poles to keep it tight to caravan and to hold it up if you dry at home later. I bought the storm straps but starting to think they are a waste of time because the pro is so solid when inflated they don't appear to do anything.

It's very heavy and needs 2 to feed it through awning rail but feels top quality.

Have erected it on a level pitch and sloping site successfully so far.

Only had 1 day of rain so far and it leaked above middle flap and filled blind pocket but according to instructions this is normal and should now be waterproof.

+1 on the poles they make a big difference for a relatively small cost £15 if I remember correctly

Hi. Just had my first weekend out with a new 2014 pro 390 and it leaked like a sieve! I am hoping that this is mostly just a case of settling in, but it really was very wet, and from a lot of places. Mostly seemed to be coming from inside the pole sleeves, but I did notice some dripping though where water had collected on top (thanks Bertha!) - which I was surprised at given the claimed hydrostatic head.

But, it is a good awing to put up. First time, it took me about 30 minutes but that included feeding the awning into the rail on my own - as stated above, it is a bit of a beast to do alone! Other than that, pitching couldn't have been easier.

If it stays dry in the future I'll be very pleased with my purchase!

Paul 1975

I saw some other posts about them leaking the first time they get wet and asked why? and whether this was applicable to all new awnings as I had a new unused Isabella Capri too? I was told they need to get wet for the stitching to swell up/shrink to tighten the seams.

Not sure after the first deluge whether the few drips were leaks or gathered condensation, however, I understand using one of the roof liners can alleviate the condensation drips if the latter is the cause. ..I don't have one of the roof liners therefore I cannot confirm that from personal experience

Informative reply everyone. You've cheered me up a bit purplemadboy saying it is heavy to get in the channel, our present one is 36. 5Kg so can only be quiet an improvement in that respect. Kampa website states the latest Pro Air 390 is 22Kg.

Muddywheels, noticed your list of activities so would have thought you could have thrown any awning up no matter what weight! Both you, Lee and Paul mention leaks / drips on first use but I have seen where Kampa state that this is resolved after getting wet and drying out for the first time. Seem strange doesn't it that you've not to worry as your awning only leaks on your first holiday :o No mention of pooling on the tops which is only to the good. However, if I get one I'll inflate it in the garden and sprinkle with fine hosepipe nozzle and let dry and then test. Should resolve the problem before using proper. Have your drips resolved themselves yet? Just to mention as you probably know already, if the ground is damp from recent rain the evaporation from the ground area in a newly erected awning can be significant to the point that the resultant condensation collected in the roof can appear as if the awning is leaking, especially if it is still raining outside.

Good not to hear of any actual air leaks as now the product has been out a year or two it would be silly to consider purchase with such a fundamental flaw, like buying a boat whilst being told "Bye the way it does not float but it launches quicker than those that do!", or "Congratulations on the purchase of your new awning, we'll email you when we've designed some poles for it." :unsure:

Kimmyandginge, are you talking about the Air Rally when saying how quick you put it up or the Rally with the outer poles?

Good to get informative comments, the more the merrier and the more solid my decision can be and those made by others considering the awning.

However, if I get one I'll inflate it in the garden and sprinkle with fine hosepipe nozzle and let dry and then test.

This is what we recommend. The most important area to "weather" is where the awning beading connects to the awning. As you have said, use sprinkle the water onto the awning, don't use anything too powerful.

Ours (2014 rally air pro 390) leaked and sealed after the first 2 downpours and has been watertight since, it has been up a total of 5 months this year, for periods of 4 weeks at a time and I have never had to re-pump to top it up.

It has suffered some uv fading as the weather has been so good but I guess that's normal.

I went for the electric pump after the first couple of times hand pumping but that just depends on your own physical condition!

It has been up in winds gusting 50 according to the met office and remained very solid, i do have the rear poles and storm straps fitted.

Only problem I have had is on an upward sloping site when the rain gathered as there is no way to adjust the air frame as you would with a metal frame, if you pop a couple of battens in like they do in sails it solves the problem, you just need to curve the roof side panels slightly to stop it collecting, cardboard did the trick last time but I was going to chop some old upvc trunking cover to the right size and pad the ends.

Edited by sleepyfolk

This is what we recommend. The most important area to "weather" is where the awning beading connects to the awning. As you have said, use sprinkle the water onto the awning, don't use anything too powerful.

Never seen this statement before! It's not really fair to expect customers to have such a problem on what is otherwise a quality product. Would have solved a lot of problems we had with roof leaks & blind pockets filling with water. It's now been waterproofed by our dealer & I've since erected & sprayed it with water. Just hope it's ok for our next trip otherwise it's going back.

Thanks for clarification KimmyandGinge, also Kampa Max. Sleepyfolk, could you please confirm or not if it was a fairly significant slope that caused the roof puddle you mention. I ask as I measured the height as 237cm to the centre of the channel on the awning rail on the Lunar model we bought. The height of the rail for the Rally Air is from 235cm to 250cm so at 237cm would not perhaps tolerate the awning front being much higher than level with the rear before the problem occurs, unless it was a significant slope? However, cannot remember to date having been on a pitch where it slopes down to the door, been the opposite if memory serves me well.

One more thing, looked at some photos, attached I hope, found on a shop website. They seem to show a skirt running inside the awning along the top back edge against which the tubes rest under the awning rail. Puzzles me if the photos are accurate that the skirt not only completely covers the awning light but on one it also covers the top edge of the caravan door!!!! Do yours fully or partially cover the awning light like this?

post-41522-0-53599500-1407791676_thumb.jpg

post-41522-0-63350800-1407791693_thumb.jpg

post-41522-0-79039500-1407792171_thumb.jpg

I can confirm that yes they do.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Slope was fairly pronounced, not sure if the photo shows it very well but I just happen to have a photo of my Lock n Level which gives a better idea of the lift on the offside of the van.

And yes the skirty bit obscures my awning light, can't say as that's bothered me, I've got one of those UFO looking things that's brighter than the van one anyway.

Sleepyfolk, could you please confirm or not if it was a fairly significant slope

post-55551-0-51588500-1407797181_thumb.jpg

post-55551-0-55505400-1407797213_thumb.jpg

Goodness Sleepyfolk, It looks like you've had your nearside wheels nicked in the photo! I suspect quite a few awnings would look a bit skewed and flat roofed there. Wonder if Kampa Max could state categorically firstly, that if the skirt below the awning rail does cover an awning light then this part of the design presents absolutely no fire risk what so ever. Secondly, that heat generated by said light and rising in that confined space has zero contribution to any awning material degeneration. Ask as even if decide to make little use of the light it is easy to forget and leave switched on overnight. Or perhaps Kampa Max you'd know if there is any excess in the skirt that allows it to curve over the light in the light's shallow gutter?

Phil1041, how do you get out of the door the skirt is over the top of your door?

Think we are going for one anyway as nobody has come out of the woodwork with some of the horror stories associated with some other makes and models. However, probably get the 330 and only after selling our Isabella Magnum 250 Coal that we've only used twice since new this year. Only problem now is finding somewhere with stock nearby as do not fancy internet distance buying and being told to return to seller if warranty issue.

Keep caravanning and cheerful. ...........

Edited by Orion 400 2

Isabella now sold, even remembered had only used the once as had used our old little porch awning on first occasion. Purchased Kampa Rally Air Pro 330 on Sunday from Jacksons. Not yet pumped up in garden for sprinkling and air leak and water leak checks etc. Half the weight of the Isabella so will see how things go. Thank to all who commented.

Interesting how attitudes vary between campers. Our van came with a virtually new Sunncamp inflatable awning which I part-ex'd for a Magnum. I really don't like the look of inflatables.

We have a original 390 air awning we put up for weekends away. We had it modified by Trio Pair (who Kampa recommend) and had the steps took out the doorways and replaced with the later straps. We are very happy with the awning. Although i have stated this previously and others have mentioned it that the Air awning doesnt sit right on sloping or uneven ground, with no way of adjusting to compensate.

I'm still trying to decide whether I should keep our Magnum carbon X as a back up plan or sell it. I'm mindful of how much it cost vs selling it and wishing I hadn't lol

Audi Q5 3. 0Tdi S Line

We have a original 390 air awning we put up for weekends away. We had it modified by Trio Pair (who Kampa recommend) and had the steps took out the doorways and replaced with the later straps. We are very happy with the awning. Although i have stated this previously and others have mentioned it that the Air awning doesnt sit right on sloping or uneven ground, with no way of adjusting to compensate.

Hi Scaramanga,

How does your air awning sit on your Ancona? Do you have the toilet cassette door in the awning or do you pull the awning forward and have the awning covering a window.

We are thinking of a GT65 Ancona and were curious as how the awning would fit with the cassette door.

I tried to PM you this question but it's saying you are not able to receive anymore PM's.

Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto - Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona