Weighty Issues

Steamdrivenandy

As some will know I use a spreadsheet to calculate roughly the weights of my van and car.

The car has a max. tow limit of 1300kg, although it's cousin, the auto Hyundai i30, with the same floorpan and drivetrain has a 1400kg limit.

My current van has had its MTPLM upgraded from 1235kg to 1295kg and I fondly thought that I never got anywhere near that figure.

However I was thinking of swapping the van for a 2013 Quasar 524 which has a standard MTPLM of exactly 1300kg. Doubtless the axle is probably over specced and I might be able to upgrade that one a bit too, but that would take the MTPLM over the car's tow limit.

This led me to interrogate my spreadsheet very closely for things that could be shifted into the car. It was at this point that I thought I'd check the figure I'd been using for our awning. Somewhere lost in the mists of time I'd entered the figure '25kg', but I was staggered to see on checking the Isabella brochure that our size awning weighs around 38kg! Not only that but I suspect the carpet isn't included in that figure and overall it's probably well over 40kg.

So entering that in my spreadsheet has my current van, with a sensible contingency built in, weighing 21kg under its upgraded MTPLM, but the same loading has the potential 524 37kg over its MTPLM and of course 37kg over the car's maximum tow weight.

Obviously a new car is an answer but I've only had my pink slip signed off for an extra £4K to change the van. I could leave the awning behind but currently the pup sleeps out there in her crate and room would be tight without it. I could put the awning in the car, but as one dog travels in a crate on the folded back seat and the pup in a crate in the boot that ain't possible.

Both old and new vans have a standard payload of 149kg.

Current van now equals :

Battery 20kg

ATC 2kg

BBQ point 0. 5kg

Heavy duty steadies 2kg

Shock absorbers 2. 6kg

Alarm 1kg

Mover 27kg

Awning 42kg

Total 97. 1kg

Leaving 51. 9kg of standard payload available for loadable content.

To give you an idea, an empty Aquaroll and Wastemaster (too big for the car) weigh 12kg together, whilst I estimate our clothes weigh 20kg and bedding 10kg. That's 42kg without the myriad of other stuff.

Help!

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

But are your calcs based on a measured MIRO or the plated one?

I have required the MIRO to be measured as a contractual condition; guess what it was way way over the published figure.

You have the same issue as me. Circa 150 kg to play with and by taking off the battery and mover you're left with 100kg to play with.

By the time you add in chairs, table, and maybe a bit of food in the fridge that's your allowance gone.

We've moved the box of bits (such as levellers/chocks etc) to the car as well.

Looks like a car with a higher payload or towing allowance is needed (sorry!)

Dogs in kennels? leave the wife at home?

I'm with Gummy on this!! :D

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

You have the same issue as me. Circa 150 kg to play with and by taking off the battery and mover you're left with 100kg to play with.

By the time you add in chairs, table, and maybe a bit of food in the fridge that's your allowance gone.

We've moved the box of bits (such as levellers/chocks etc) to the car as well.

Looks like a car with a higher payload or towing allowance is needed (sorry!)

The mover around 30kg. to 37kg.

Battery around 26kg.

I took everything out of my Troll ready to go into the Orion when it was ready to collect.

I weighed everything I possibly could and annotated it onto the equipment.

It was not so much the big stuff like awning and poles but the 6kg. of tools I carried.

They did not start out that heavy, they just got added to the roll of electrical tape, another

screwdriver. The heavy china plates, crystal wine glasses and led chandelier, awning carpet

(Isabella) rubber floor mats, big bottles of loo chemical, rotary airer, windbreak, it all mounts up.

heavy china plates, crystal wine glasses and led chandelier, awning carpet

On the plus side, you could park outside a National Trust property and charge people and entrance fee.

I must admit I've guessed the battery at 20kg, but the Powrtouch website says my mover weighs 'about' 27kg.

The tools already go in the car. We use plastic plates and drinking gear, except stoneware mugs. Cutlery and kitchen utensils are weighty. Spare (shorter) EHU cable 3kg, CADAC 4kg, Remoska 3kg, alloy saucepans 2kg, bottles of drink 1. 4kg each, footwear average 1kg a pair, personal towels 1kg each, electric drill 3kg the list goes on and on.

I'm not aware of a public weighbridge in the area, when we lived in North Yorks I could always pop in to the Harrogate Council depot.

As a dealer special the van brochure quoted the MIRO and MTPLM for a standard Quasar BUT was fitted with:

ATC 2kg

BBQ point 0. 5kg

Heavy duty steadies 2kg

Shock absorbers 2. 6kg

Alarm 1kg

Some of those weights are from the Lunar options table and some I've Googled.

What it means though is that 8kg or so of payload had already been used in up-speccing the van and nowhere is that mentioned in the sales blurb. That's one reason I upgraded the MTPLM.

Was that a Lead Crystal Chandelier or an LED chandelier Rod? :D

According to my spreadsheet the car still has 82kg capacity available and I'm therefore thinking that getting the awning in there is the answer.

In order to do that we have to re-set the dogs car accommodation.

Currently senior beardie travels in a big fabric crate on the folded back seat. The crate has held two adult beardies in the past but it was a squash. The puppy currently travels in a metal crate in the boot with various bits of gear on either side around the wheel arches.

I wish we could fit the crate that we have left over from the Transit campervan. It's 4ft 7ins wide by 2ft 4ins high, by 2ft deep, with a central divider so each dog had a 2ft by 2ft 3inchish space. Sadly the space betwwen Cee'd wheel arches is a measly 3ft 6ins.

However if we can get the two dogs onto the folded rear seat or into the boot, then the free space in the car would accommodate awning and loads of other big weighty stuff and we'd be home and dry.

I phoned our local trading standards and they told me what weighbridges were available. Google will also find them

I'm not aware of a public weighbridge in the area, when we lived in North Yorks I could always pop in to the Harrogate Council depot.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

As a dealer special the van brochure quoted the MIRO and MTPLM for a standard Quasar BUT was fitted with:

The point I tried to make is the "brochure quoted MIRO" has been in my experience a totally useless figure to start from. In my cases there was a small print +/- 5% tolerance and most of that +5% was in fact there!

Should your van be anything like similar; with a 1100 kg estimated MIRO, then 5% is 54 kgs, a thumping big amount off your 149kg payload.

I guess that's how they can get away with adding at least 8kg with geegaws and not have to declare it. Of course it's even sillier because the MIRO includes two gas cylinders of a size that's relatively rarely used and a boiler full of water when Truma say you should always empty it before travelling. In our case we only take one gas cylinder but it is heavier than the ones used in the MIRO spec.

I do think you should get your caravan weighed.

I also have a spead sheet but its only a rough guide, using bathroom scales to weigh things like I did can clearly lead to errors.

So you are in danger of going over your limit for the car.

Most people who actually weigh their caravan loaded, usually have a shock as the caravan comes out overloaded.

Anyway some things I have done to reduce weight.

1/ Remove the alko carrier, save around 7kg so I've read.

2/ Carry only one 6kg gaslite, I've actually considered removing it altogether, but carry it in case of a power cut.

3/ Remove the fold up table, we don't use ours but carry a small fold up in the car that weighs around 1kg, forgot to weigh the original table, but we were already within our load allowance before I did.

4/ recently removed the microwave, didn't weigh it because of the above, but its heavy around 4 kg at a guess.

The mover around 30kg. to 37kg.

Battery around 26kg.

I've gone for the overweight views. I have a 178kg allowance. Take the mover at 34kg and battery, I've told SWMBO we have 100kg to play with. Then there is no arguing.

Also to save weight we removed the van table as that was 6kg, and use our own table from previous at 4kg that we would have taken anyway. We've also gone down the route of do we need all this stuff. Amazingly we took 15kg of 'stuff' out of the van that neither of us realised was a waste of weight (knives and forks for 8 etc. ..)

Just for interest, my Banner battery 100a/h weighs 23. 7kg, banners are on the heavy side for their size.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

When I fitted my Powrtouch, I could hardly lift the crossbar which ties both sides! I swopped it for an aluminium

bar, which fitted perfect,and saved 50% of the weight. :)

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

If you look on the Tayna website, they give the battery weight in the spec.

I was very surprised at the weight of my Varta wet cell.

Here's another item to consider, Isabella have just emailed that any awning carpet is NOT included in their quoted awning weights and for my size awning the carpet weighs between 6 and 8kg.

And I can't remember my battery make and model Rod, but I'll take a look later.

Bit more weight info, the battery fitted by Sussex Caravans is a Platinum Leisure 685L which a couple of websites say weighs in at between 16 and 17kg, so that a couple of kg 'saved'.

I'm glad that I've gone through the process of validating the information I've used in my spreadseet, even though it's thrown up a few inaccuracies in my original data.

It would seem that on our last trip, coming back we were 12kg OVER our upgraded MTPLM, partly because I forgot to drain the boiler before departure. Even allowing for that we were still roughly 2kg over the upgrade, which strangely enough coincides with the contingency amount I include in the calculations. Let's just say we were very, very close.

The standard payload for my van is 149kg, but as a dealer special it's had 8kg of bits added. Then there's 17kg for the battery and 27kg for the mover. That leaves 97kg. Then I'd loaded in the awning and its carpet and pegs (50kg). That leaves 47kg. Then there were the empty Aquaroll and Wastemaster (12kg), leaving 35kg. When you think of all the clothes, cutlery, food and other gear you can see where another 90kg came from. The 60kg upgrade went nowhere.

To make matters worse, the same loading of an un-upgraded Quasar 524 would mean it would be running 58kg over its plated weight and 58kg over the car's maximum tow limit, although still 60kg below its GTW.

The answer, of course, is to put more stuff in the car, because although it was pulling a bit more than it should, it was running circa 65kg below its max.

Taking the awning and associated stuff and the two empty water containers out of the current van brings the payload down to 11kg below the standard limit and a massive 71kg below the upgraded limit and 76kg below the car's limit. It would even be 13kg below a 524's limit. So breathe a sigh of relief.

That's fine, but transferring that weight into the car brings its payload to its maximum limit, albeit with a 5kg contingency included plus a full fuel tank, a 70kg noseweight and a 25kg estimate of towbar/towball weight. Added to that getting a gurt great awning and two water containers into a car where the back seat is full of an adult bearded collie in a crate and the boot is full of a puppy bearded collie in her crate, does pose problems.

Currently I'm focussed on this http://www. feedem. co. uk/dog-c1/dog-housing-c48/dog-cages-c49/ferplast-atlas-maxi-car-dog-pet-carrier-p6458 which if the blurb is correct will just fit between the boot wheel arches and fits front to back at floor level. However whether the top will fit with the hatch closed is down to trial and error. Each dog would have 4. 4 sq ft of floor and we know from experience that beardies are fine with 4. 6sq ft, so it should be ok.

If it works, then the whole back seat is free for awning and stuff.

Jobs a good 'un!

Maybe?

I realise this is getting anal, however I've just realised that we don't travel with the gear for the foldup bunk on board. That's a folded mattress and lightweight alloy ladder. Must be included in the original MIRO, so can be taken off our MIRO and added to payload.

I've also realised that although the standard plastic caravan steps will be included in the MIRO, our replacement metal ones probably weigh more and therefore eat up more payload.

The rate I'm going I'll be lucky to have enough payload left to load an egg in the fridge.

I find myself in the same boat as you, running very close to my max weight which is also cars max towing capacity.

I brought a reich cwc from obelink. co. uk. This equals piece of mind. I dont rate them for nose weight as they measure the jockey and there are lots of factors that change that but ideal for van weight of each wheel. I can also check the car too. We have an MPV and this has a huge payload, good job with what we take. Tend to stick awnings in the car and the clothes etc in the van. Will be having a clear out of stuff though to see what I can get rid off that isn't used now we have had a few runs out in it.