Van Loading - Who Just Opens The Door And Throws Stuff In

milkymarsh

Sat in a sunny (I wish) vendee location, and had a new arrival today next to ourselves. All very pleasant, and helped site the van this morning with a few neighbours.

Anyway, in part of the conversation we talked briefly about loading and how much my car would hold as he was thinking about one for his wife. Anyway, I said that all was fine, but tight due to the amount that now needed to come out of the van an into the car to keep the loading within its limits. I was then flabbergasted by the response that 'I just open the door and throw in what I need (heavy stuff over the axle)'. Was also stated 'ive never checked the weight of what i put inside the van'. Just wondering how much of this happens with vans potentially massively overloaded.

Oh yes. I met a grandma and 4 grandkids and watched them literally throw a very heavy awning into their van through the door, so near the back end, on top of a clutter of stuff strewn over the floor. They drove off on holiday with no extended wing mirrors, no number plate and definitely nose high.

Yesterday I followed an outfit down a long and very windy downhill road at 55mph. He was slamming the brakes on hard at every sharp downhill bend, again no wing mirrors and I thought very nose down. My heart was in my mouth waiting for a snake at the very least.

I think the guys on here are perhaps the minority after all.

T00ts

You've only failed when you've stopped trying! xx

Was also stated 'ive never checked the weight of what i put inside the van'. Just wondering how much of this happens with vans potentially massively overloaded.

I think it is the norm, I believe that the majority of vans are routinely overloaded, and I am not alone in this thought.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I have a feeling that for many the 'van is simply a luggage container with facilities. Loading, overall weight, ratio of van to car, nose weight, all the things that most on here lose sleep about simply don't enter their heads. It's more a case of Whoopee we're off on our hols!

It's amazing really that so many escape unscathed.

T00ts

I have a feeling that for many the 'van is simply a luggage container with facilities. Loading, overall weight, ratio of van to car, nose weight, all the things that most on here lose sleep about simply don't enter their heads. It's more a case of Whoopee we're off on our hols!

It's amazing really that so many escape unscathed.

Indeed.

A relative of mine was so happy to give advice about loading our van whe we got one. Basically tbey said they loaded the van with everything they could think of and off they went.

The concept of safe loading was rubbished off, and noseweight was unheard of- "it wont come off, theyre designed for everything".

A few years back we were on a site which also stores lots of vans, so seeing smallish cars next to large vans is not unusual. A twin axle van packed away, and awning etc went into van plus five cycles, large plastic garden table legs removed and five stacking chairs. Family then drove away. I was expecting the tractor to then tow into storage. About hour later car came back and hooked up and off they went. Towcar was a Volkswagen Golf and five occupants.

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

I think it is the norm, I believe that the majority of vans are routinely overloaded, and I am not alone in this thought.

Sad but true I believe for many :(

All we can do is keep telling people, but if they don't listen, then eventually the law will come down on us all like a ton of bricks. Like now, one caravan is involved in a mishap, and suddenly ALL caravans are dangerous.

Bad publicity is easy, but good publicity takes a little more work!

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

It isnt the first time i have had to call a customer to come and empty their van before work can begin. Not the usual bedding and tins of beans etc but awnings,tables, flowerpots, cool boxes filled with ornaments and pushbikes. I remember one that the guy was very annoyed that i had called him up to come in down and empty it. He took all the stuff out and put what he could into his large 4x4 and left the rest outside on the ground and shot off. It rained of course and he had the neck to complain that it was my fault his stuff was all wet. We had a discussion about loading, his answer was and i quote "its my van whats the problem just remember whose paying who" His job? senior insurance consultant for an underwriter.

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

I hope I have now changed my habits but am old enough to remember when " 1. 8 / 2 litre engine - no problem with that caravan " was the norm - maximum weights, nose weights, car/van ratios etc had not been invented, there were no lightweight poles for awnings or other weight savers around and we still toured France and beyond with loads of kit and family.

How did we get away with it ??

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

I always empty my van for a service. Seems only fair. The stuff clutters my study for a few days and then the van is repacked for the year.

One year I got a call from the dealer to say that they had found £200 in five pound notes in a locker and that it was in their safe.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

I hope I have now changed my habits but am old enough to remember when " 1. 8 / 2 litre engine - no problem with that caravan " was the norm - maximum weights, nose weights, car/van ratios etc had not been invented, there were no lightweight poles for awnings or other weight savers around and we still toured France and beyond with loads of kit and family.

How did we get away with it ??

Same here but the roads were very different. Slower, bordering on empty half the time, and folk in general were more danger conscious and generally more concerned for others. It was a time when you didn't lock your front door, left the milk man's money on the doorstep overnight, parcels could be left outside by the postman and there were no street cameras. Happy days! :)

T00ts

I was on a site a few years ago and a family with 5 children had caravan that they had bought for 250 which was 35 yrs old which he said still had the original tyres so he had not had to spend any money. When they left they had to use the stable door to load up or the loaded items would fall out the door as it was about 3ft deep . The jockey wheel did not work so it took 5 large guys to lift the hitch on to the car . They only had a saloon so there would of not been enough seat belts for the kids in the car .

They then had a 300 ml trip home .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I got quite hung up on loading having joined the forum and read the advice on this forum. When we had installed the mover the 85cm Oyster dish and the air con, about the only thing we can carry in the caravan is bedding a few clothes and stock the fridge to stay below the MRO weight. I was told by the dealer the changes to the 2015 unicorns were to move as much weight over the axles as possible so I guess correct loading is an issue the manufacturers are addressing by design ( I think I said this on another thread actually sorry for repeating)