Disgusting

silverfoxapparently

I had the displeasure of towing from newquay to winchester this morning.

I travelled along the A30 and M3 route. Between 0600hrs and 1230hrs.

The amount of caravans being towed at over 60mph was a disgrace to the larger caravan community.

Mostly, I am sad to say, were 4x4's with an equal split between SA and TA.

Around 10 at least.

And on top of that, the caravanners that were tail gating other vehicles, or cutting in front of myself and others leaving little braking distance.

Around at least 5.

In the busy caravan area of the services at okehampton there was fresh urine on the floor. It smelt like it, it hadnt rained. I make my decision.

What about the caravans that looked \/ in their setup? At least 10 again.

I genuinely thought that by following all the advice on here that i was still just an average joe with safety. It now seems i am actually of a high standard. Which is a bit wrong, as i am just "safe".

The most shocking bit of driving?

Driving down the A30 somewhere past Bodmin. Temporary sign says TOWING VEHICLES REDUCE SPEED NOW at the approach to a very long and fairly steep hill with a curve halfway. I reduce to 55mph, holding the outfit steady with engine braking and the very light caress of the brake.

Whoosh past goes a KIA SORRENTO in GREY OR SILVER towing a SILVERY WHITE caravan behind it.

Not only that, I saw the driver, an empty front passenger seat and adult in the rear. I assume tending to a baby???

At the end of this journey i have now decided only to travel at night. My sympathy is now gone for any caravanning collision unless there is good evidence it was non-fault.

If anyone on here identifies with what I have written, then you should feel ashamed. How could you risk other peoples lives with your selfish acts?

AND TO TOP IT OFF- not one motorhome drove as bad. Yes. Really.

The same things go through my mind when I tow a long distance. I think to myself, don't worry, it's a reckless minority, but the minority (if it is) appears to be growing. :unsure:

I'm sure that some like me that adjust their speed via the GPS which appears as about 65 on my speedo for a correct (I've done a check time vs distance calculation) speed, will fall in the just above 60 group.

The limit is 60mph, not the reading on your speedo.

As for the rest, totally agree

(though as I did put in a "tongue in cheek" thread, I've never seen any of that driving over the last three years)

Edited by Ich

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

I'm sure that some like me that adjust their speed via the GPS which appears as about 65 on my speedo for a correct (I've done a check time vs distance calculation) speed, will fall in the just above 60 group.

The limit is 60mph, not the reading on your speedo.

As for the rest, totally agree

(though as I did put in a "tongue in cheek" thread, I've never seen any of that driving over the last three years)

And fair enough.

But there is a world of differance between 5mph and 10mph +.

I was travelling at a steady 60mph on the dual sections, and overtaking HGV's at a typical walking pace. So i knew how fast was way faster.

We saw it quite often when we went to Cornwall 10 + years ago :(

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Could someone please tell me what "caravans that looked V in their set up" are please.

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

Since when was it the responsibility of the vehicle in front to set the braking distance.

Glass houses and all that stuff.

What does that mean?

T00ts

You've only failed when you've stopped trying! xx

And on top of that, the caravanners that were tail gating other vehicles, or cutting in front of myself and others leaving little braking distance.

Since when was it the responsibility of the vehicle in front to set the braking distance.

I read it as though the overtaking caravan had changed lanes too soon to allow sufficient braking distance for the following vehicle. Presumably the following vehicle then had to slow down to restore a safe stopping distance :(

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Mostly, I am sad to say, were 4x4's with an equal split between SA and TA.

Around 10 at least.

Around at least 5.

Driving down the A30 somewhere past Bodmin. Temporary sign says TOWING VEHICLES REDUCE SPEED NOW at the approach to a very long and fairly steep hill with a curve halfway. I reduce to 55mph, holding the outfit steady with engine braking and the very light caress of the brake.

Whoosh past goes a KIA SORRENTO in GREY OR SILVER towing a SILVERY WHITE caravan behind it.

Not only that, I saw the driver, an empty front passenger seat and adult in the rear. I assume tending to a baby???

Unfortunately you now get the idiot who will buy a 4x4 to tow a caravan, any caravan even small one's. I am not saying all 4x4 drivers are idiots, I lust after a nice Range Rover but feel it would be OTT for my needs. You must have seen them, yes caravan nose down or up because they don't know it should be level. Or they don't know how to get it level, they use the weight of the 4x4 to make up for their inadequacies. As I say not all 4x4 drivers are to blame, some need them to tow large caravans and some people just like them.

But I feel that it is the standard of driving these days that has generally deteriorated. I was on my way to my caravan with my wife & granddaughter of 3 years in the car going from one motor way to another around Chester when at the last minute a Maserati cut in on us leaving me about 10 ft off his bumper. I shuck my head and said something to my wife. He must have been watching the sad B because he then with a clear road in front braked. He had used his better faster motor to show he was just a stupid driver and if I would have looked in ether of the larger football club car parks I would have found the car.

No I did not hit him but it has made me think of getting a dash camera. To answer screenman above it was because I had left a reasonable distance between me and the next car that the DH in the Maserati could fit in and I still did not hit him when he braked because I anticipated what he might do.

Pete

silver fox what is your out fit because I quiet often pass out fits like they are standing still on hills at a tom tom 60 that are low bhp

silver fox what is your out fit because I quiet often pass out fits like they are standing still on hills at a tom tom 60 that are low bhp

Irrelevant, as per original post. Steady 60mph, 55mph on steep gradients (peak torque in 3rd for inclines, sufficient engine braking in 3rd or 4th for declines).

But, it is a 3. 2tdi intercooled 4x4 (tip box) with a TA that was 1700kgs at the weighbridge.

Not sure what you mean by this last comment. Is it that you would have hoped for better behavior from someone with a baby or that travelling in the back is also a problem? They surely can't have been going that fast for you to note all this while concentrating on your own driving?

And fair enough.

But there is a world of differance between 5mph and 10mph +.

I was travelling at a steady 60mph on the dual sections, and overtaking HGV's at a typical walking pace. So i knew how fast was way faster.

Apologies again, but I missed where you said whether the 60mph was as indicated by your speedo or GPS. Can you clarify?

Unfortunately you now get the idiot who will buy a 4x4 to tow a caravan, any caravan even small one's. I am not saying all 4x4 drivers are idiots, I lust after a nice Range Rover but feel it would be OTT for my needs. You must have seen them, yes caravan nose down or up because they don't know it should be level. Or they don't know how to get it level, they use the weight of the 4x4 to make up for their inadequacies. As I say not all 4x4 drivers are to blame, some need them to tow large caravans and some people just like them.

Pete, as an idiot who bought a 4x4 to tow their caravan (heavy handed sarcasm intended), admittedly not a Range Rover, I'm interested by your comment!

With our previous tow car the 'van's nose was a little lower than desired. I don't believe this had any impact on motorway stability at all, though it was tiresome on speed bumps etc. and made me worry for the long-term health of the suspension. It was one of the lesser reasons we changed cars.

My main point is that, even if we had felt it necessary to change the previous nose-down attitude for safety reasons (which we didn't), there are very few options available. In fact, the only ones I can think of (other than a new car) were aftermarket suspension (not guaranteed to work) or changing to an ultra light caravan. Changing the noseweight of the 'van had no appreciable effect within the acceptable range of weights for the 'van. It was just a case of relatively soft rear suspension on a low slung car. Neither the hitch, towbar or car were over their nose weight limit.

it looks like we might have been poorly judged by you with our previous car/'van combination but also with our new one too! Lucky we don't get to Merseyside often!

Apologies again, but I missed where you said whether the 60mph was as indicated by your speedo or GPS. Can you clarify?

Pete, as an idiot who bought a 4x4 to tow their caravan (heavy handed sarcasm intended), admittedly not a Range Rover, I'm interested by your comment!

it looks like we might have been poorly judged by you with our previous car/'van combination but also with our new one too! Lucky we don't get to Merseyside often!

Looks to me like the only person judging you is you.

60 mph is the law but that in itself does not imply it is safe or unsafe. Most of us own cars which are perfectly safe when driven at 80mph which is outside the law. Similarly most of us own outfits which are perfectly safe when driven in excess of 60mph (as we are allowed to do in some countries)

Perhaps the OP would be dvidd to focus more on his or her own driving and less on the behaviour of others

Looks to me like the only person judging you is you.

I must not write very well if you think that.

Not only that Bailey caravans are designed I believe to tow at 81mph.

I believe the OP was simply annoyed that other drivers were passing him, as he was already on the limit.

It could be argued that 60mph was excessive, the conditions dictate what speed is actually safe.

The fact is some rigs will safely do higher speeds, so they do, it doesn't mean they are doomed to having an incident.

As already mentioned the solo limit is 70mph, which sees cars cruising at 80-90mph on a daily basis.

I returned home yesterday and don't think I reached 60mph and was often under 50mph, anyone who wants to pass is quite welcome, just don't cut in as some solo cars do it annoys me.

The braking distance in front of you is your responsibility, as somebody overtakes you then you slow to create that space. You hit the vehicle in front then it is your fault.

In Lincolnshire many it seems are happy to drive solo in a 60 at 40mph, then as you overtake they may speed up to match you, seems odd, waking up is what we call it.

Not sure what you mean by this last comment. Is it that you would have hoped for better behavior from someone with a baby or that travelling in the back is also a problem? They surely can't have been going that fast for you to note all this while concentrating on your own driving?

60 mph is the law but that in itself does not imply it is safe or unsafe. Most of us own cars which are perfectly safe when driven at 80mph which is outside the law. Similarly most of us own outfits which are perfectly safe when driven in excess of 60mph (as we are allowed to do in some countries)

But the chances of fatality increase with speed, non?

More braking space?

More affected by wind, etc?

The limit is limit not a target.

Perhaps the OP would be dvidd to focus more on his or her own driving and less on the behaviour of others

Gold rospa driver, B+E entitlement obtained and other professional driver training.

Have a good read of roadcraft.

The braking distance in front of you is your responsibility, as somebody overtakes you then you slow to create that space. You hit the vehicle in front then it is your fault.

Yes, it is in terms of civil litigation.

But criminally, that is driving without reasonable consideration of other road users, or could even be worse dependant on outcome of manouvere.

I believe the OP was simply annoyed that other drivers were passing him, as he was already on the limit.

Couldnt give a hoot! Lol

It could be argued that 60mph was excessive, the conditions dictate what speed is actually safe.

I returned home yesterday and don't think I reached 60mph and was often under 50mph, anyone who wants to pass is quite welcome, just don't cut in as some solo cars do it annoys me.

Not only that Bailey caravans are designed I believe to tow at 81mph.

The fact is some rigs will safely do higher speeds, .

Can you point us to the evidence for these two statements please? And then re the second statement explain how such rigs cope with say a blow out at 81mph and or the resultant snaking etc. These speed limits aren't necessarily about the ability to travel in a straight line at such speeds than the ability to cope with the unexpected.