Full Size Spare Wheel For Mazda Cx5

Bob From Dunstable

Every car I have owned (and that`s a lot) has had a full size spare wheel supplied. Over 50 years of motoring I can only remember changing a wheel because of a puncture twice.

Then along comes a CX5 and (like an increasing number of new cars) it does not come with a spare. I was offered a space saver by the Dealer for £318 plus £80 for the jack kit, which I declined due to price, that it`s not recommended for use when towing a caravan and the fact of experiencing only two punctures in 50 years.

What happens within a few weeks of owning the car ? A puncture of course ! On a Sunday afternoon fortunately not when towing but on holiday and needing to tow the following morning. Disaster ! But, wait a moment we have Green Flag breakdown insurance for car and caravan. Green Flag`s response "what do you expect us to do we don`t repair punctures and no tyre depots are open ?" Only thing they could do was give me a couple of tyre depots to try on Monday morning.

Fortunately I was able to repeatedly pump up the tyre and get to a tyre depot on the Monday morning who repaired the puncture and we were able to tow the van home the following day.

Now I am very uncomfortable without a full size spare and would like to get one. I have asked my Dealer for a price but so far he can only give me a price for a space saver.

I believe other Forum members have sourced full size spares for their CX5`s so if anyone could let me know where they bought them and how much I should expect to pay I would appreciate the assistance

Thanks,

Bob

Mercedes Benz E220 AMG Line Auto Estate and Bailey S4 Unicorn Cadiz

I bought a set of four from an owner who wasn't happy with the rising oil level his car was having, he used four 17" wheels for his winter tyres, and sold his 19" after trading in, dealer didn't notice the incorrect wheel size.

So paid £650 for them which was a fair price at the time as tyres were around £150 and wheels £200!

And a dealer supplied space saver over £300, robbery.

Have a look at this site

http://www. sgpetchparts. co. uk/mazda/cx-5/2012-2013-diesel-2. 2-TD-173-bhp/Alloy-Wheel-19-Inch-18190. html

Tyres can be bought now for around £135 I believe, so you get a full size wheel for the price of a saver.

Another option is buying a second hand wheel.

If you go the full wheel root the floor needs to be packed at least 40mm, I used a sheet of builders foam at a cost of around £20. Just cut it to a horse shoe shape.

By the way my car came with a jack as standard, as I ordered the poly surround for the space saver at around £60.

There is also a steel spare available but a 17" wheel.

http://www. sgpetchparts. co. uk/mazda/cx-5/2012-2013-diesel-2. 2-TD-148-bhp/Steel-Spare-Wheel-17x5. 5J-17647. html

Edited by xtrailman

I've owned 8 cars over a period of 13 years. All but two of them have had punctures, with two of them having had two each. That makes a total of 8 punctures. I'm not sure how big a hole a repair kit will deal with, but I do know that at least two (maybe up to four) of the punctures totally destroyed the tyre so a kit would have been no good.

The two largest and most recent cars have come with spacesavers and I've been 'happy' to accept these rather than swap for full size wheels. I don't think I would be happy with the kit.

The green flag people lied to you I'm afraid, they do repair punctures. They have repaired a couple on my cars. They carry a kit with them to insert a plug into the tyre. These are supposed to be temporary only but will get you home. As long as it's not a complete rip of the side-wall or anything.

Just £150 of your hard earned gets a full size spare --> http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Mazda-CX-5-19-Inch-Alloy-Wheel-Rim-WHL3354-/161387687723?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item259374af2b

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Thank you all for your very helpful responses. I am buying a full size wheel now and looking at tyres, as it`s only a spare I think I will go for cheapest rather than matching with the existing tyres as (hopefully) it may never be used or at worst only for a short time. I do have a jack supplied with the car so won`t need to get one.

Interesting to hear that Green Flag do repair punctures. The guy who came out to us was very definite that they do not carry the necessary equipment to repair them. I`ll be speaking to Green Flag about this.

Thanks again,

Bob

Further to Dreadly`s comments above and bearing in mind the considerable inconvenience that I incurred when Green Flag told me they do not repair punctures, I spoke to Green Flag today.

They confirmed that they do not repair punctures. The options they will give you are ;

1 Change the wheel if you have a spare.

2 If no spare use the Customer`s foam kit

Or 3 Recover your vehicle to a tyre repairer/supplier or a safe place if the tyre depots are closed.

Bob

Don't GF use local contractors? So really it would depend on who comes to the break down whether flexibility is offered?

GF obviously have there guides but that shouldn't stop a contractor offering alternatives.

I also thought an option was to be taken home, I have premium cover and thought that was an option?

Edited by xtrailman

Sorry, you are correct. My puncture repairs where carried out by the RAC. Before I changed to green flag. Sorry! My bad. That's pretty poor though!

Mahatma Gandhi

The guy who attended us was in a Green Flag van. If they had subbed it out I might have been luckier.

I do think it`s pretty poor service. I would expect any breakdown organisation to take ownership of your problem and solve it for you. Obviously I expect to pay for any parts and if a serious problem then to have to be taken to a repairer. But I fully expected the responsibility of a puncture repair to be taken off me and accepted by Green Flag.

Bob

I've owned 8 cars over a period of 13 years. All but two of them have had punctures, with two of them having had two each. That makes a total of 8 punctures. I'm not sure how big a hole a repair kit will deal with, but I do know that at least two (maybe up to four) of the punctures totally destroyed the tyre so a kit would have been no good.

The two largest and most recent cars have come with spacesavers and I've been 'happy' to accept these rather than swap for full size wheels. I don't think I would be happy with the kit.

Blimey, I've only had three punctures in almost 50 years of motoring. Am I lucky or were you unlucky?

Blimey, I've only had three punctures in almost 50 years of motoring. Am I lucky or were you unlucky?

Well one was definitely the OH's fault - glanced the kerb at speed. The others have mostly been due to nails and screws (one rock on a dark Scottish road too) or unexplained slows, so not really our fault. There are two that vie for most spectacular:

• tread came away from the side wall and took out half the bumper whilst on motorway - this on a 4wd after a weekend of driving in deep sand and saltwater (Fraser Island, Queensland) which must have caused the tyre to delaminate
  • A motorbike took a large nick out of the front tyre as it glanced off my car as I made a right turn across a single carriageway road - he had decided it was a safe place/time to pass and was very lucky to not get totally wiped out. The insurance companies are still sorting this one out

I hadn't thought I was unlucky, until now!

Depends were you live and work, over 25 years working in a melting shop with regular scrap deliveries I would guess I've averaged 2 punctures a year.

Since retiring 11 years ago only two.

Explains really why I've gone to the expense of a proper spare.

Have now installed a full size spare wheel in the CX5`s boot. Thank you Dreadly for the tip off for the used wheel on ebay which I bought and, apart from a tiny mark, is as new and thanks also to Xtrailman for the advice on raising the floor level. Works well, apart from a bit of a gap along the rear edge that I can live with.

I bought a cheap tyre from a company on the internet, who have to remain nameless as they turned out to be totally useless in all respects including no understanding of Customer service which I have finally managed to cancel and (hopefully) get a refund. I then turned to our local small independent tyre depot and got the same tyre for £18 less without any haggling ! Just shows that buying on the web is not always cheapest and certainly not always the best choice.

Had to buy a retaining bolt and that was not quite long enough as they are made for a space saver. My local car accessory shop was able to supply a 300 mm length of threaded bolt which I was able to cut to length and use as a replacement for the short length in the Mazda retainer.

Hope I don`t have to change the wheel myself though as it is REALLY heavy and I would require a lie down in a darkened room to recover after lifting it out of the boot. I`ll probably be towing at about 85% now instead of 89% !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again,

Bob

Glad its sorted for you, its reassuring having a proper spare IMO.

As for the weight mine was approximately 27kg, and yes heavy enough to increase fuel consumption by (so I've read) 0. 1 mpg.

And there`s me thinking that an increase in kerb weight would be good news !

But I do feel happier knowing it`s there if needed,

Bob

I do think that the breakdown organisations should review their policies regarding spares as more & more cars nowadays are just being equipped with a compressor & gunge`. My S-Max came with gunge but I do carry around a full size spare wheel which I got from E-bay for £40 when I'm towing. It takes up a fair amount of boot space as there's no dedicated space for a spare. As to punctures, I reckon I've had about 4 in 50 years of motoring, the last one was 15 years ago.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

So it was you that bought the wheel. Grrrr. I had my eye on that ;)

Mahatma Gandhi

You can borrow it but I want it back just before I have a puncture,

Bob

You can borrow it but I want it back just before I have a puncture,

Bob

Sounds like a European Union plan. What could possibly go wrong ;)

Mahatma Gandhi

So it was you that bought the wheel. Grrrr. I had my eye on that ;)

Post 1709, it may still be available.

http://www. mazdas247. com/forum/showthread. php?123817748-How-many-Brits-Fancy-a-cuppa/page114

dreadly you need to empty your inbox, its not accepting messages.

The spares mentioned above are still available.

There is room to store a full sized spare then? I have always dismissed the CX5 because of no spare, especially after 2 punctures last year.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

There is room to store a full sized spare then? I have always dismissed the CX5 because of no spare, especially after 2 punctures last year.

Easily, there is a massive wheel storage space under the boot platform. I use it to store tools and stuff at the moment though.

Mahatma Gandhi