Freesat System, Which Would You Recommend ?

Which Freesat system would you buy ?

Kia Sorento XS auto and Swift Conqueror 630.

I have a now obsolete Humax HD, mains powered unit; been very pleased with it and that is the brand I would buy again.

A deciding point is whether you have to have a 12 VDC unit, if so the choices are very limited.

No particular dish is required, as long as it is large enough for where you are; a 54 CM is fine for the UK.

I like the Triax folding arm range.

Edited by JTQ

I have a Humax freesat unit a couple of years old, its not my favourite pvr the search function is very poor IMO compared to the Humax free view Pvr's.

Just bought another freeview last month, that's the problem they don't seem to last long. I have three units all US, and another three still in use!

Only advice I can give is buy a 1T memory if you record HD as it eats memory.

Edited by xtrailman

hi dunclie have to agree with above. we gave up sky to get freesat and havnt looked back went for the hd1000s with 1 terabyte of recording space, so easy to set up, find your way round and record with, one off record or hole series its no problem, never looked back at 249 quid, martin

The main room at home has a Humax Foxsat HDR but also have a Sagemcom Freesat HD box for another room and for the caravan as it works on 12v.

Tempted by the increasing number of 12v TVs out now which have combined Freeview and Freesat receivers built in, like the Avtex L187DRS as it is one box less to plug in. It would sit nicely in my bedroom and be easily put in the van when going away.

I word of caution re the Avtex TV; the one I have only has a DVB-S/S2 generic tuners NOT "Freesat" TM.

And re reading their web site that has not changed in the latest offering.

The issue with not having true "Freesat" TM is that the excellent Freesat EPG [the electronic programme guide] is not available. So without access to another programme guide, say Newspaper, or online, then you can't plan your viewing or directly set the "recording". With info on programmes you can still set the recording, but it is hit and miss and lacks self correction if the schedule slips.

Apart from the previous poster, I would highly recommend the Avtex TV with built in satellite tuner.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

There is a cheaper option if you don't want a recording capability - get a used Sky box. It will work without a viewing card but 101 will be BBC1 London and 103 will be ITV Central West; with a card you will get your home regions in 101 and 103 and the card costs £25 once off. (Once activated in one box the card can be used in any box.)

Most s/h boxes you will find these days will be Sky+HD but they will work perfectly well as a receiver without using the record facility (for which you have to pay Sky £10pm if you are not a subscriber) and you only need a single cable (input1) and a single output LNB on the dish. A useful alternative is a Sky multiroom box which is essentially the same receiver as the Sky+HD but with no recording capability and is thus much smaller.

You will be able to get one of these from your local Cash Converters for £20 or less and usually with a 30 day warranty to give you chance to test it. These boxes will usually still have an expired subscription card in them so the overall cost is the box only.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Kia Sorento XS auto and Swift Conqueror 630.