Dorrie Van Lachterop

pp DVL

Dorrie was taken seriously ill on Saturday last, August 2nd and was admitted to hospital where she was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and will have palliative treatment only, bearing in mind her age and frailty.

The family ask that you think of her.

The TV Program was made in 2008, when Dorrie was 89. She has been living at home alone until now, and is hoping to return there, with support, to see out her remaining days. She still has her poodle, now 14 years old.

Her mind is still very active and she has very much enjoyed meeting those who recognised her from the program, happily showing them her Cheltenham Fawn caravan, and has met many people who started caravanning as a result of seeing the programme, "Caravans - A British Love Affair".

post-6-0-51376900-1407620022_thumb.jpg

I remember the programme very well, and Dorrie. She lives not far from me. Sad news indeed!

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

A unique and adventurous lady. She had some real and unusual camping experiences many of us will never get.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Oh that is sad, a wonderful woman.

I also read that Christine Fagg who appeared on the programme was now in a residential home suffering from dementia. That was a while ago so the situation may have changed sadly.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

I just watched this programme for the first time and was very impressed by both ladies. I hope Dorrie gets back home with her dog as she wishes to do.

I have printed the above responses and Dorrie has read them . . She sends her thanks, and is very appreciative of your taking time to comment.

I hope to be able to show her this thread shortly . . perhaps any further posts could address her directly.

Maybe http://vimeo. com/62806194 could be of interest to some . . it is a short film, made by her grand-daughter Jessica, about the van Lachterop family

Edited by pp DVL

Aww what a shame, i've watched that programme everytime it's been on with my Husband. Hope things go as well as can be and just goes to show nothing wrong in lone caravanning! Hope she knows we're thinking of her and are sad to hear the news.

I did post a link somewhere about Christine Fagg but not actually looked to see if it's been updated or anything yet.

Two great women!

I have printed the above responses and Dorrie has read them . . She sends her thanks, and is very appreciative of your taking time to comment.

I hope to be able to show her this thread shortly . . perhaps any further posts could address her directly.

Maybe http://vimeo. com/62806194 could be of interest to some . . it is a short film, made by her grand-daughter Jessica, about the van Lachterop family

I've got to get ready and back to work soon but will watch tonight, really genuinely saddened to hear her news!

Compass Shadow 1988

Best wishes to Dorrie from a real Fan.

Love watching the film whenever it appears. You tell a real story which must have inspired many to take up the hobby.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

• 1 month later...

Just watching her now on TV. Never seen it before.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

A truly inspirational lady.

Paul

2009 2. 5 Kia Sorento
2012 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

A truly inspirational lady.

Paul

Sums it up nicely Paul. ..

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I liked the other lady on the program too. Her husband was a 'manic' sailor and she didn't enjoy sailing with him, so she bought a caravan and went off on her own with her kids instead !

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

That's sad news, any update on how she is?

Dorrie is being cared for at home by the family with help and advice from social services and the St Giles organisation.

She is as well as can be expected

Thank you for asking

hi

As a child me and my family lived next door to mrs van lachterop, and her family. She was a wounderful lady, we called her mrs van,alway drove a landrover. She had some new fencing erected and she did not want to offend us, and she took us for a wounderfull day out to cannock chase. We loved her and realy respected her. .

God bless

kevin rudd and family

hi

As a child me and my family lived next door to mrs van lachterop, and her family. She was a wounderful lady, we called her mrs van,alway drove a landrover. She had some new fencing erected and she did not want to offend us, and she took us for a wounderfull day out to cannock chase. We loved her and realy respected her. .

God bless

kevin rudd and family

Hello Kevin,

I saw Dorrie and her son & daughter yesterday.

They remember you and your family and thank you for post.

They send their regards and best wishes to you and all your family.

Edited by pp DVL

• 1 month later...

Dorrie passed away in her sleep at about 4 am today, 21 November.

She was 95, and was still caravanning until shortly before her diagnosis with cancer in August.

Though the family had towed her 'van for her since 2012, she still drove locally until March this year.

She was very happy that one of her grand-daughters had bought a 'van this year and in fact does most of the towing. One of Dorrie's last outings with the 'van was to a local site where her g' daughter and her family were having a shakedown weekend with the new 'van.

Dorrie had enjoyed the celebrity she gained from the TV programme and was always happy to meet and chat to people who had seen the programme. She was always astonished when she was asked for her autograph.

Dorrie will be greatly missed by her family and great circle of friends.

Sad to hear of Dorrie’s passing, my condolences to her family, truly an inspirational woman

How sad. She sounded like a wonderful lady.

Thanks ppDVL. ..sad news a great character,something lacking these days. ..

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Sad news. Condolences to the family

Mike.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Sad to read and our condolences to all those close to her.

But what a legacy, though her involvement in the BBC program she did our hobby great credit, both with those not involved and only with a passing interest, and was an inspiration to those actively caravanning. RIP.

Sorry to hear such sad news. I did see the programme and, aged 74, I was inspired by her.

Dorrie will surely rest in peace after such a long and fulfilled life.

Alan

Edited by a13est

Aww sad to hear this, thinking of her family and friends x

Compass Shadow 1988