Wire Tv To Radio

Daveg

Hi

Just been away at weekend and even with tv sound turned to max, we couldnot hear it through speakers due to heavy rain !!

I have bought a 10m phono lead and intend wiring it to aux input on the caravan radio ( sound will therefore be above our heads )

My van is a Olympus 534 alutech, but can anyone tell me how you remove the internal corner trims at the front of van ( I want to hide as much cable as possible ). This should bring the wire up into locker where radio is

Thanks

Dave

Car -- VW Passat Tech   Estate 
Caravan -- 2019 Elddis Affinity 

Dave,

If you get one of those electricians cable rod sets from Ebay you can run the cable up from the relevant side locker to the cupboard that holds the radio. The internal corner trim is made of plastic and could easily get damaged. There is a bunch of cables coming through the bulkhead in the offside locker, so there is no need to drill any holes. I used the above method to fit a satellite socket in my previous Pegasus. If you have an Avtex TV, there is an inbuilt FM transmitter that sends a signal at a default 93. 00hz. You can then listen to your TV through the caravan radio. It works very well, especially if it's teeming down.

This link from my gallery may help in some way?

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/gallery/album/991-bailey-pegasus-2-satellite-mod/

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/CABLE-ACCESS-KIT-KITS-ELECTRICIANS-PUSH-PULL-PULLER-ROD-RODS-WIRE-WIRES-NEW-/271394876175?pt=UK_BOI_Materials_Supplies_Electrical_ET&var=&hash=item3f30652b0f

David

Edited by Seaman

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Tried this, found the sound coming from the wrong place sounded very odd. Instead invested in one of these, expensive but their are many alternatives.

Mounted on a perspex stand under the telly. Also great to Bluetooth music to and easily moved to the awning.

http://www. thurgo. co. uk/item-35604-bose-soundlink-mini-bluetooth-speaker?source=googleps

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Thanks for replies gents . Now i have cable i will try to hard wire it, however I never thought of an external speaker which is an option

Car -- VW Passat Tech   Estate 
Caravan -- 2019 Elddis Affinity 

We had the same a couple of weeks ago in Bath. TV sound normally 24, but even at 37 with the sound coming from the radio speakers about 2ft from our ears we still couldn't hear!!!

I used 'figure-of-eight' dual screened coax. I ran it through the bottom edges of the cupboards from above the TV round to the radio and plugged in the front, and had a drop cable from a cupboard to the headphone socket on the back of the TV - that way when you have found the optimum level setting on the radio you can use the TV remote to adjust the volume.

Two things to note: you need to go digging in the TV menus to set the sound to mono - you can't do it on the radio aux input - so that you can both hear all of the audio clearly, and you will find that there is some low level noise emitted by the TV on the headphone output (sounds a bit like the old-fashioned 'motor-boating') which you will have to remove by turning the radio down and then increasing the TV volume. Finally, most TV's handle the volume setting for the speakers and the headphone socket independently, so always turn the TV sound DOWN before pulling the plug out of the headphone socket else you may deafen yourself next time you plug in!

Edited by Woodentop

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Dave,

If you get one of those electricians cable rod sets from Ebay you can run the cable up from the relevant side locker to the cupboard that holds the radio. The internal corner trim is made of plastic and could easily get damaged. There is a bunch of cables coming through the bulkhead in the offside locker, so there is no need to drill any holes. I used the above method to fit a satellite socket in my previous Pegasus. If you have an Avtex TV, there is an inbuilt FM transmitter that sends a signal at a default 93. 00hz. You can then listen to your TV through the caravan radio. It works very well, especially if it's teeming down.

David

Hi David,

We have an Avtex tv. So with the tv switched on do we simply tune the radio to 93. 00hz to automatically pick up the tv sound ?

thanks.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Hi David,

We have an Avtex tv. So with the tv switched on do we simply tune the radio to 93. 00hz to automatically pick up the tv sound ?

thanks.

Hi Lesbunny,

You will need to go into the TV menu and scroll down to the sub menu that has FM transmitter. You can select Low, Med, High. The transmitter frequency can be changed also, if 93. 00hz clashes with another transmission. With your TV on, tune your radio by scanning and the sound from the TV magically appears from the radio speakers. The TV volume will be redundant, you will need to control it from the radio. :)

David

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Hi David,

thanks.

Avtex seem to have dropped this facility now.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

John

I did not have much luck with this in my Valencia v1, so wired a quality screened lead from TV to radio just after getting van. That is when I discovered the wet locker problem. ....

The screened lead works a treat - especially since upgrading the speakers. .....

Bailey Unicorn Valencia v1 with MAX Upgrade + POWR HD mover with roller upgrade + ALDE 3010-246 + Al-Ko ATC Display
Seat Ateca 190PS TDI 4WD

We did this on our Peg a while back. It's the best mod I've made by far. The sound quality is 1000% improved and because the speakers are right over our heads we can have the volume really low yet hear the programmes clearly.

John

Hi John,

Pleased to say you are not correct. Both our avtex sets ( a 15" freeview set & 18" freesat set ) both have this feature. Tried both thisevening at home and got sound through the radio in another room. ......... very happy chappy :D:D

Thanks again to Seaman

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Les, you are welcome, now bring on the rain and give it a proper test.

David

We are rainproof and thunderproof, wharfedale 9s run off a Cambridge amp!

post-55551-0-27588600-1407883964_thumb.jpg

We are rainproof and thunderproof, wharfedale 9s run off a Cambridge amp!

Let's hope that those on the next pitches are watching the same TV program.

I have done this exact mod on the exact same van.

I ran the wire over the roof from the radio, under that strip that runs across the van, In to the cupboards and through the corner conduits, down through the corner cover where the heater flue runs, back up through a small hole drilled through the TV stand and to the TV.

I didn't use a pre-made cable though, I went to maplins and bought the cable and plugs separate and made it up myself so it's easier to run and the hole I drilled is only 2. 5mm. I also left a 5 foot tail at the TV end so SWMBO can plug her iPod in from the bedroom.

Works really well, a bit like surround sound when we watch a movie :-)

Those corner conduits just pull off and snap back on :-)

I would be honoured if you could spare a few pounds to sponsor me.

I am playing in a charity ice hockey match in July in aid of Help For Heroes

Please text STGO94 £2 to 70070 or visit justgiving. com/SteelerGoalie94

Let's hope that those on the next pitches are watching the same TV program.

You'll be glad to know we are to be found in the far corner of a CL somewhere out of earshot!

• 1 month later...

Somewhat along the same lines with rain noise etc. .... I have a satellite system digibox in the van and what I have done is run a hidden cable from the audio output connectors on the digibox and pluged it into the Aux socket on the radio. I also changed the pre-installed JVC radio for a cheapish Tevion (or similar) radio which has remote control so now we can adjust the voloume whilst lying in bed :)

Couldn't you just use an external sound bar designed for that purpose that sits under the TV?

Not sure how they connect, but might be worth a look?

Edited by Roger3596

Audi Q5 3. 0Tdi S Line

Hi

Just been away at weekend and even with tv sound turned to max, we couldnot hear it through speakers due to heavy rain !!

I have bought a 10m phono lead and intend wiring it to aux input on the caravan radio ( sound will therefore be above our heads )

My van is a Olympus 534 alutech, but can anyone tell me how you remove the internal corner trims at the front of van ( I want to hide as much cable as possible ). This should bring the wire up into locker where radio is

Thanks

Dave

This is such an obvious thing to do I cannot for the life of me understand why the manufacturers don't fit a phono socket feed to the radio from the TV point as standard

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

I have one of these, as long as you tv has a head phone out connection it will work fine. Mine does :). http://m. ebay. co. uk/itm/291120418489?nav=SEARCH

Citroen ds4 2. 0 hdi 163bhp Lunar Venus 500 2012.

Hi John,

Pleased to say you are not correct. Both our avtex sets ( a 15" freeview set & 18" freesat set ) both have this feature. Tried both thisevening at home and got sound through the radio in another room. ......... very happy chappy :D:D

Thanks again to Seaman

Pleased for you but it is not a facility on my 21. 5 inch. L2160RS. Purchased 11 months ago.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Couldn't you just use an external sound bar designed for that purpose that sits under the TV?

Not sure how they connect, but might be worth a look?

As in my post num 3.

Sounds great and has other uses. There are many cheaper alternatives.

John

Love my gadgets as Tony will know. .. But, a caravan is not breeze blocks like our houses back home. I would love my 5. 1 surround sound in my caravan, buy I don't think my neighbours would. ... Sound bars are very good, but the bass is very good too. When we're on site, I always go out side at night and listen to see if our tv is too loud. If it is I tell her to turn it down. .. The fm transmitter I posted from eBay is ideal, along as the tv has an head phone jack. No messy wires to worry about.

Citroen ds4 2. 0 hdi 163bhp Lunar Venus 500 2012.

Thanks for this information, didnt know you could do that. Ill try it next time out in the van in october

Kev

Hi Lesbunny,

You will need to go into the TV menu and scroll down to the sub menu that has FM transmitter. You can select Low, Med, High. The transmitter frequency can be changed also, if 93. 00hz clashes with another transmission. With your TV on, tune your radio by scanning and the sound from the TV magically appears from the radio speakers. The TV volume will be redundant, you will need to control it from the radio. :)

David

Kev H<p>Ford Transit Custom Campervan closely followed by a Lunar Lexon 640