Checking Caravan When It's Raining....

gooney1971

Is it just me, but we had really bad storms last night starting from 4:00pm onwards. Rushed out to my van in-between the heavy rain to check for any leaks, thankfully none. Am I sad, wife seems to think so. ... Then ended up watching tv, while the rain fell. Nice and cosy. .. Can't wait to get away, we're off to Bath in September from the 6th for a week. Roll on. ... :)

Citroen ds4 2. 0 hdi 163bhp Lunar Venus 500 2012.

Now you know there's no leaks in the heaviest of storms, sleep safely the next time the rain comes.

Sad? Maybe ;) .

2019 Adria Adora Thames

More rain coming in over night, might just check again. I'll take some beers in this time ;)

We just changed our van. If I was well enough to drive I'd be over at the storage site now checking it.

As it is, I'll have to wait until I can drive next week and hope the dealer was telling the truth :o

We were travelling to site and then setting up in that storm last night - that is sad and mad! All toasty and warm once done though. You're not mad at all ;)

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

It's everyone's worst nightmare to find damp, or a leak. We spend a lot of money on these tin sheds, and I know some of you on here are having problems with leaks and damp. Thank god it's not happened to me "yet", I'm on my second van. This one is newer, and it was a big step. Especially as the last one was 11 years old and bone dry, hopefully this one will stay dry too. Happy vanning peeps :)

its good to check, whilst away I had a small leak in the front window coming from the top of the window seal slight adjustment of the seal fixed it for the moment, I have new window seal to do all the windows, will have to check the van tomorrow, not had time to wash it and put it back under cover

Towing with 2. 0 darkside mk3 Ford Focus hatch named the Naked Turtle, towing a 1993 Abi Jubilee Emperor Named Michelle

My house roof leaks, my Land Rover lets in water somewhere, but the van is dry as a bone.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Here in Cotnwall,we had tge hurrican last night with torrential rain. All over now but I assume you lot will get it later.

Great for flying kites!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Just started here, just rain at the moment. No wind yet.

Found a small leak in the bathroom rooflight assembly. Nothing major but I'll be dropping into the dealers tomorrow to get it fixed. Everywhere else is bone dry.

I sat in my caravan a total of about 20 days last year in the rain due to lovely British summer. So any leaks would of shown up.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

When it rains really hard we use a set of Ear Plugs for peace and quiet, we keep two sets in the van ready to use in storms or very noisy neighbours on site !!

Les

Les

When mine was outside when I was working on it I used to go out and sit when it was stormy or keep working on it in the rain just to make sure!

Compass Shadow 1988

Mine is in storage on the Costa Del Sol, some storms about at the moment when it rains there it rains heavily . had some last Easter and May, wow, all was good, time we get there in Sept no doubt it will be hot and dry . . hoping for a odd storm Sept/Oct so I can sit in the van and do a damp test and a have a roof clean .

I have done some repairs to mine in the last couple of weeks, found when we went to Winchester c. c site a couple of leaks due to some minor cracks in the abs front around the tops of the windows .

All sealed up now but the rain give my work a good going over, I have been out a few times in the last week to check if the leaks have returned but no sign as of yet .

Santa Fe cdx+ , fleetwood countryside 450-ek

Still love sitting in it on a stormy night, think it reminds me of my childhood. Gas lamps, fold down bed. ... No toilet, just a bucket if your caught short in the middle of night. .. Happy days. .. We are spoilt these days, can't wait to get away in September. Been a busy year and expensive, daughter past her car test my son is getting married this Saturday. .. And to top it all, I'm going to be a grandad :) not my daughter. .. From my son, can't wait. He/she due feb 2nd, I did say I'm too young to be a grandad "43" but I'm very happy 😊

It was hammering down that hard last night I got up to check no one had left a tap on in the bathroom as that's what it sounded like, I was thinking " i'd love to be in the caravan, if there was the tineist leak then it would well be exposed now!"

Compass Shadow 1988

I'm afraid mine has developed a leak around the water heater flue, just been out and dismantled it all and the original sealant has been washed away, I suppose that's not too bad as it is 11 years old. I've done a temp repair using plumbers mate and silicone but will have to get some proper stuff next week. Not sure what the sealant is tho, it looks like a type of plumbers mait but drys rock hard. Any suggestions anyone??

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

We don't mind the rain lashing down but we do not like high winds,especially when the awning is up, you always think "did I hammer that storm strap peg fully into the ground, shall I check it " then other half says "go back to sleep" i can't win !!

Les

Les

The gallery we got our van from last week repaired the leak we had on Monday.

Yesterday we took the van to a site not too far away to test everything before or upcoming 12 night trip and it poured down - and there was a new leak :o

Dropped the caravan of with the dealer again today for the repair and he's promised a free caravan upgrade (to a better & newer modrl) if it leaks again.

Part oflf me is hoping it leaks again - does that make me a bad person? :)

No it doesn't make you a bad person, i've no faith in dealers but sounds like a good one I suppose if he does offer you an upgrade as he's obviously confident in his work.

Compass Shadow 1988

I love sitting in the caravan when it is raining, my last too outing with the caravan we had some very heavy storms, mid July I was in Shropshire when the mother of all storms hit us late Friday evening and all though the night and most of Saturday as well, if the caravan had any leaks I think I would have found them. The last one was last weekend when I was in York followed by very strong winds all night and all day going home. I think it is safe to say my caravan is weather prof for now anyway.

We've just had a lively week down in Hythe (Kent) and I was sleeping in the awning.

I reckon you can't beat kipping in a caravan, tent or boat in a good downpour (assuming that they don't leak of course).

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning