Help! Going Away In The Morning And Brake Light Problem

neilc1972

Can somebody please give me some advice. Going away tommorow morning and my caravan brake lights appear not to be working. I have an Avondale Dart 510 and have very recently had the extra grey plug socket added to the exisiting black socket on the car towbar to give me the full electrics to the caravan. I went out to check everything was working for tomorrow morning. The running lights are working (outside lights on the rear panel) but nothing seems to happen when I press the brake pedal in the car. I cannot find any info. about the lighting panel and I'm wanting to know basically if the red rear running light should get significantly brighter when the car brake pedal is depressed as I can only see a extremely small difference in the brightness. I hope this makes sense? Any help would be brillaint. Thanks Neil

Hi, yes did that and with the lights off the braking lights work? When i switch the running lights on and then brake i can hardly see a difference?

I'm not a great auto electrician but try taking the bulbs out, turn them 180 degrees and try then, if they're duel element bulbs it may be that the brake element is glowing on normal running lights and when depressing brake the running light element glows slightly.

Ps I know the lugs on the bulb are at different levels so they can't be put in wrong but I think on older bulbs they're the same level. Other than that try the wiring in the 12N plug

Edited by F185

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

Thanks, will give this a go now, I'll let you know shortly - thanks for the help! two kids here asking if we are still going!

I had a similar problem with a caravan some 25 years ago. It turned out to be the way the bulb had been inserted. However in this case you have not changed a bulb - or have you?

Edited by Easy T

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Could be a earth problem or the pins in the plug are dirty try giving the plug a wiggle .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

THANKYOU SO MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That worked and we are now still on track for a 4am start, thanks again for your help. :) :) :)

THANKYOU SO MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That worked and we are now still on track for a 4am start, thanks again for your help. :) :) :)

Best get some shut eye then. Night

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

sorry i should of pointed out that it was turning the bulbs 180 degrees that sorted the problem. thanks again to the people who gave advice, much appreciated!

If I can help somebody, as I pass along,

If I can cheer somebody, with a word or song,

If I can show somebody, how they're travelling wrong,

Then my living shall not be in vain.

Haha night all

This is the type of post I love reading.

Someone asks for help with a problem. Solutions proposed and hey presto it works - problem solved and everyone is happy!!

Russ

If only all our problems could be solved so easily, but well done to F185 for finding the right answer.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Hi again, just wanted to post and thank F185 again for the help and advice last saturday when the clock was ticking towards set off time and I was struggling with a brake light problem. I managed to fix it thanks to the helpful advice and had a great week away in Dawlish. Hurricane Bertha passed in the night without any caravans tipped over or awnings ripped off, much hyped up in the newspapers in my opinion. Got back today feeling refreshed and ready to take on the world again. Thanks again, it was very very much appreciated!!!!

Hi again, just wanted to post and thank F185 again for the help and advice last saturday when the clock was ticking towards set off time and I was struggling with a brake light problem. I managed to fix it thanks to the helpful advice and had a great week away in Dawlish. Hurricane Bertha passed in the night without any caravans tipped over or awnings ripped off, much hyped up in the newspapers in my opinion. Got back today feeling refreshed and ready to take on the world again. Thanks again, it was very very much appreciated!!!!

Thankyou Niel, glad to be of assistance and pleased you had a good holiday. I was away last week as well and it was quite cozy sitting in the van with the wind and rain doing it's thing outside.

I've had many happy childhood holiday in Dawlish, sitting on the beach with the trains whizzing by above you. Great memories.

Cheers

Hi,

The great part of this post ?---- Nielc1972 came back with up dates and a thank you to all involved. Theirs a lot that dont-------------------

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!