Avondale Argente - If We Have To Replace Some Of The Timber Frame.

Hi, I have a few questions so thought I'd post them individually.

Our Avondale Argente has water Ingres at the front, we've striped out the interior panel and part of the timber frame is wet.

Can this be dried, treated and saved?

If we have to replace, how easy is it to un-attach the wood from the outer skin without damaging it?

Any advise much appreciated.

Many thanks

I will ask the obvious question. Is the wood rotten or just wet. Somebody is bound to ask if you have any photos

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

I'll ask do you have any pics? :D and also as asked is it just wet or rotten? If rotten will need replaced but if it's just wet then fixing the leak where the waters getting in should be all that's required and it will dry out.

Also is it a timber built frame as in the older caravan? If it is it should just come away from the outer skin, not sure about the newer constructed "sandwich" type though or how they're bonded to the skin.

Compass Shadow 1988

Hi, thanks for replying, today we checked and it seems just the usual dark/wet wood and seems solid so we've sealed the leak we'll leave the interior panels off to dry out. Hopefully this should solve it. Thanks again

That's good news, it should dry out no problem

Compass Shadow 1988

We had to repair our Argente 640\6 for a similar water ingress issue. As the caravan is a wide body on a standard chassis, the floor had been flexing causing a break in the wall/floor join. We managed to save the wall board, and like you let the timbers dry thoroughly before making good.

To limit the likelihood of this happening again I added an internal wooden support across the whole front of the caravan, bolted through the floor and through the bulkhead. I'm waiting for my external steel outriggers to come back from the galvaniser. I've made 4 of these, front and back, to help support the floor.

If these don't look like they'll provide the support for an aging floor, I've measured up the chassis on the hobby sitting next to mine in storage and it would work very nicely. ....