Is Paris Too Far?

I am planning next year's trip to France. We are going in May. The main site we will be staying at is Caravanning des 4 vents, Crevecoeur En Brie, which is 15 minutes from EuroDisney.

We are planning to use the Ferry, probably from Dover to Calais. It's about 200 mile from the port to the Campsite, is this too much to do in one day?

Some facts to take into account, we are planning a morning crossing, somewhere between 9-11.

This will be my first time driving abroard let alone Towing.

Would it be better to stop off somewhere on the way for a day or too?

Any advice from seasoned travellers would be welcome.

Barry

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso towing a Sprite Major 4.

I drove and towed in France for the first time two years ago, it was dead easy. 200 miles will be easy enough to do in a day though I would advise to get a ferry departing no later than 9am. If you de feel you you want to stop sooner than planned then most towns have municipal sites that you can turn up at with no booking, in fact we did a whole two weeks tour withiut booking a single site.

Edited by SamP

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

Barry

Don't forget you will have an hours difference in time so a ferry leaving Dover at around 11. 00am means approx. 1. 00/2. 00 pm to be on the road out of the port. I think it perfectly doable if you leave Dover no later that 9. 00am but you will arrive quite late if you leave much later.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Exactly as David says. ..you can easily lose time due to time difference and delays.

There are plenty of sites around Calais and we prefer to take an afternoon crossings and start early next morning. .far more relaxing.

French roads are a lot less busy (especially at weekends as there are virtually no lorries allowed onnthe road) and 200miles is an easy run. But remember the journey can be part of the holiday. ..take your time and savour the experience.

Edited by ericfield

If you are travelling south from Barnsley to Dover and staying overnight near Dover, then a morning crossing after a good night's rest will be good. A 9. 0 am sailing will get you on the road to Paris by 11. 0 (ish) and 4 or 5 hours later will be 4. 0pm - a sensible time to arrive at a site with a booking. Enjoy your holiday Barry.

Ern

Why don't you use the hull ferry to zeebruge ? It gets into port early and it's less than 200 miles to Paris . . Road is pretty good.

I must admit that is not something I have considered, I shall investigate forthwith.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso towing a Sprite Major 4.

You will be fine has you are not in a GREEN OVAL.

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

My green oval gets me everywhere!! :D

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

I'll be doing exactly this journey tomorrow. 120 miles to Dover, lunchtime crossing then on to south west Paris by evening. Overnight there then on down to near Bergerac the following day.

3rd year in a row I've done this trip, as others have said the driving on the French side is easy.

2012 Lunar Quasar 546 towed by a 2008 Volvo XC90 D5.

If you use the toll roads, 200 miles is a breeze, the north of France is fairly flat and the toll roads put our motorways to shame.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Yes, definitely use the toll roads. Not that expensive and makes the journey effortless.

2012 Lunar Quasar 546 towed by a 2008 Volvo XC90 D5.

Does every thead need to get spoilt with this green oval silliness? It becomes tiresome and irrelevant to the op wanting help.

Where is your sense of Humour , not every thread neither . weekend on the doorstep and chill . ....LOL

Ste

Ste

It wasn't funny . . Pretty pointless

Was not meant to be funny, ,,,,,read the post Chief, ,,, he will be fine . .i say !

End off .

Ste

Edited by kobelcokid

Hi Barry

We used the same site two years ago with granddaughter.

Site is very friendly and is easy to get to. We left Chesterfield about 05:00 and arrived on site late afternoon. Didn't need to speed but did use peage.

Don't worry about getting back to site late if visiting Eurodisney as when we were there the night security allowed you onto site and to return to your pitch late at car tick over speed.

Gobur Carousel 12/2 TD

Coachman Amara 380/2

Swift Challenger Hi Style 425 pushing a Ford Kuga AWD

I am planning next year's trip to France. We are going in May. The main site we will be staying at is Caravanning des 4 vents, Crevecoeur En Brie, which is 15 minutes from EuroDisney.

We are planning to use the Ferry, probably from Dover to Calais. It's about 200 mile from the port to the Campsite, is this too much to do in one day?

Some facts to take into account, we are planning a morning crossing, somewhere between 9-11.

This will be my first time driving abroard let alone Towing.

Would it be better to stop off somewhere on the way for a day or too?

Any advice from seasoned travellers would be welcome.

Barry

I did Glasgow to the same campsite in one go last year so I would say no.

200 miles is nothing.

Anton

Edited by Anton88

Anton

Does every thead need to get spoilt with this green oval silliness? It becomes tiresome and irrelevant to the op wanting help.

Well said that man. It's funny how admin will lock some threads quite quickly, but will allow the green oval thread to run and run.

What next, "don't disrespect the blue oval".

Oh no, I've started something now. :ph34r:

I can recommend Hull - Zeebrugge route:

It is slightly more expensive even factoring in the fuel used to travel the length of England and an overnight stay near Dover, but if you aim to arrive at Hull sround 3:00pm to 4:00pm you can be on board and enjoying your holiday by 5:00pm. Next day you can be on the road by 10:00am local time and there is a Total fuel station about 5 minutes off the ferry on the right where you can top up with lower priced fuel. (not the difference in price there used to be, but as a blue badged (not oval) supermarket says. ..every little helps. it is then an easy 200 miles to Eurodisney. Allow for four hours driving and take a break in one of the 'Aires' on the motorway.

Trevor.

I can recommend Hull - Zeebrugge route:

It is slightly more expensive even factoring in the fuel used to travel the length of England and an overnight stay near Dover, but if you aim to arrive at Hull sround 3:00pm to 4:00pm you can be on board and enjoying your holiday by 5:00pm. Next day you can be on the road by 10:00am local time and there is a Total fuel station about 5 minutes off the ferry on the right where you can top up with lower priced fuel. (not the difference in price there used to be, but as a blue badged (not oval) supermarket says. ..every little helps. it is then an easy 200 miles to Eurodisney. Allow for four hours driving and take a break in one of the 'Aires' on the motorway.

Good information, and you can keep the price down. Travel Hull / Zeebrugge on Saturday or Sunday and caravans go free.

As the OP is travelling low season, consider a site taking Camping Cheques, as buying the Cheques from the Caravan Club at the same time as booking the ferry gives a further discount. Buy at least 7 Camping Cheques to get the deal. International de Jablines is close to EuroDisney.

My return crossing, Hull/Zeebrugge for this September, car, caravan, two adults and en suite cabin cost me £257 net. (Camping Cheques on top of this). No M1, M25 or Dartford crossings, just a leisurely drive to Hull and a pleasant crossing with a good night's sleep.

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

Camping Cheques themselves have just announced some ferry deals for 2015. Someone on another forum has just booked his ferry for 2015 - here's an extract from that post:

just booked a Portsmouth Caen ferry with 7 cheques for April/July 2015 - comparison prices:

Ferry price with Brittany Ferries themselves, £490

Ferry price from Camping Cheques, for the same Brittany Ferries crossing, without cheques £350

Ferry price from Camping Cheques, for the same Brittany Ferries crossing, including 7 Camping Cheques £322. 95

and those 7 cheques can be used to stay for seven nights on campsites, for two people, car and caravan, awning and electricity, on one of 600 sites in Europe (or a few in GB).

I don't know whether there are offers on the Hull Zeebrugge route, but it might be worth checking.

It's fast and easy from Calais to Paris. Noting however that you are from the land of coal and glass like me, my suggestion would be, leisurely start on day one, late teatime crossing to Calais, overnight stop. Leisurely start day two, steady amble to Paris.

It's about 260 miles from Barnsley to Dover, slightly less to the Channel Tunnel. Plus the clocks go forward one hour, so I think Barnsley to Paris in a day is a lot for a first time trip.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Like Russ, we're from the north, but the 'Land of Satanic mills' - and we always stay overnight on the French side of the Channel. That way you can be up and off early in the morning, and get to your site by lunchtime, which makes you feel like you've had a whole extra day in France and you're not so tired as if you'd tried to do the whole trip in one day!

Having said that, we did drive from home, via the Channel Tunnel, and down to Fontainebleau, south of Paris, for a short weekend, when I'd left my camera in a restaurant there! We got a free crossing, and company fuel, so it didn't really cost us anything!

Edited by ValA