Caravan Blowing The Left Indicator

hello people,

I have not long joined this forum, We are new to this caravanning, and are still learning. :unsure:

We had our first 2 week holiday, was fab and we loved it. We were out cleaning it today and doing a check on everything before we head off again next week.

Plugged it in to the car, no brake or indicator lights at the back. but the all the other lights were fine. so we replaced all the blubs. right now the brake lights are fine :) all the other lights are working fine. Apart from the indicator at the back. (fine at the side) They come on the right but then it blows, and the left one not coming on at all. we have gone through lots of bulbs to work this out :blush:

I have cleaned the black plug, car one should be fine as its brand new towbar. I also pulled out the little fuses, red, blue and 2 orange ones, they look fine not marks. would it be worth replacing these anyway ? im not even sure i put them back in the right order . ....

Its a old caravan swift corvette . ..

anyone know what i can do to fix this ? we want to do it ourselfs so if it happend again we would know what to do. thank you to anyone who replys xxx

Edited by steveandjay

. .. They come on the right but then it blows, and the left one not coming on at all. ..

When you say 'blows' do you mean the lamp blows? Are you sure? Can you see a broken filament?

Either way, it sounds like a bad connection (especially with the van being somewhat old). This could be anywhere but I'd start with the bulb holders. Are they clean of any corrosion?

Tony

Edited by TonyJover

In older vans water tends to collect in the light clusters as the seals start to fail, so as already stated check the electricals, make sure there's no water and then spray with WD 40 to remove any lingering moisture.

I had this one of the wires had broken off in the caravan plug but

made occasional contact. I remade all the connections, taking one

wire at a time. (a good clear phone photo helps just in case)

thank you :D for the replys . yes it blows the bulb if you mean the broken filament as in the little bit inside the bulb.

it definitely has some corrosion inside, but no rust . I can see how water would get in as the seal has corroded and we will need to replace it. i could not see water today but yes can see how moisture would get in as the seal is duffed .

so job now is sand the connection part for the indicators, spray with wd40 . and try again . will let you know how we get on tomor as we have no bulbs left to try today

the plug looks fine, and i have presumed it is working as the light does go on but just blows.

fingers crossed this works, thanks again for taking time to reply and help me x

Edited by steveandjay

thank you :D for the replys . yes it blows the bulb if you mean the broken filament as in the little bit inside the bulb.

it definitely has some corrosion inside, but no rust . I can see how water would get in as the seal has corroded and we will need to replace it. i could not see water today but yes can see how moisture would get in as the seal is duffed .

so job now is sand the connection part for the indicators, spray with wd40 . and try again . will let you know how we get on tomor as we have no bulbs left to try today

the plug looks fine, and i have presumed it is working as the light does go on but just blows.

fingers crossed this works, thanks again for taking time to reply and help me x

Check the voltage at the the fitment.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Bulbs blowing suggests that maybe they are 6 Volt bulbs. Anyone got an old motorcycle (1982-ish?)

From beyond the grave I can hear the ghostly voice of one of my old photometric colleagues shouting "Bulbs grow, lamps glow!"

Sorry Buzz!

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Check the voltage at the the fitment.

what do you mean check the voltage at the fitment ? :blush: xx

i bought 12 v bulbs, am i meant to buy 6 v ones :unsure: . ...sake . ...

Edited by steveandjay

You may have an issue whereby for whatever reason you are getting excessive voltage or surges to the fitting? I had this issue on my car (VW Touran) whereby the rear brake light bulbs kept blowing every week or so. After about 2 months I got a tad frustrated and took the whole fitting out and gave it a clean and used a little wet&dry on the contacts. I then smeared plenty of Contralube over the contacts and and exposed metal on the fitting and fitted some of those over priced Halfords 'quick react' bulbs. Never had another bulb blow in 3+years since this happened. I think it was moisture in the fitting and bad contacts.

Mahatma Gandhi

No, 12 Volt are what you should have.

Old motorcycles (and really old cars) had six volt electrics, I thought that maybe you had found some bulbs (lamps) and had used them. They look identical, other than what's written on them.

Some cheap Chinese imported bulbs don't last long at all, not fit for purpose. A motor factor mate of mine sells loads of them, with a 100% profit margin, he's happy to sell them! The trouble is that you don't know where the bulbs are made or how good the quality is, although I never had trouble when I bought them with the Lucas name on the packet.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

I think it was moisture in the fitting and bad contacts.

fingers crossed it is this and its easily fixed .

No, 12 Volt are what you should have.

thank you

Some cheap Chinese imported bulbs don't last long at all, not fit for purpose. A motor factor mate of mine sells loads of them, with a 100% profit margin, he's happy to sell them! The trouble is that you don't know where the bulbs are made or how good the quality is, although I never had trouble when I bought them with the Lucas name on the packet.

They were from the local garage but will definitely make a point of buying good quality bulbs . think a trip to halfords is called for x

what do you mean check the voltage at the fitment?

Forget that, it can only be 12V.

If the connection at the fitment is poor then the lamp will be getting an intermittent connection. This can cause them to blow.

If it isn't the fitment at fault then you have an intermittent connection elsewhere. Next most likely place will be the plug that connects to the car. Next after that will be a large connecting block at the other end of the fat cable from the car.

Tony

Can I suggest you buy a cheap multimeter? This will tell you exactly what the voltage is and save you a fortune in bulbs. Excess vibration is a killer too; one tail light bulb is always failing on my bike as presumably it gets just a little more shaking than the other one an inch above it that has never failed.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Hello, Thanks again for all the advice, it was much appreciated . Steve spent the morning sanding and wd40 the bulb holders and all lights lighting up and working as they should be. yeah ha !

will add a multimeter to our " we need to buy for the caravan list " :)

thanks for everyone that took time out to help . .. i am sure we will be back x

As someone else said, smear some Contralube or even Vaseline petroleum jelly over the contacts to protect them from moisture.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Land Rover is now back towing.

Hello, Thanks again for all the advice, it was much appreciated . Steve spent the morning sanding and wd40 the bulb holders and all lights lighting up and working as they should be. yeah ha !

will add a multimeter to our " we need to buy for the caravan list " :)

thanks for everyone that took time out to help . .. i am sure we will be back x

Get yerself some Contralube, vasaline or silicone grease to apply to the bulb holders, this will prevent further future corrosion. The WD40 helps for a while but it will not last long term.

Mahatma Gandhi