Sticking Impeller

swanny65

Just been getting the caravan ready for 3 weeks away. At Easter I turned up on site to find the pump in the Thetford 402C was not working. Called out a local mobile repair man who kindly showed me why it wasn't working - sticking impeller. .....

Pump fine on our next two trips away but on checking again today the impeller had stuck. Freed it with a screwdriver and refitted, not the easiest job with my fat hands!!!

Has anyone a solution to the problem. Can the pump be flushed / cleaned while in the tank.

I dont fancy having to do this repeatedly.

Thanks

Kia Carens 2. 0 GS CRDi / 2009 Compass Corona Club 556

Have you got any sediment in the tank? Try flushing it out.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Use hand hot water and white vinegar, its usually scale from hard water

although I did see one full of black algae looking stuff, that one took

hand hot water and soda crystals (also good for unblocking sinks)

I think it it is a cupful to three of water I use a plastic jug and arrived

at the quantities by putting someone elses pump in water and adding

vinegar until it fizzed. Nothing scientific :D

It was left until the water cooled.

And when it's cool enough put it on your chips!

Or maybe not ;)

It appears to be caused by rust on the impeller shaft that is caused by water ingress from somewhere!!! I have the same issue and I am currently experimenting with some possible longer term fixes. .. One of my theories is that water is running down the electrical supply wire and into the top of the pump. I am trying some WD-40 and lubricant into this area. If this does not work I will split the pump and work it out exactly.

If anybody has a faulty pump lying around that they do not want? I would love to have it for this purpose. At £35 a pop they are not cheap. In St-Ives, Cornwall for two weeks.

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I freed mine off a couple of times but it got to the stage where it was sticking between every trip. Got new one off e bay only 10 squid.

Vw Passat V6 4 Motion
2009 Compass Corona Club 544

I freed mine off a couple of times but it got to the stage where it was sticking between every trip. ......

Exactly the same here.

Changed the pump, eBay again, and the problem disappeared. :)

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

I have a C200, and I have had some problems with it flushing recently, at first I thought it was corrosion on the fuse terminals. A replacement fuse seemed to help but the problem came back shortly after. I then discovered I had severe corrosion in the electrical connection choc block. But how do you remove the pump?

Ford Mondeo Estate Titaniuim TDCi mk4 (16v 140 BHP) (2008)

Towing Elddis Odyssey 544 (2008) Truma mover S towing at 98%

My web site caravanlife. updated 28/5/2017

I have a C200. ....... But how do you remove the pump?

My version is the one with the blue soft button on the top, probably the same as yours as our vans are both 2008?

If so, the centre panel on top of the tank is held in place by a mastic type compound.

I just got a blunt knife and gently prised around the panel and it lifted off, the pump was held in place in the LH side of the tank with a small clip.

Hand inside the tank then just unclip the pump and lift it out.

The new pumps off eBay etc. come with the appropriate wire joiners and heat shrink.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em