Alko Chassis?

gravon42

I have read in Practical Caravan that Elddis are using Alko chassis instead of BPW. Is

this across the entire range?

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

They used Al-Ko chassis on the reintroduced Compass ranges last year (2014), so maybe Practical Caravan could be right?

David

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Hope not as I like the BPW chassis, think it tows much better than the AL-KO. It has already put me off buying another Compass.

Porsche Cayenne 4. 5 - Compass Rallye 636 2009 + IDC

Member of AAOCC

We have a 3 month old Avante 574 and it has the BPW chassis.

I think this van does tow better than my previous Swift Challenger 570.

Russ

We have a 3 month old Avante 574 and it has the BPW chassis.

I think this van does tow better than my previous Swift Challenger 570.

Russ

Russ,

With a Discovery 3 I doubt you would really notice a difference!!! ;)

Incidentally I have changed from a Avante 574 to a Coachman Vision 565 and I feel the Al-Ko chassis give a smoother tow.

David

Edited by Seaman

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Having towed with both Alko and BPW chassis, I prefer the BPW especially with the winterhoff stabiliser. Much easier to use than the Alko.

Yes certainly looks like Elddis have switched to Alko for everything apart from the new 8ft wide Buccaneer!

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

Does this mean new Elddis caravans won't get the option (free of charge on our 2013 Avante) of a generous weight plate upgrade?

Having had two previous Elddis vans I went for the Compass this time for the Alko chassis as I hated the noise from the BPW when towing.

I also ordered the free weight upgrade - no problem.

Has anyone read any info. from Elddis as to why they have changed chassis?

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Having had two previous Elddis vans I went for the Compass this time for the Alko chassis as I hated the noise from the BPW when towing.

I also ordered the free weight upgrade - no problem.

Thanks for the note about weight plate upgrade.

I haven't noticed any particular noise from our BPW chassis when towing, nor a difference from our previous caravan which was Alko.

Has anyone read any info. from Elddis as to why they have changed chassis?

I was wondering exactly the same Gravon.

Could it be that the BPW chassis was the problem with some vans cupboards/furniture coming away from the wall, in that it wasn't strong enough?

I thought it strange when Elddis brought the Compass range back on a Alko chassis after using BPW chassis for years. Perhaps they have discovered that the Alko chassis is stronger and more up to the task, especially as some posters are also experiencing creaking/flexing floors.

I think Elddis need to clarify this. They probably won't admit to a problem with the BPW chassis though.

Is the BPW chassis a contributor to the body panels cracking and the walls and furniture parting company?

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

Is the BPW chassis a contributor to the body panels cracking and the walls and furniture parting company?

Having had a cracked rear panel, that is an interesting question.

Mine had the most sensitive IDC I have ever had, even operating coming out of our storage site at less than 5mph and once in roadworks on the M25 at 50mph with a HGV close up behind me.

David

I have to constantly tighten the screw in bottom left of picture. I have even tried superglue,

and a longer screw. Nothing works! Can anyone explain the splits in the wood on the

right - it's not damp.

post-52060-0-59353100-1407858191_thumb.jpg

This gap seems to have got bigger since I bought the caravan.

post-52060-0-99498300-1407858236_thumb.jpg

Edited by gravon42

I prefer the way my Elddis tows on a BPW to the way my previous Lunar on an Alko towed to. Seems to be more stable and less jittery, also noticably less fore / aft pitching.

It's just the Compass brand on Alko isn't it? I thought I read somewhere that they were going to continue with BPW for the Elddis brand.

My understanding is Elddis on BPW and Compass on Alko via a different dealer network.

My understanding is Elddis on BPW and Compass on Alko via a different dealer network.

Interesting I heard that about separate dealers too, but was at our supplying dealer that weekend, and they had both brands side by side.

Interesting I heard that about separate dealers too, but was at our supplying dealer that weekend, and they had both brands side by side.

Funny how things change after the initial launch. .isn't it. :)