Thieves Pump Deadly Exhaust Fumes Into Caravan To Knock Out British Holiday Family

Seems the article has disappeared already!

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

It's in the Daily Mirror, so it must be true!! :lol::lol::rolleyes:

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Just found it here:

http://www. mirror. co. uk/news/uk-news/thieves-pump-deadly-exhaust-fumes-4023110

Via Qrobe http://qrobe. it/search/?q=Thieves+Pump+Deadly+Exhaust+Fumes+Into+Caravan&s=sbv2

Warning don't click on the in-cafe. EU link it's got a trojan on it!

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

If they were as reported tested for and confirmed as suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning by the local hospital, then either their vehicle, its systems or another caused that. If they also had items stolen, then it points reasonably convincingly to me that it is a true incident as self gassing and suffering theft at the same time is an unlikely coincidence.

I am surprised that the Royal College of Anaesthists say it would be impossible, a work colleague sadly did it to himself very effectively never to wake up.

No mention seems to be have been made in the local 'French' daily paper, which I am sure it would have if the family required hospitalisation and were 'almost killed'. The vast majority of MHs are owned by French so if it was a problem it would be highlighted all over the French press.

My first thoughts, I am not sure of the model of motorhome, I think a Swift Kontiki, but I have never seen one with 6 seatbelts, it must have been a squeeze to sleep 6 too. Is the concensus here it not happen as told.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

“We didn’t hear a thing and we are both light sleepers"

So why didn't they hear the engine running so close to their motorvan? And CO rises to the highest point in an enclosed space so it would take some time to fill the space down to bed height. And wouldn't six people need at least one roof vent open?

Maybe it was carbon monoxide. Maybe it was too many bevies!

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

My first thoughts, I am not sure of the model of motorhome, I think a Swift Kontiki, but I have never seen one with 6 seatbelts, it must have been a squeeze to sleep 6 too. Is the concensus here it not happen as told.

On one of the pictures you can see it's a Swift Kontiki 645 which seems, from classified ads, to be a five berth. I suppose the two youngsters probably squeezed into a single bed - we've probably all done that once!

It's hard to know what happened, and I doubt we ever will get the truth.

Given that CO from exhausts is a well known method (and very effective) of committing suicide, I am either very, very worried by this story or deeply skeptical. Why?

Robbery is one thing, but potentially murdering 6 people is a very serious thing. I am very doubtful whether the thieves would know the exact point at which to stop the gas. Even more doubtful when you consider that the older members could be potentially dead before the youngsters have passed out or that those sleeping in different parts of the van would be affected differently.

Would thieves really risk the above? They would be lucky to get away with it even once.

Oh dear.

I haven't even bothered to read the story. Carbon monoxide is a very efficient, silent killer. Its hallmark is its avidity for haemoglobin and the difficulty of removing it again. Thus oxygen can't bind properly for an extended period of time and so death ensues. The faster the metabolic rate, the quicker it acts. (It's a lot more complex than that, but you really don't want to be bored with intricate human physiology, so I hope you accept this for now) This is the reason canaries were taken down mines; they would die at levels that were harmless to humans and so when the canary croaked instead of singing, everyone left the mine. Thus, levels at which an adult becomes incapacitated will kill a child. You don't all fall asleep the same. Those who wake up have brain and heart damage and are never the same again.

This simply can't be true.

Edited by BFM

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

With high levels of CO enough to cause unconciousness, such as they were allegedly exposed to,death can often occur in minutes.

knarf

Is it too early to be asking why the journalists who printed this story haven't asked the questions posted above (and answered them).?

One interesting aspect of this story is that they all went to hospital and had blood tests, something I have never read about before!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

One interesting aspect of this story is that they all went to hospital and had blood tests, something I have never read about before!

David

Or so they said.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

I think, on reflection, this is perhaps yet another story like our neighbours, who took their caravan to Biarritz, came back and told us all about their great holiday, lovely campsite, fantastic weather, and all the cheap wine they brought home (which we shared with them). So I was very surprised to read a few months later, in the Caravan Club magazine, about them being gassed and robbed in a layby near Biarittz. Surprise, surprise, this involved two cameras, two laptops, their mobile phones, small change, and a very large amount of cash in euros which they were taking for a deposit on a house!!!

As you can imagine I thought 'something not right here, would you tell your friends what a great holiday you'd had if you'd been robbed'? I certainly wouldn't! So I wasn't surprised, this time, to read in the local paper another few months later that they'd been prosecuted and convicted of insurance fraud!

There are stories which ring true, because there are reports in the local press, but no amount of searching brings anything up about this incident, nor the earlier one which was reported near Marseille. It appears that the 'victims' go straight to the Daily Mail upon their return to England.

If it really happened, then I'm very sorry for this family, but like all these stories there are so many unanswered questions.

Here we go again. ...

1) Was the car that was used to pump fumes into the motorhome very old and without a catalytic converter?

2) Suitcases - on a motorhome holiday?

3) Six of them in a 24 foot Kontiki?

4) Gas oven? Gas boiler? Leaking CO fumes?

5) CO is denser than air and thus sinks to the floor where there is fixed ventilation. How did the CO fumes rise to the high level bed above the cab?

6) I give up. ...

A Kontiki 645 of that vintage would offer a double over the cab and a forward seating area that would male a 3/4 bed. The rear two singles could be just that or a very large double.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Apparently, this lot (6 large adults in a 24 foot caravan) lost designer clothes, large quantities of money, jewellery, mobile phones, etc. The vehicle has a northern Ireland registration. Nobody reports being sick or having a headache, two of the cardinal features of significant carbon monoxide exposure. However, if one or more was a smoker, they could have low concentrations of carbon monoxide in the blood stream. There are lots of reasons this cannot be significant CO poisoning. Incidentally, although the story even appears in today's Times, it has been pulled from the website.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Designer clothes yes. Arent all clothes designer :? Was my Primark T shirt not designed ? What about my Matalan trousers ? how did they come about, somebody somewhere must have designed them too surely. Favourite designer at the moment is Blue Harbour, funny name but then so are plenty of others.

Designer clothes yes. Arent all clothes designer :? Was my Primark T shirt not designed ? What about my Matalan trousers ? how did they come about, somebody somewhere must have designed them too surely. Favourite designer at the moment is Blue Harbour, funny name but then so are plenty of others.

Sorry, read that as Martian trousers, which would be pretty cool and had me jealous for a while.