Longest Trip Coming Up!

We are setting out tomorrow from Milton Keynes to Slatebarns Caravan Park near Edinburgh. It will be the longest trip we have done with the caravan in the 4 years we have owned one!

We will have to take a few breaks as it will be a long day once we set off. Just need to make sure we bring the iPod so we have plenty of tunes to listen to on the drive up!

Presumably you've planned your route, my choice would M1, M18, A1 ( a bit slow past Gateshead & Newcastle ) but once you hit Northumberland it's a very pleasant tow. Look out for the Angel of the north at Gatehead, & Lindesfarne island in the distance after you pass Alnwick. The views out to sea past Berwick are fantastic. Take your time, the journey is part of the holiday.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

The views Lesbunny describes were so good that when we went to Scotland earlier this year they enticed us to spend the last week of our holiday instead of in Scotland in Northumberland. Slatebarns, as I expect you know, is right next to the wonderful Roslyn chapel which was used in the Da Vinci Code film.

Edited by LongTimeCaravaner

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

We had planned doing M1, M6, A74(M) to Junction 15 and then the A701. Main reason for us being that there will be more service stations for breaks than the other routes.

Safe journey and enjoy, don't forget to stop every two hours for a stretch and some fresh air, get some Status Quo on the Ipod and have a blast.

Les

Les

That two hourly break is important, not just for a 'leak and a refill' and rest the eyes a bit, but long distance car travel can have the same effect as flying when it comes to DVT. Arriving home from a long trip in Europe a couple of years ago I was unwell and sent to hospital. It turned out to be nothing, but the first thing the consultant looked at, when I told him about our trip, was DVT,.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

The longest trip we've made is from somerset to Ardgarten on the banks of Loch Long, it was a long old haul but we had stops every few hours for a brew and stretch, we broke the journey up and stayed a night in the Lake District on the way up, but on the way down due to work commitments we done the whole journey in one lump, and that was hard going but as with all the advice already said, take your time and enjoy the journey

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

I do Bilbao/ Madrid and Madrid / Costa del Sol twice a year. Climate control I find is great to keep drowsiness away, mine is set at 18 c we have dual c/c so swmbo can have her warmer if she wishes. I find leaning forward a few times every so often when driving help to keep back ache away, stop when you think the time is right if it is less than two hours so what, I go for a walk when stopped have refreshments at the car standing up. I drink Aldi (six for £1. 59 ) stay awake caffeine drinks they do seem to help . Enjoy your journey and have a great holiday.

Edited by mellyboy

Hi

I'd be in the M1/M18/A1 club. Service areas every 15 or so miles on the M1, another on the M18, another at Ferrybridge (M1/m62), Wetherby, Leeming Bar and another near Newcastle. These are "proper services". There are also numerous other Little Chef type places etc on the A1

For fuel if you need it, stop at Morrisons Boroughbridge - the cheapest you'll get so near the A1. It's signposted from the Boroughbridge turn

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

another here for the M1/M18/A1 club :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

We had planned doing M1, M6, A74(M) to Junction 15 and then the A701. Main reason for us being that there will be more service stations for breaks than the other routes.

M6 past Brum etc. ...................... good luck :blush:

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Have we just been incredibly lucky as we have often passed Birmingham on the M6 and never had any trouble there? Different story on the junction of the A14/M6/M1 where they are doing alterations to the junction and had long delays there earlier this year.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

Hi

Done the journey a few times and I would stay on the M6 to Junc 13 Abington services then A702. Approaching Edinburgh cut across to A701 at Penicuik A766.

You can also carry on to the Edinburgh ring road and turn south onto A701

I've even stayed on the M6 and joined the M8 to Edinburgh, hardly any difference time wise

Hi

I'd be in the M1/M18/A1 club. Service areas every 15 or so miles on the M1, another on the M18, another at Ferrybridge (M1/m62), Wetherby, Leeming Bar and another near Newcastle. These are "proper services". There are also numerous other Little Chef type places etc on the A1

For fuel if you need it, stop at Morrisons Boroughbridge - the cheapest you'll get so near the A1. It's signposted from the Boroughbridge turn

Russ

Not so many Little Chefs, Skeeby and Seaton Burn now are the only ones remaining, the rest have gone.

Still wouldn't put me off going M1, M18, A1.

The A1 North of Newcastle up to Edinburgh can be a slow one if stuck behind slow moving traffic. M6, & M74 for me.

Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto - Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona