Pre-Paid Currency Cards - Fuel And Tolls - Don't!

Here's a link to the Caxton Pre-Paid Currency Card website, which explains that you should NOT use your pre-paid cards in automated fuel pumps and at toll booths, along with an explanation of the reasons for this. Scroll well down the page to find the information, but important reading for anyone who is planning to take such a card with them.

To be fair, it happens with all cards as described in the same paragraph

This procedure is not unique to Caxton FX cards, or indeed any prepaid card. All cards issued by any institution are treated in the same way whether they are debit, credit or prepaid cards.

Used mine in France many times without a hitch.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

:goodpost:

Good tip - I took a pre-paid card to France this year and used it all over the place for shopping / meals out etc without any issues but had never considered using it for tolls (got APRR) or fuel. Still, wouldn't have wanted to be embarrased none the less.

Edited by maplecottage

The same thing applies to any card when you use the card to register in a hotel when you check in. The hotel takes a reservation of say £200 on your card. No money is charged to your card but that sum of money is ring fenced so cannot be used anywhere else and the hotel has a call on that money when required. When you check out the hotel takes the actual amount and the reservation is, or should be, removed. Sometimes this may take some time. Its normally not a problem with a credit card as they usually have a high credit limit but if you are using a debit card and running close to your limit an uncleared reservation could give you problems.

Hence always best to use a credit card and not a debit card.

Brian

The card issued through Tesco bank, aka Travelex, is currently non-chip and pin, I'm told that new issue cards will be therefore will be able to be used at ALL automated machines.

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

We have used a FairFX card for a number of years the tolls are taken care of using a ATMB toll tag which is free to get up until the end of August and you pay for the tolls by card about a month later. We are aware of the security deposit on automated machines so make sure there is enough money on the card, to be fair the only time we have had to use the automated machines is if travelling back to the UK on a Sunday, the rest of the time we use it at manned booths and do not have any problems.

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

we have problem with our CurrenciesDirect Prepaid MasterCard at tolls and fuel stations.

it works ok in the kiosk, but not at the Pay-at-pump. use a tag for the mway tolls so no problem there.

We have used a FairFX card for a number of years the tolls are taken care of using a ATMB toll tag which is free to get up until the end of August and you pay for the tolls by card about a month later. We are aware of the security deposit on automated machines so make sure there is enough money on the card, to be fair the only time we have had to use the automated machines is if travelling back to the UK on a Sunday, the rest of the time we use it at manned booths and do not have any problems.

Using Fairfax we have had issues with Morrisons supermarket and also the ASDA automated fuel pumps. Quite embrassing. Morrisons takes the money but it does not go through for some reason and if you go to the cash machine you cannot draw the money because Morrisons have taken it. Very embarrassing. Luckily we had access to a card that allowed us to draw cash. Two days later Morrisons refunded the money they had taken!

Strangely enough no issues using the Fairfx card in South Africa and wife was able to hire a car with using the card.

The card issued through Tesco bank, aka Travelex, is currently non-chip and pin, I'm told that new issue cards will be therefore will be able to be used at ALL automated machines.

It may be possible to use it in automated machines but it remains a pre-paid card despite chip and pin which the FairFx card and other also have.

It's the fact that it is pre-loaded with a fixed amount that may cause problems when a pre-authorisation "locks" a certain cost that will not be available until the that amoun,t less the actual cost of goods or service, is released some days later.

For example, if a fuel pump pre-authorises €150 and only €70 of fuel is taken the balance of €80 remains locked and is not available for several days. A fuel pump usually shows the maximum number of litres it will dispense and multiplying it by the cost per litre will give the pre-auth amount that will be locked.

Pre-paid cards cannot be used in autoroute toll machines.

For example, if a fuel pump pre-authorises €150 and only €70 of fuel is taken the balance of €80 remains locked and is not available for several days.

That's not the case using a debit card in a French pump.

A little while ago, just before payday, I had just over 200€ in my account & bought 30€ of petrol & 70€ of diesel, one after each other & each was authorised for 159€.

It can happen in hotels though, on a trip to the USA, I stayed at a number of hotels which the company I was visiting paid for directly but I had to give my card over for 'incidentals' by the 6th or 7th hotel the card was declined even though I had spent nothing on it.

The difference between a master and a beginner

The master has failed more times than a beginner has ever tried.

That's not the case using a debit card in a French pump.

A little while ago, just before payday, I had just over 200€ in my account & bought 30€ of petrol & 70€ of diesel, one after each other & each was authorised for 159€.

It can happen in hotels though, on a trip to the USA, I stayed at a number of hotels which the company I was visiting paid for directly but I had to give my card over for 'incidentals' by the 6th or 7th hotel the card was declined even though I had spent nothing on it.

I was referring to pre-paid cards specifically.

Pre-authorisation by hotels and car hire is standard practice and can involve quite large sums beyond the actual cost involved. .

Edited by beejay

What would bug me is continually checking to see how the balance stands on a pre- paid card - fluctuating down and then up again from what you all say - then repeatedly topping up to keep enough credit in hand to cover what we might spend to have enough in hand to avoid the card being refused at some stage.

As others have said, we don't know why people bother with these troublesome cards. But they remain doggedly popular.

We go to Spain for a couple of months at a time and I find the fairfx prepaid card the cheapest way to get cash. I pay 1. 50(euro - phone keeps deleting the symbol!) to get cash put of a cash machine whereas my Visa card charged a lot more when I used it last.

So for the minute it takes me to top up is no problem.

I have a account sheet upon which I log what I have added and spent on the card so I always know how much is available.

It works well for me.

Russ

Edited by russ6363

What would bug me is continually checking to see how the balance stands on a pre- paid card - fluctuating down and then up again from what you all say - then repeatedly topping up to keep enough credit in hand to cover what we might spend to have enough in hand to avoid the card being refused at some stage.

As others have said, we don't know why people bother with these troublesome cards. But they remain doggedly popular.

The prepaid card offers you the same protection as a normal credit card, but without the associated debt.

The prepaid card offers you the same protection as a normal credit card, but without the associated debt.

Not quite!

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act isn't applicable to prepaid card transactions and in the event of a dispute you would need to use chargeback if the card provider participates.

knarf

Debt? I'd rather owe money to a credit card company - knowing that my home bank will pay it off at the end of the month, than hand over a thousand pounds or so to some firm who then owe me money till some time in the future when I go on holiday. I'm not too keen on them owing me.

Debt? I'd rather owe money to a credit card company - knowing that my home bank will pay it off at the end of the month, than hand over a thousand pounds or so to some firm who then owe me money till some time in the future when I go on holiday. I'm not too keen on them owing me.

Absolutely.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

:goodpost:

At least if your pre-paid card gets stolen, you do not lose much. We only top it up maximum £200 as we are not big spenders and as the only foreign country we visit is quite dangerous with a high crime rate it pays to have a card like this when out and about.

When funds get a bit low, we go Online and then top it up and the money is in the account within 2 - 3 hours. Why would any one want to load thousands of pounds into a pre-paid card when you can get interest on the money in another account? :D

At least if your pre-paid card gets stolen, you do not lose much. We only top it up maximum £200 as we are not big spenders and as the only foreign country we visit is quite dangerous with a high crime rate it pays to have a card like this when out and about.

When funds get a bit low, we go Online and then top it up and the money is in the account within 2 - 3 hours. Why would any one want to load thousands of pounds into a pre-paid card when you can get interest on the money in another account? :D

There is probably more risk in using the internet to top up than losing the balance on a pre-paid card.

A no fee credit card is the real answer ;)

At least if your pre-paid card gets stolen, you do not lose much.

You lose even less - ie nothing - if your credit card gets stolen - as long as you inform the card issuer.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2