Do I Rush To Change My Tyres Tomorow?

bob1982

Hi all. Cutting a long story short I have noticed my van tyres have a combined load rating of 974kg. My vans unladen weight is 850 kg. ... but the max permissable weight is 1060.

We are down to cornwall on Monday. Do I rush out and change them tomorrow or will it likely be ok but a to do job?

I am getting. mixed messages. My dealer says its ok as does a local tyre fitter. But a job to do at some point soon. Others (ones trying to sell me tyres) say to change them now.

Clearly this is not ideal and I will upgrade the tyres. But am I probably ok as long as I do not put much in the van to keep the weight down?

Incidentally the tyes are 2yrs old and I check them every trip and they are in good health. Also the speed rating is 118mph. ... clearly I wont be doing that.

thoughts?

Personally I would change them, I wouldn't like to risk putting almost 10% overload on them, nor the risk of being stopped and having points on my licence and a fine for defective tyres (unsuitable for use). Police would use MTPML and the load index to prosecute.

It's one gamble more than I would take.

Trevor.

I'd deffo change them, surely you're gonna be changing them soon anyway, so i'd do it now rather than after the long trek!!

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium Auto 2010 - Sterling Eccles Moonstone 2005 - Kampa Ace Air 300 2016

Whilst accepted wisdom would be to change them for a suitable overall load rating trying to do it in a rush means you have no time to look around for suitable alternatives, you are almost forced to take what is on offer locally which if you had more time you might make a different choice. If you can get what you want fitted tomorrow that's fine but if you have to compromised would it not be better to delay the holiday for a day or two? Not a nice position to be in.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Luckily there is a local tyre garage which has the size and type I am looking for so I guess its an early morning tow tomorrow.

Another question. .. do I need to keep a close eye on the fitters? Clearly they will know cars like the back of theor hand. ... but do they know caravans as well?

What should I be making sure they do or dont do when I pop down. I. e I assume I would unhitch before they try and jack ot up to avoid damage to the hitch?

Sure they know the drill. ... but what should I watch for if anything?

Make sure they use the official jack points and if they aren't sure, you should tell them before they start as a safety point. Also make sure the wheels are balanced before going on the van

And make sure they balance them, don't be fobbed off if they say they don't need to be.

My local tyre firm balance ever tyre they fit or repair

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Ive just read in the book that the corner steadies should be lowered for safety as well. ... does that sound right. Surely if I drop them and they jack up the van it would be putting undue pressure on the lowered steadies?

Make sure they ONLY jack it using the axle tube, on NO account jack on the chassis side rails.

They will probably be using trolley jacks which should present no problems in a tyre depot as the floor is smooth and level.

There is little chance of the van dropping if they do their job correctly.

Make sure they ONLY jack it using the axle tube, on NO account jack on the chassis side rails.

They will probably be using trolley jacks which should present no problems in a tyre depot as the floor is smooth and level.

There is little chance of the van dropping if they do their job correctly.

The Kojack caravan jack system uses brackets fixed to the chassis side rails.

knarf

Make sure they torque them correctly!

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Luckily there is a local tyre garage which has the size and type I am looking for so I guess its an early morning tow tomorrow.

Another question. .. do I need to keep a close eye on the fitters? Clearly they will know cars like the back of theor hand. ... but do they know caravans as well?

What should I be making sure they do or dont do when I pop down. I. e I assume I would unhitch before they try and jack ot up to avoid damage to the hitch?

Sure they know the drill. ... but what should I watch for if anything?

I wouldn't unhitch the caravan, they are very unstable even when steadies are down - these are steadies & not jacks & won't take the weight of the 'van, would probably damage the floor/chassis if it slipped. I'm sure handbooks say to leave attached.

Good point frommhairyspinner. They say when changing a wheel on the side of the road that you MUST leave the van attached

Ok. Will do.

Hmmm. The instruction book says to unhitch the van and lower the steadies. Im confused. ... do I follow the book?

I would not if that is what it says; the current and my "thinking" is the car should remain coupled to give the least chance of the van rolling off the jack.

There is a big difference between changing a tyre on the side of the road and in a tyre depot.

Apart from ensuring they jack correctly,,don't worry about it.

Over the last 15 years as an AWS I have removed hundreds of wheels using trolley jacks and never had a van fall off, and none were hitched to the car.

When I jack my van to turn the wheels whilst in storage I use a 3 ton trolley jack directly under the AL-KO jacking bracket - the jack has a thick rubber pad fitted in its saddle. I assume this is acceptable as opposed to jacking under the axle plate or axle tube, which is not that easy to reach ?

Land Rover is now back towing.

HI.

I also use a trolley jack on the alko jacking points when turning the wheels. They where put there by Alko to jack the caravan and will support the weight

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Hi all. Cutting a long story short I have noticed my van tyres have a combined load rating of 974kg. My vans unladen weight is 850 kg. ... but the max permissable weight is 1060.

Incidentally the tyes are 2yrs old and I check them every trip and they are in good health. Also the speed rating is 118mph. ... clearly I wont be doing that.

How did the 'van get incorrect tyres in the first place?

Thats the million dollar question. ... no idea. ... the van is second hand and we have had it several months but only just picked this up by chance. Very strange as they must have been put on at the same time. All sorted now though.

Change. The tyres should be rated the same or higher than the MTPLM

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

Have you checked any spare as well? If unused then this might just be correct for the weight if it is the original.

Swift Challenger 565 2016 and Ford Kuga Titanium X TDCi