Mardon Meridian 17/4 - Help Finding Details

BigOrangeMonkey

Hi All,

Firstly Hello everyone as I am new to the forum and to caravanning :)

We have just agreed the purchase of our first caravan which is on an old Mardon Meridian caravan. It is a 17/4 Twin Axle and believed to be a 1991 model.

It isn't the van we set out to look for but it is the one my wife fell for so we have taken a chance on it. It seems perfectly dry and well looked after, seemed in better fettle than most of the newer vans we looked at.

The trouble is I cannot find its maximum weight anywhere. We have a Citreon C4 Grand Picasso which has a GVW of 2308kg. If the vans max weight is more than 1192kg then my wife cant tow it due to her license (I can as I'm that little bit older :) ).

Any help on finding info on these vans would be great.

Its a twin axle, but even so my first job as soon as I pick it up is to change the tow hitch for a AKS 1300 rather than the old fashion hitch it has on it.

Looking forward to picking it up.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Rita,

I've already booked it in for new tyres the day I pick it up :) They looked ok but are all well over 10 years old. Thanks for the advice.

Steve.

From my memory, and I used to have a Marden Meridian 15/4 - I think that the 17/4 designation relates to 17cwt as a weight and 4 berth. If so this means it has a weight of about 865 kilos - but not sire whether this is an unladen weight or maximum weight.

I remember it as a very nice van.

David

David and Barbara

Landrover Discovery with Hobby 495

Thanks David.

Is there a standard formula for working out the upper weight from the empty weight? The trailer it is on has a maximum braking capacity of 1350kg if that helps.

Rita, I checked the Specifications page prior to posting, no Meridians are in the database. I've even contacted a chap selling old brochures to see if he had one covering it.

I have just booked my wife onto a free towing assessment session on Monday with a view of her doing the test. Probably easier than trying to find the information I need. And safer too :)

Cheers,

Steve.

"Meridian" could just mean its a dealers special

Our Avondale Dart is a "Godiva" as made with little extras for Raymond James Caravans Coventry

I've found a few others that sold for breaking with the same name, but none listed the weight :-/

I cant find any others that look the same but with a different name.

Here it is:

Mardon3_zps44e71f10.jpg

Mardon1_zps52476291.jpg

Mardon4_zpsc30ac0cd.jpg

Mardon2_zpsbcee2c31.jpg

Steve, I don't know if there was a standard formula. But checking other Mardens of a similar weight it seems that the maximum weight is 20cwt or thereabouts. Equivalent to 1016 kg. This seems about right logically,

David

David and Barbara

Landrover Discovery with Hobby 495

Thanks David, since we can't find any official documentation we have decided to upgrade my wife's license, best to be safe and legal.

Thanks Rita, we can't wait to pick it up.

I took down the fence along my driveway today and refitted it to give us an extra 3 inches of width, it's going to be a tight fit.