Detachable Towbars

Bovrilheid

Hi, how exactly do these things work? Obviously the clue is in the title, but how easy/difficult is it to actually detach the towbar and reattach? Is it a simple clip or do you need a special tool or have to be super strong to do this properly ?

Normally it's quite straightforward - just shove it in the receiver and hear a click or clunk to tell it's located OK. They are usually supplied with a key and if you can't lock it and remove the key it's not located properly.

Removal - usually a twist knob to unlatch it, after unlocking with the key.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Hi, how exactly do these things work? Obviously the clue is in the title, but how easy/difficult is it to actually detach the towbar and reattach? Is it a simple clip or do you need a special tool or have to be super strong to do this properly ?

No special tool required and you don't need to be super strong.

Just push them into their special sockets they normally go in with clunk. To remove you push in and twist a knob on the towbar and they dropout. Usually.

You may have to grovel under the car.

Poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Reckon the hardest part is replacing the plastic insert cover when towbar removed - you have to feel for it or grovel and either way is mucky!

Sam :beardy:

I've had 3. all were simple to use. one was a twist in model, where you initially inserted the tow ball upside down, then twisted up the right way to lock in place. last 2 have just been push in till you hear the clunk. Twist the handle on the side to pull it out. Simples.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

how easy/difficult is it to actually detach the towbar and reattach?

A week last Wednesday I was sitting in my van in the Lake District. I'd had ten days of beautiful weather, but for the last 36hours there'd been nothing but rain, and since I had to go home the next day, I was deciding whether or not to pack straight away. I sat watching my neighbour fitting his detachable tow hook. First he was down on one knee, but when he had no success, he got out a plastic sheet and laid full length under the tail end of his car. I thought how fortunate I was with my flanged towball.

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

http://westfalia-automotive. co. uk/detachable-towbars. html

this is what we have now and even I can do it.

we also have https://www. mobilitychoices. com/buy/mc008559/garden-kneeler

which also comes in handy for putting pegs into hardstands

A week last Wednesday I was sitting in my van in the Lake District. I'd had ten days of beautiful weather, but for the last 36hours there'd been nothing but rain, and since I had to go home the next day, I was deciding whether or not to pack straight away. I sat watching my neighbour fitting his detachable tow hook. First he was down on one knee, but when he had no success, he got out a plastic sheet and laid full length under the tail end of his car. I thought how fortunate I was with my flanged towball.

Made me smile as I used to do this myself with my Westfalia detachable to begin with. I always get down on one knee to attach it, mainly to find the keyhole, and as my knees and back deteriorate perhaps I'll end up lying down each time. But it's a simple task.

I think choice for many is about aesthetics. I've had both fixed and detachable and prefer detachable.

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

I've lost the little plastic cover that rather tenuously fits on the open end of the removable Witter towbar and including postage they want £12 for a replacements. Robbery!

I note that in the US they sell customised covers with all the usual stuff like Confederate flags and Indian headresses etc. Do you think we could do county and nation emblems or even caravan brand logoes in the UK?

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I can't help but feel there's something not right about detachable towbars, especially after reading this: http://landroverhell. com/article/4193/tow-bar-on-the-discovery-3

I'll stick with my flange towbar, aesthetics not high on my agenda when towing with a pickup truck.

I did have a removable towbar once, before owning a caravan, for towing a small box trailer. It was that much of a pain to attach and remove it ended up just being left on.

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

I have not found any problems with attaching/detaching the tow bar on my CR V (Bosal) just "arm" it, ie make sure the pin is fully retracted and just push in until it clicks in place, then lock it using the key. I always detach it when not needed as I have found the release wheel can become quite/very stiff to turn over a fairly short period of tome if the bar is left on when not needed.(why have a detachabble if you leave it in place all the time?) If it becomes too stiff to turn to release the bar you then have a non-detachable detachabel towe bar. They are more expensive than a fixed bar though

I can't help but feel there's something not right about detachable towbars, especially after reading this: http://landroverhell. com/article/4193/tow-bar-on-the-discovery-3

I'll stick with my flange towbar, aesthetics not high on my agenda when towing with a pickup truck.

I did have a removable towbar once, before owning a caravan, for towing a small box trailer. It was that much of a pain to attach and remove it ended up just being left on.

Fixed towbars, especially those with a drop plate, tend to plough up the landscape if you go off road.

Land Rover is now back towing.

With a fixed towball you can fit a bumper protector to um. ... Protect your bumper but you can't have one with a detachable type, and the gap between towball and bumper isn't much, so have to be carefully when hitching up, but I do prefer the detachable ones as you can take it off when not towing, looks better and I don't hit my shins.

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

Just had a detachable fitted and I thought the gap was very small too, will make sure hubby uses the mover to hitch up as I don't want to be responsible for not getting the "STOP NOW ! " instructions wrong! ;)

Just had a detachable fitted and I thought the gap was very small too, will make sure hubby uses the mover to hitch up as I don't want to be responsible for not getting the "STOP NOW ! " instructions wrong! ;)

That could be an expensive mistake on modern cars, more expensive that the cost of the mover probably.

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

I certainly won't be buying a detachable again, just been on tour both times I had problems getting it into the "slot" for some reason, so ended up on my knees to fit it, no problem getting it off.

I have had detachables on my Saab and now on the Merc. (Witter on both)

They are easy to fit though there is a knack to it, (if you do it wrong it can be a bu***r to fathom what you are doing wrong)

Aesthetically they cannot be beaten, and so long as the handle shows green and can be locked there is no problem.

I would not go back to a fixed bar.

Trevor.

Had my first detachable tow bar fitted Witter

First the detachable swan weighs several kilos it is a hefty bit of iron!

Provided you "Arm"the swan first by winding the locking knob clockwise against a strong spring then fitting only requires lying on th Tarmac grass mud or snow to fit the swan by driving it smartly into the socket

Removal is a harder job and I would say requires you to have average arm strength as you must "unlock"the swan knob by rotating it to free the swan-again requiring you to lie under the. Bumper

I am 67 and disabled the swan neck is at my strength/dexterity limit

If you have difficulty getting down and up plus lack upper body strength you could be wasting your money

In my case I will be getting another as I do not like that bit of rusty scrap sticking out the car posterior

Plus it drove my bumper sensors crazy

Had my first detachable tow bar fitted Witter

First the detachable swan weighs several kilos it is a hefty bit of iron!

Provided you "Arm"the swan first by winding the locking knob clockwise against a strong spring then fitting only requires lying on th Tarmac grass mud or snow to fit the swan by driving it smartly into the socket

Removal is a harder job and I would say requires you to have average arm strength as you must "unlock"the swan knob by rotating it to free the swan-again requiring you to lie under the. Bumper

I am 67 and disabled the swan neck is at my strength/dexterity limit

If you have difficulty getting down and up plus lack upper body strength you could be wasting your money

In my case I will be getting another as I do not like that bit of rusty scrap sticking out the car posterior

Plus it drove my bumper sensors crazy

I simply don't recognise this description. I'm on my second detachable towbar - the current one is a Witter. I simply bend down and plug it in, insert the key & lock it - little effort involved. Taking it off requires me to bend down again, insert the key, unlock it, twist the knob without much effort and lift out the detachable hook. The spring stays in the "armed" position. I've never had to lie under the bumper on this (or my previous car with a Brink) and I'll be 70 in October. I appreciate that a disability might make things more difficult, but fitting & removing the towbar is a lot easier than hooking up the caravan which you have to do whatever type of towbar you have. I've also found on my modern cars that the bumper simply bends if I get it wrong and springs back into shape when the pressure is released. I think you'd have to hit it quite hard to do any damage. Moderm bumpers are supposed to be able to cope with a 5 mph impact.

John M

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

For those that find inserting and removing a detachable towbar a bind, they may like to have a look at a retractable towbar instead. However, as far as I know, these are only available as a factory-fitted option. Some really expensive models even retract electrically.

I simply don't recognise this description. I'm on my second detachable towbar - the current one is a Witter. I simply bend down and plug it in, insert the key & lock it - little effort involved.

Don't think Ancell was, in any way, trying to diss the detachable and people have different disabiltities which affect them in different ways. I can usually do the same as you (but I can rarely put the plastic insert back without grovelling) but occasionally have to kneel down.

I would be interested to know how even the most dexterous can insert the plastic sealing plate without getting down on your knees.

If you can do that a promising circus career awaits :D .

My intention was to point out that if you have restricted movement and lack strength in your arms you are definitely going to struggle removing the swan neck.

This is not my opinion it is a fact.

Similarly getting the over run clip on the eye requires me to get down on the ground admittedly kneeling-but-I cannot rise unaided-so I must have a kneeling board to hand.

I am delighted that at 70 years of age you are in excellent health and fitness.

Last year an 86 year old Fraserburgh caravanner spun my caravan around into its bay without pausing for breath I put this down to him consuming the products of the pelagic UK fishing fleet based there.

He is a UK exception since most of us are spinning in our graves by then :)

Many readers-like me-have plenty of dosh to buy caravan movers and removable swan necks but if you are disabled to any great extent you must bear this in mind before parting with between £400 and £600.

Ah but if I only had a plastic sealing plate to call mine own. It went missing a few months back and Witter want £12 - yes 12 rip-off £s for a new one.

As to the overrun clip, the instructor at the CC handling course last month said don't use it but wrap it round and clip it back on itself.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I would be interested to know how even the most dexterous can insert the plastic sealing plate without getting down on your knees.

If you can do that a promising circus career awaits :D .

. ...reckon you need to read my post again m'lord!

21 Woops apologies I did in fact mean 19 :D .

Put it down to driving 250 miles from Birstal to Livingston today on flooded roads and pouring rain plus major jam up on junction 15 Manchester Ring.

Fortunately the usual half wits had the day off and were not undertaking head on into stationary traffic-well two of them did and held us all up!!

Hope no one was hurt I saw one car in the trees but it looked OK-least ways it was recognisable as a car.

Back on OP 19 seems to have misread my post-a bit.

The bumper on my new shape Picasso Grand needed cut so everything fits snuggly and when the 7 pin electric female plug is retracted there is no sign of any towing device--a very neat installation.

I mentioned the weight because-again-people with limited arm strength are going to struggle with it especially lowering it after unlocking the clamping knob by rotating it fully clockwise.

If you are foolish enough to get your hand underneath when it falls it will throb :) .

SDA The first thing I thought when I saw that plate was-well that will not last 3 years[my contract term]

I expect it to vanish before the winter.