New Knaus Caravisio Concept

Well this is a caravan to split opinions, the new Knaus Caravisio. It's a concept caravan designed to demonstrate the possibilities of a truly modern caravan.

Knaus Caravisio on show

In addition to the breathtaking design (which for me is somewhere between a brand new yacht and the new Star Trek franchise) it also shows off:

fingerprint entry system, fully-­‐controllable air suspension and a frosted smart glass dual-­‐paned sliding door all of which are controlled by a smartphone app.

The front and rear fore and aft are particularly striking and I can't help but wonder if the sleek shape will also help high-speed stability and efficiency.

Knaus Caravisio Front 3/4

Knaus Caraviso CGI rendering 2

So far we've only got a glimpse of the interior and with most concepts this may be the area that changes the most, but see what you think:

Knaus Caravisio interior

So what do you think, is it a revelation?
Would you like to see them make it?
And most significantly, would you buy one (if the price was right)?
Full press release as follows:

The UK’s national motorhome and caravan show will this year feature “The Caravan of the Future”, a stunning display utilising the Knaus Tabbert Caravisio prototype which makes its UK debut at the Motorhome & Caravan Show 2014.

The Show is the only UK event where visitors will be able to see the Caravisio up close as it takes centre
stage, as part of a feature area, in Hall 12 at the NEC from 14 – 19 October.

Caravisio is specifically designed to showcase how new concepts of design, and modern technology, can
be incorporated into touring caravans. Consequently it features many truly unique features, including a
fingerprint entry system, fully-­‐controllable air suspension and a frosted smart glass dual-­‐paned sliding door all of which are controlled by a smartphone app. Laptops and tablets can also be connected to operate the caravan's internal systems.

Caravisio has a new layout concept inspired by yacht design with the bed position allowing improved aerodynamics. Single beds in the front are arranged in V-­‐shape and can be turned into a large double bed by way of a mattress extension. Thanks to this innovation the front has a bullet shape, which has a positive effect on the air-­‐flow around the caravan meaning less air resistance during travel.

Caravisio features a bathroom located next to the "front cockpit" which features an intelligent water system controlled with a touch-­‐screen display. Also, the living area extends to an open rear door with adjoining veranda, designed like the rear of a yacht, with intelligent seating that can be easily converted from a comfortable lounge into a working environment.

Other features

• charging system for electric bikes, plus bike storage facility
  • movable rear sun roof
  • integrated rear spoiler
  • side skirts
  • self levelling system
  • a full-­‐HD projection system
  • air-­‐conditioning equipment

Caravisio took two years to develop and it is a truly unique tourer made using innovative construction techniques and packed full of new technology. Visitors to the Show can see it in Hall 12. Debuting in the UK,
Caravisio is not to be missed as it won’t be appearing anywhere else in the country this year.

Lowdhams is the main agent for Knaus in the UK, and will display the manufacturers’ 2015 range of motorhomes at the Show in October. Lowdhams is at stand 8. 20 in hall eight. The Motorhome & Caravan Show is organised by NCC Events, a wholly owned subsidiary of industry trade body the NCC.

The Show is supported by The Caravan Club and The Camping and Caravanning Club and is the only place to see what’s new for 2015 and inspire the perfect holiday. Tickets are on sale now, still at discounted
advance* prices of just £7 for seniors (60 + years) and £8 for adults. They and can be booked by going to www. motorhomeandcaravanshow. co. uk or calling 0844 338 7799.

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

Lovely monocoque construction to ease many of our modern van ills. I really hope that aspect survives.

But I sense it will never, and can never, be priced for the mass market.

Does it have a bed, or is it just a day van?

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

i think it will be as Ben said "if the price was right" but i think it will not be cheap .

Just the next step from the Hobby Landhaus . But we would surely need long length limits as i doubt they will be under 7m ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

i think it will be as Ben said "if the price was right" but i think it will not be cheap .

Just the next step from the Hobby Landhaus . But we would surely need long length limits as i doubt they will be under 7m ?

Dave

So what do you think would be a realistic price for mass-market, if it remained relatively unchanged (bar a few more realistic features)?

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

So what do you think would be a realistic price for mass-market, if it remained relatively unchanged (bar a few more realistic features)?

What happened with the Monopod 660 ? . .......not enough demand

Very futuristic but practical ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Very swish but I suspect in current form it must weigh many tons.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

All those posts and nobody has yet answered your questions

Yes

Yes

Yes

and It looks lovely.

I expect the designers thought it was far too cool to have some sort of canvas bag attached to it! Now if you'd like to design something that looked like moon base alpha or a mini Eden project they might go for it!

I love the idea of all that new technology.

But more importantly if manufacturers look at a completely different approach to the construction of caravans those of us who have experienced cracked panels, or those who have experienced water ingress, might, in the future, be much happier.

Edited by MillieDog

Hi,

Caravan makers would have a ball ------ look at all the things they could get wrong !

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

I expect the designers thought it was far too cool to have some sort of canvas bag attached to it! Now if you'd like to design something that looked like moon base alpha or a mini Eden project they might go for it!

My prototype so far: http://img4. wikia. nocookie. net/__cb20081001131344/starwars/images/a/a9/DeathStarIDiagram-EGVV. jpg

Obviously the wheels are still to be added. If you look in the middle you'll find the awning rail that was conveniently added to the Death Sta. ...caravan.

And what's not cool about a canvas bag?! It's futuristic! Had a few comments about our awnings from caravan manufacturers at the last NEC. :)

Edited by Kampa Max

Where does the outboard motor fit?? :)

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

For what it is, a concept at a show, its pretty stunning so yes it ticks all the boxes from that aspect for me

In answer to your Q's Ben - yes, yes and yes from me too!

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

I think this was first featured on the caravan channel some time ago Ben.

A revelation. ............. Yes

Put into production. .............. possibly

Would I buy one. ................ not only about price, but I also suspect it weighs a couple of tons, so the market would be restricted to owners of big tugs.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Just me or does it look like a cross-between "The Stig"'s helmet and a dodgem car?

I'm not at all impressed by all the interior systems - if you want this stuff you can have it now. I've never understood who would want leather seats in a caravan either. I'm also not all that taken with the looks.

However, if it is a genuine improvement in construction methods and can be priced and weighted realistically then it's got to be good.

Aesthetically stunning design, but I fear would probably turn out to be totally impractical for the majority of us! I'm sure the price would finish up making an Airstream look cheap.

When we were in Holland in June saw a couple of the latest Tabberts and Hobbys which certainly looked extremely sleek.

We contemplated a Knaus EuroStar 500 FU before buying our Hobby 560 CFe. . (Both Very similar looking and layouts)

The €37,490 Base price (plus Battery & 12v kit + Oven + Mover + AC + Elec Heating etc. etc.) really put us off! - It hit £40,000 by the time the cushions were flame-retarded etc!

Al.

Al.

Obviously designed by a boat builder. :)

Very appropriate with all the damp problems that modern caravans already have. Perhaps it's time a boat designer got involved? . .....Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Very appropriate with all the damp problems that modern caravans already have. Perhaps it's time a boat designer got involved? . .....Peter

Bilge pumps in our caravans?

Looks fantastic and yes I would like to see it reach production albeit with a limited market as the price would probably be sky high.

Its time caravans were more futuristic in their design and not just oblong boxes.

Maybe a cheaper version without the rear deck for example would suit the masses.

I'll look forward to seeing it in about five years time !!

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake.