Weather To Awning Or Not!

grandadrob

Leaving caravan at New Forest this weekend for daughter and grandchildren to holiday in. Problem being they have no ideas on caravanning or awnings, the forecast is wind gusting to 48 mph on sunday morning as it stands at the moment! I'm not sure they could take the awning down let alone re-erect it! I will be about 3 hours away so not really any good. Being 3 boisterous boys they will need the awning to contain them! Any helpful suggestions welcomed.

You can always get a storm strap to put over the awning, we bought one when we went to Scotland and experienced some nasty windy weather but awning was fine.

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

You can always get a storm strap to put over the awning, we bought one when we went to Scotland and experienced some nasty windy weather but awning was fine.

Eeee - you're a rum fella, F185

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

Only the best stuff though Pete

Yeah, noticed that - I've only just registered you avatar

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

thanks for all advice,I have two storm straps to anchor each front, dorema awning, hoping this will be ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to one and all, I am a novice at this caravanning so off we went to Lakeside my two girls and my self nice site level pitch all services had a go at putting awning up but decided against too windy (bloody Bertha) but after two days it calmed so up went the Awning with help from a guy from Doncaster Ron by name very helpful we would not have done it without him Thanks. So we are leaving Sunday 17 August it is very windy gusts up to 50mph I am told anyhow my wife and I were tidying ready for the off when crack I look outside the roof poles were bouncing and the awning roof was blowing up just like a balloon lets get it down now I say, so windows out then disaster the wind got hold of the awning pulled the side pole from its mooring on the van and the awning is away, luckily for us Ron and a guy called Fred and some other people appeared and quickly helped us get things under control without that help we would have been in big trouble. I am not sure if I did the right thing trying to get it down so comments please. Lastly I would like to say a very big THANK YOU to the people who helped us to control our demise Thanks

Just a note to add to story we do have a tie down kit and it was doing OK until the side pole went .

There are other things you can do to stop the awning ballooning,

Fitting the draught skirt and pegging it out helps stop the wind

gusting under the caravan and lifting the awning which in turn,

lets the pole legs go like a giraffe on ice.

The second way is to use internal guys, across the front corners

diagonally, and again from each front corner to the rear to stop

the legs lifting. Simples, eh!

If I were expecting 50 mph gusts I would have taken the awning down the night before they were due. ...... ;)

I certainly wouldn't erect it if 48mph gusts are forecast especially if leaving it to a non caravanning family. I'm sure they will manage without one.

Better safe than sorry.

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

We watched two awnings and a roll-up shelter go for a burton last weekend.

One pulled out of the awning rail and flapped about on it's poles. The owner then refitted it and it did the same again so he gave up. The second looked like a pole had snapped.

The roll up awning was on a motorhome and it flapped all over the place blowing out the side screens and support poles. I though he was being a bit optimistic when he put it up - fortunately it happened when he was there so managed to minimise any damage.

Personally if I wasn't there to supervise or was totally confident of the stability then I wouldn't erect it. I certainly wouldn't try putting it up or taking it down in very gusty conditions - poles can do lots of damage to the sides of a caravan.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

If I were expecting 50 mph gusts I would have taken the awning down the night before they were due. ...... ;)

I certainly wouldn't erect it if 48mph gusts are forecast especially if leaving it to a non caravanning family. I'm sure they will manage without one.

Better safe than sorry.

That's always possible if the awning is not required as an extension for sleeping in. There are always folk around to help.

We had the awning set up at Trewethett Farm, we went for a walk into Boscastle, a very pleasant walk it was too, nice and sunny with a light breeze, whilst having lunch in The Wellington (lovely pub) we noticed that the wind had got up, nice and sheltered is Boscastle, we decided we better head back, when we got to the seafront the wind was horrendous, back to the village, ordered taxi and were back on site 10 min later, storm strap. ... snapped. ... poles were just about holding out. Packed contents of awning into wherever it'd go then stood back scratching head wondering which was the best way to take it down, suddenly surrounded by 4 blokes (started to rain too) and the awning was bundled into the back of the car within 3-4 minutes. 3 tins of beer lighter but couldn't have done it without them

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A DECENT STORM STRAP. Our mid range one gave up

If you NEED the awning up, put it up, if you don't DONT.