Thetford Fridge Rm212 Not Getting Cold But Is Powered Etc

Hey guys

My RM212 fridge has stopped getting cold even though the gas, mains and 12v is there.

Any ideas before I rip it out and replace it?

Take a look at the PCB. We had a similar problem with the fridge in our previous van so we took the PCB out and part of it was burnt out. Bought a new one on e-bay, fitted it and solved the problem. It was a bit of a nightmare pulling the fridge far enough out of its housing to get to the board but removing and fitting the new board was easy and the fridge just slid back into place.

The RM212 does not have a PCB.

Also with a model number starting with RM, it is not a Thetford fridge but is a Dometic (or in the case of the age of the 212 Electrolux)

Edited by Brecon

When you say gas is there, do you mean there is a flame or is the thermocouple, sensing ignition and keeping the gas flow open.

Does the fridge work on 240v, if so then it's not a refrigerant problem.

Check the pilot flame is hitting the thermocouple, if it is then is the thermocouple ok.

To be safe you are better off having a qualified person working on the gas side of things,

It could be a cheap repair rather than just being gung ho and replacing the lot.

When you say gas is there, do you mean there is a flame or is the thermocouple, sensing ignition and keeping the gas flow open.

Does the fridge work on 240v, if so then it's not a refrigerant problem.

Check the pilot flame is hitting the thermocouple, if it is then is the thermocouple ok.

To be safe you are better off having a qualified person working on the gas side of things,

It could be a cheap repair rather than just being gung ho and replacing the lot.

The gas lights easily and seems to have no problem, the 12v is there and I've not tested the mains but it was working a week ago.

The fridge just doesn't get cold no matter if I use gas, 12v or mains.

I'm going to open the inspection vent and see if I can test the voltage again.

Also this is an Electrolux fridge :) 1992 ish

The gas lights easily and seems to have no problem, the 12v is there and I've not tested the mains but it was working a week ago.

The fridge just doesn't get cold no matter if I use gas, 12v or mains.

I'm going to open the inspection vent and see if I can test the voltage again.

Also this is an Electrolux fridge :) 1992 ish

If gas, electric and 12v all work the problem is possibly a defective cooling unit. If you have a strong smell of ammonia the cooling unit is leaking/defective and if not the coolant is possibly not circulating properly. If circulation is the fault try leaving the fridge switched on using gas for a day which may get the coolant circulating again, otherwise removing the fridge and turning it end over end a few times can sort the problem. You can also try pulling the caravan along a bumpy road and then switch it on using gas which is the most efficient energy form.

It may need re-gassing, also as said in the post above, take the fridge out and turn it upside down and leave it for a day or two and then refit it and try it again. it sound a bit mad but it can work. It is worth a try before you replace it, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Edited by Digger_07