New Emergency Bikers

N&L

Just watching the above program at the moment and the Essex Cops are checking and stopping caravans not using extendable mirrors and checking licence category's , about time this happened more often as there seem to be a growing number of caravanners who seem to think they don't need them

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

Yes totally agree Foghorn Leghorn. We all know that if the van is wider than the car, which let's be honest most of them are, then you need towing mirrors end of. Although some driver's of certain 4X4's seem to think they're immune.

Did you see the size of that Fiat van and he still needed extended mirrors. So makes me wonder about those Range Rover drivers that say they don't need them. ;)

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

doosan, it was the Range Rover driver's I was hinting at in my post above. Get ready for the flack coming our way from the RR fraternity. :ph34r:

doosan, it was the Range Rover driver's I was hinting at in my post above. Get ready for the flack coming our way from the RR fraternity. :ph34r:

Yes you right but they can't argue about the law. That police officer said all motors should have extendable mirrors.

But someone will say I don't need them because of this and that.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

. ..it was the Range Rover driver's I was hinting at in my post above. Get ready for the flack coming our way from the RR fraternity. :ph34r:

I used to tow with a Disco, and extension mirrors were definitely essential on that when towing our Avondale, to have a rear view that complied with the requirement of the law.

My Disco was 70. 6 inches (1. 79 mtrs) wide, and a Range Rover is 70 inches (1. 778 mtrs) wide, I can't therefore see why a Range Rover would not require extension mirrors.

There are two instances when I tow without extension mirrors. The first is when I have a small open trailer on the back, as it is both lower than the rear window of the car, and narrower than the bodywork of the car, so I have a clear view behind in all standard mirrors. The second is when I am trailing my boat. In this instance, while I have a restricted view via the interior mirror, because it is narrower than the car I do have a clear view to the rear of the boat in the two side mirrors.

Gordon.

Mirror - Correctly adjusted towing mirror.jpg Towing_Mirror_Setup_1A.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

The alternative to fitting extension mirrors is to constantly weave like the old 'tail end charlie' in battle of britain days to give yourself a view to the rear eliminating blind spots. ..only thing is it has the tendancy to upset the passengers, so its mirrors every time for me!

:lol:

Edited by reluctant

Trevor.

Just returned from a trip to Cornwall, I would say at least 50% of the caravans I saw being towed did not have extended mirrors on the tow cars, in particular the 4x4' who I presume think they are immune.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

We tow with a RR Sport and use wing mirrors. You cannot met the requirements of the law without them, so any RR driver or any car driver who gets pulled over because they could not see what was behind them deserves all they receive from the courts. Its just not worth not fitting them and adjusting them so that they cover both sides of the caravan.

I give up! - I pointed out to a guy at a campsite that he should have them on his Kia and his reply was "It's OK, I'm a Class1 lorry driver so I know what I'm doing". God help us.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

We all know that class I lorry drivers are the best drivers in the world so they know what they are talking about. . NOT. ....Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Completely agree with all of the above. As someone who has ridden motorbikes until recently there are very good reasons for having these fitted, the simple fact is is that without them you just don't have the field of vision to see behind you. This link explains the legislation in very simple terms and is easy to check with a tape measure! http://www. caravanwise. co. uk/caravan-tips/towing-mirrors. html

Bailey Pageant provence & Nissan X-Trail

Im a class one driver with over 40 years of vanning, trucking and bus driving and I allways use extended mirrors, sorry peter but cant agree with you lumping us all together in your statement but we all are entitled to our own opinions.

2016 Lunar Quasar 554, tugged by Honda CR-V.

We all know that class I lorry drivers are the best drivers in the world so they know what they are talking about. . NOT. ....Peter

A very sweeping statement I think :angry: :angry:

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

Im a class one driver with over 40 years of vanning, trucking and bus driving and I allways use extended mirrors, sorry peter but cant agree with you lumping us all together in your statement but we all are entitled to our own opinions.

I always find most lorry/coach driver's to be very courteous, and will flash their lights for you to pull back over after overtaking them. It doesn't happen often with coaches though as they are usually limited to 62mph, so it's usually me flashing them to pull back in.

There are exceptions though and I am noticing it more and more lately, driver's of Tesco articulated lorries never flash to let you know if you are clear. I know I'm clear though because my extended mirrors are adjusted correctly. :P

Take a look next time you're towing to see if I'm right. Or is it just me :unsure:

There are exceptions though and I am noticing it more and more lately, driver's of Tesco articulated lorries never flash to let you know if you are clear. I know I'm clear though because my extended mirrors are adjusted correctly. :P

Strictly speaking, flashing headlights has the same meaning in law, as sounding the horn - ie a warning. So maybe the Tesco drivers have been instructed NOT to use them in the generally accepted way.

Just a thought.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Strictly speaking, flashing headlights has the same meaning in law, as sounding the horn - ie a warning. So maybe the Tesco drivers have been instructed NOT to use them in the generally accepted way.

Just a thought.

Gordon.

I would agree with you there Gordon, if I hadn't witnessed them Flashing headlights to other lorries.

I used to tow with a Disco, and extension mirrors were definitely essential on that when towing our Avondale, to have a rear view that complied with the requirement of the law.

My Disco was 70. 6 inches (1. 79 mtrs) wide, and a Range Rover is 70 inches (1. 778 mtrs) wide, I can't therefore see why a Range Rover would not require extension mirrors.

There are two instances when I tow without extension mirrors. The first is when I have a small open trailer on the back, as it is both lower than the rear window of the car, and narrower than the bodywork of the car, so I have a clear view behind in all standard mirrors. The second is when I am trailing my boat. In this instance, while I have a restricted view via the interior mirror, because it is narrower than the car I do have a clear view to the rear of the boat in the two side mirrors.

Gordon.

attachicon.gifMirror - Correctly adjusted towing mirror. jpg attachicon.gifTowing_Mirror_Setup_1A. jpg

And

It would be illegal to have extended mirrors. In both cases

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

We tow with a RR Sport and use wing mirrors. You cannot met the requirements of the law without them, so any RR driver or any car driver who gets pulled over because they could not see what was behind them deserves all they receive from the courts. Its just not worth not fitting them and adjusting them so that they cover both sides of the caravan.

As far as I am aware the driver's side external mirror must be adjustable from the driver's position. Pardon my ignorance but how are you able to adjust wing mirrors from the drivers seat ?

As far as I am aware the driver's side external mirror must be adjustable from the driver's position. Pardon my ignorance but how are you able to adjust wing mirrors from the drivers seat ?

I don't believe the law makes any statement about additional mirrors being adjustable. You would still need to be able to adjust the driver's (existing) mirror, though, which can be difficult if the add-on mirror affects the movement of the glass in its housing, as it did in my VW T4. "Suck it and see" mirrors, I imagine, replace the existing reflective area for the purposes of the law.

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

I don't believe the law makes any statement about additional mirrors being adjustable. You would still need to be able to adjust the driver's (existing) mirror, though, which can be difficult if the add-on mirror affects the movement of the glass in its housing, as it did in my VW T4. "Suck it and see" mirrors, I imagine, replace the existing reflective area for the purposes of the law.

I understood and have recently read that the reason why towing mirrors are no longer fitted to the vehicle wings on the driver's side is because they no longer conform with the requirement that mirrors fitted to the driver's side must be adjustable from the driving position.

I would expect, but do not know for certain, that the law would state that mirrors fitted to the driver's side must be adjustable from the driving position. That would cover additional mirrors, whether or not they are temporary.

Sorry for my earlier sweeping statement re: Class 1 drivers. I was in fact alluding to those who do not behave like knights of the road and seem to think that caravanners are fair game. Praise to those among us who do behave properly. .......Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Quite easily. Not when moving though! It's only inches from the actual car mirror, it's not that long since you had to manually adjust mirrors by pressure to the mirror or glass itself.

Quite easily. Not when moving though! It's only inches from the actual car mirror, it's not that long since you had to manually adjust mirrors by pressure to the mirror or glass itself.

Apologies. I didn't know that the vehicle wing was so close to the driver's door as to permit adjustment from the driver's position. Any wing mirror attached to my Passat would not be adjustable without the driver getting out of the vehicle.

There must still be driver's door mirrors which have to adjusted manually by the driver.