Should I Buy?

Iwantacaravan

Hi we have been offered a caravan that has a small bulge on the side. Have been told this is due to the sun causing delamination and there is absolutely no damp present. Should I be put off buying because of this please?

Just how does the sun cause delamination?

I know damp ingress will do so, so if I were you I would get an expert to have a look.

You may just wind up with a white elephant and no-one knows what you will find there.

Unless it is free, I would be tempted to say no. .....Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

What make of van have you been offered?

I would be sceptical of any sales pitch regarding defects.

Arrange for an Independant inspection prior to purchase, buyer beware but good luck!!

Delamination by the sun is caused by the heat softening the glue inside the panel, then the panel pulling away from the frame, it can be repaired.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

This is what the seller told me. ..

"We have just had the "Caravan Medic" round to see the bulge on the van. He has checked the van, inside and out, and can find no damp or damage apart from the bump. He agrees with Swift that it is not detrimental just cosmetic.

Swift asked for a photograph to be sent, which I have done, they say it looks like sun damage which they have seen a fair bit of this year. The panel has got hot and the glue attaching the outer skin has released in this area allowing the metal to stretch slightly.

It can be repaired but the cost would be prohibitive and as it is only cosmetic they advise leaving well alone. If repaired then it could happen again in similar circumstances."

This will be our first caravan, we don't have loads of money and are terrified of buying something and finding out later it has issues, I like to think that people are honest but I do t want to get ripped off as we will be paying for it for several years!! Thanks for all your replies so far : )

If it is loadsa money I would probably walk away. No idea on model, age or cost however.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Hi I have seen this before the sun softens the adhesive the aluminium expands creating the delamination and the bulge in the wall if this is the case it is purely a cosmetic issue

Sandy

Tell us all what van and how much. ...

I always work on the theory of, If you have any doubts walk away. There are other Caravans out there without bulges.

Presume its a private purchase . . It really is your choice if you are happy with what you have been told . .

Also have you a car man enough to tow it

Hi Rita

Yes it is.

Our car is ok for towing it, we've checked the weights.

I'm really excited about getting a caravan and it's easy to get carried away and just buy!

I always like to take people at face value but I'm completely new to caravans and concerned that my lack of knowledge will leave me vulnerable! Hence trying to get some advice from all you experts : )

Lots of caravans around for that money so you can afford to be choosy. If you're not 100% sure walk away! otherwise it will always worry you. Worst case it gets worse and needs an expensive repair, you don't want to go there.

You do right to question. several years ago I was caught out I bought a caravan from someone who assured me it was ok, at the time I was new to caravanning, I paid £2,500 for it and after 2years went to trade it in and was offered £50, because of the damp, they said it was virtually worthless. I was caught out also because I didn't know to have it serviced annually. My last two vans have been good buys and have been serviced yearly.

Hi zen

Were your caravans from private sales or dealers? Were there no signs of damp when you bought it? I expect damp can be covered up by unscrupulous sellers? What is the cost of a service? Any idea on how much it costs for someone to check out a van out before committing to buy? : )

Also should I join a caravan club? What benefits do you get from it and is it expensive? Many thanks : )

Lots of caravans around for that money so you can afford to be choosy. If you're not 100% sure walk away! otherwise it will always worry you. Worst case it gets worse and needs an expensive repair, you don't want to go there.

+1

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

As I see it, you have 2 choices. You are dithering and unsure so. .Either get an independent engineer to check it for you which will give you the facts, good or bad. it will cost money but if the van is a lemon it'll be the best money you ever spent to walk away. Or alternately go see the caravan medic who first diagnosed the fault and see what he has to say. ..bearing in mind his loyalties lie with someone else! Don't take anyone's word for anything find out for yourself. Bear in mind there is bound to be something as the van is 14 years old, the point is that the basics need to be right as in no damp, services up to date if only to reassure you about the gas.

There's plenty of vans out there for that sort of money, you can be picky

This is what the seller told me. ..

"We have just had the "Caravan Medic" round to see the bulge on the van. He has checked the van, inside and out, and can find no damp or damage apart from the bump. He agrees with Swift that it is not detrimental just cosmetic.

Swift asked for a photograph to be sent, which I have done, they say it looks like sun damage which they have seen a fair bit of this year. The panel has got hot and the glue attaching the outer skin has released in this area allowing the metal to stretch slightly.

It can be repaired but the cost would be prohibitive and as it is only cosmetic they advise leaving well alone. If repaired then it could happen again in similar circumstances."

This will be our first caravan, we don't have loads of money and are terrified of buying something and finding out later it has issues, I like to think that people are honest but I do t want to get ripped off as we will be paying for it for several years!! Thanks for all your replies so far : )

A caravan is designed to be outdoors 24/7 365 days a year and many people use caravans in Spain in the hot sun on seasonal sites so stating that the sun in the UK affects caravans is a bit strange. What year is the caravan? If it is doing this now imagine what it would be like in a few years time if we have more hot weather?

If it is bulging then there maybe an issue with its build quality which is why the seller is selling it privately as the trade in value is probably very low. If you buy and then try and trade it in, you may get offered peanuts due to the bulge. If you try and sell privately, you may have difficulty shifting it. Look elsewhere, but ultimately it is your choice and we can only offer advice.

Thanks so much for all the advice, I agree with the fact about Spain. I'm not in a hurry but once you've got the bug. . I think I will carry on looking as we would have to travel about 3 hours to get to look at it! The thing is caravans seem cheaper in other parts of the country to ours!

That's always the way. Big purchases like this are never local!

In the classifieds Tab on the second menu bar at the top of this page

Update: should be collecting our first caravan - an Abbey Vogue 417 gts 2003 on Saturday, subject to a check over by a "man that can!" And this one doesn't have a bulge on the side, so hopefully everything's ok. : )

At last someone who asks for advice and listens. The combined experience on this forum is invaluable and though sometimes we do not all agree, still there is wisdom between us. ......Petr

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.