How Long To Fit A Towbar?

mayblossom

Having our towbar fitted today by a very grumpy man! It's a Witter detachable and the guy hates caravans. . bless him . Been doing it since 12 ish and still nowhere near finished :( For £700 I'd expect a few smiles ;)

Mine took 4 hrs but that was due to monsoon rain and wind and he had to keep taking cover!

Mine took 2 hours - Fixed Flange Witter bar with twin sockets £460.

Edited by springtime

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

Coming up to that now :( no excuse for rain, too much sun, winds etc as he's undercover ! Cups of tea and coffee available, might get a biscuit if he smiles! ;)

Getting worried that it won't be right if it's taking so long :( 2 hours sounds pretty good :)

Having our towbar fitted today by a very grumpy man! It's a Witter detachable and the guy hates caravans. . bless him . Been doing it since 12 ish and still nowhere near finished :( For £700 I'd expect a few smiles ;)

For £700 I'd expect a gold plated tow ball. Ok I haven't had a tow bar fitted for a couple of years but we had our detachable witter supplied & fitted for £415 - that was in 09. Bloke who did it even smiled a few times!! Took him about 2 hours.

Edited by Woodie106

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

We thought it was very expensive Woodie but the cost came from the dedicated wiring thingy ( technical term ;) )

Had a witter detachable and dedicated wiring harness fitted to my Merc £500 took 2 hours.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Now you're worrying me Phil :( caravan in storage 140 miles away so won't be able to check if it works :(

He should have a testing rig with him, make sure he plugs it in and checks all the lights etc.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Also make sure he demonstrates to you how to attach the bar and unattach it, it is a little tricky if you don't know how.

Phil.

£700 does sound a lot on a Skoda Superb ? Suppose it would depend on any bumper cutting and how much needs removing .

how much does Witter website quote ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Not sure Dave, will have a look. Hubby said really easy to fit towbar as everything in place to do it, it's the wiring that's causing problems we think, scared to ask if he's anywhere near finished in case he throws down his tools and does a runner!!! ;)

We did get some cheaper quotes but we thought no, get a professional to do it and make sure it's all done properly :(

Over 4 and a half hours now, he might need a bed for the night at this rate!!

Finished yet??

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Mine took 3 hours and £235.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Not finished Easy T :( Over 5 hours now :( not happy at all, hubby just gone to check. ...hope he doesn't get a screwdriver thrown at him!!

The light test is not the bit I would focus on. Those bits are:

Does it power the fridge

charge the battery

power the ATC

Sort out the rear parking sensors whilst coupled and reset them afterwards.

I have known a lot fail those!

And is the battery charge/ATC system fused and sized at 20 Amps?

Edited by JTQ

Skoda quoted me nearly 1000 pounds to fit an offical detachable towbar to a superb. When I told em where to go they knocked 300 off.

Clearly I went to an independent and paid 350 pounds and thus far works a treat. 700 sounds excessive to me

Sounding very excessive to me now :( getting really cross and worked up!! Grrrr there'll be trouble if things don't work as they should after all this time!!!

The light test is not the bit I would focus on. Those bits are:

Does it power the fridge

charge the battery

power the ATC

Sort out the rear parking sensors whilst coupled and reset them afterwards.

I have known a lot fail those!

And is the battery charge/ATC system fused and sized at 20 Amps?

I agree with all this, however the van isn't to hand to check all this as I understand it?

Phil.

Sounding very excessive to me now :( getting really cross and worked up!! Grrrr there'll be trouble if things don't work as they should after all this time!!!

I would worry a great deal more if it was a £350 job!

I agree with all this, however the van isn't to hand to check all this as I understand it?

Phil.

Hopefully as the OP has gone professional and paying for that standard the operative will have the kit to test all those features and demonstrate them.

Also, hopefully the OP ordered the full UK set up, not the somewhat abridged version the German parent company would fit as standard.

Edited by JTQ

Everything ordered as required and verified by fitters so all should be fine so what his problem is I don't know :( we are now five and a half hours in . ... will be needing something to calm me down if it goes on much longer . ...:(