Toilet Liquids & Septic Tank - Confused.

Pebble

We're soon to be staying on a site for a couple of weeks where you have to empty your cassette into a septic tank.

We currently use blue in the cassette and pink in the flush tank. I'm aware that Thetford Green (suitable for septic tanks?) can replace the Blue but as a more cost effective and availability long term solution, should I use bio or non-bio washing liquid?

I know that a lot of you use bio liquid in cassette but, if I've got my facts right, bio liquid isn't good for septic tanks. So, should we be using bio or non-bio in the cassette and what about the pink in the flush? :unsure::unsure:

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Bio clothes washing products are excellent for septic tanks.

They are enzyme based and start the break down, just what the bacteria in the septic tank want.

They have been sold for years for their intended purpose to the countless thousands of people like us who have [had] septic sewage systems.

Tescos own, £1. 5ish for 28 treatments.

ps; never bother with the pink, but recall that was first rate at supporting algae growths, as black debris in the flush water, so no hint of worry there.

I do always empty my cassette every morning as the tank is too heavy otherwise for me. Note the bio has no colouriser or much disguising scent, but it sure slurrifies things.

Edited by JTQ

So Bio it is then. How much liquid per cassette, perhaps a capful (using the cap that comes with the bio bottle)?

Could you also use bio in the flush tank just to give a little odour to the flush?

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Have just found this which says non bio for septic tanks http://www. ecoverdirect. com/products/concentrated-laundry-liquid-non-biological/econbluenonbio. aspx?productid=econbluenonbio

Other threads and posts on the net also suggest non bio for septic tanks but how will non bio deal with the wee and poo in our cassette?

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Why not just use the correct green chemicals designed to mask the smell and break down stuff? You won't have to worry then

If away long term I can see why some may choose to save a few pennies but not if on a septic tank site for a couple fo weeks only. Plus lets face it its an unpleasant enough job as it is, why use something that won;t hide smell or sight of your last nights spag bol going down the chute. ... ;)

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

There is nothing wrong with putting non bio in septic tanks either, don't think it gives the tank the same initial help but does no harm and certainly does not suggest bio is unsuitable.

For your cassette you need that non bacterial breaking down the enzymes give, or you are in danger of bacteria action in the cassette; what the biocides of the normal fluids hold at bay.

I use a cap full per charge, at the price never explored if I could save by using less.

The own brands have no real amount of scent so I don't see an obvious reason to put it in the flush tank, can't on mine as they flush from the water system.

Why not just buy the correct Thetford Green and be done with it, its not that expensive

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S